Hybrid View

Office 2010 Question

This is an unusual question, but hopefully someone can answer it:

I bought two Office 2010 product key cards, 1 Office Professional and 1 Office Home & Student.
    The Office Professional was to install on my desktop, the home and student on my laptop that I ordered that will arrive in about two weeks.

When I started installing on my desktop, I used the Office installation tool shipped with the system and entered the product key code. As it began to install, I looked again and realized I'd entered the Home & Student code instead of Professional. I hit the cancel button while it was installing, and it did not complete installing. After that I installed Professional.

What I'm wondering is whether this Home and Student code, since the installation did not complete, can be used on my laptop once it arrives. Basically, does Microsoft permanently activate the software once you enter the key code or once the installation completes?

Anybody have an answer to this? I'd really hate to have lost $119 to this stupid mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by Evan H View Post
    What I'm wondering is whether this Home and Student code, since the installation did not complete, can be used on my laptop once it arrives. Basically, does Microsoft permanently activate the software once you enter the key code or once the installation completes?
    Activation usually happens after installation on both Windows and Office.

Thanks! I hope you're right. I suppose I'll find out once my laptop arrives.

Yes, the activation will happen normally after installation as it needs the software to be connected with the server at Windows to detect whether your key is valid or not.

Normally afterwards but if not, I'm sure Microsoft will have some sort of support in place to avoid paying again!