Best RAID for File Server for READ and WRITE

Hi,

Im thinking of getting a file server to hold all my data, and link to my network on a 1 x GBit crossover link to main machine and 1 x straight cable to switch, for rest of network.

Im thinking 4 x 500GB SATA II Western Digital Raid Edition 2 (750GB are just too expensive per GB at the moment).

I was just wondering what RAID you suggest. Baring in mind I WRITE just as much as I READ.

Redundancy is obviously a main part for discussion as well, however speed is my main concern.

Thanks all

Raid5 is great for file/backup server. If you want reliable, speedy and redundant, then Raid10 is all the way.
    Tommy Tran - tommy @ vinax.net ::: VINAX, LLC ::: http://vinax.net ::: Since 2004
    Premium Dedicated Servers and Colocation in downtown Chicago (350 E. Cermak Rd)
    Premium Bandwidth, 100% Network & Power Uptime SLA, 24/7 Prompt Tech Support

If you want pure speed, RAID 0 is the way to go. RAID10 is probably the best option for maximum speed+redundancy. RAID 0+1 is another option,

RAID 10, here is no other options.

Get a good RAID controller that has a lot of cache. Run it in RAID10 mode. Disable read cache, enable write cache and get a BBU.

In addition, you might want to try to get as much RAM as you can.

If you write just as much as read, and want redundancy, then IMO RAID10 is the way to go. RAID5 is fast for reading, but it's much too slow for writing, so I wouldn't suggest it. If you can fit 6 disks, try going for RAID50.
    Servers proudly hosted at... WebNX (10) - Netelligent (6)
    Also enjoying services from DreamHost, Hyperspin
    (#) indicates number of servers - 16 total

Thanks for all your replies.

I was thinking RAID 10, I would lose 50% of space but gain the speed.

As for the performance, would RAID 10 effectively double the read and write speed?

Also, some motherboards have RAID 10 on the board already, would I notice a massive difference if I bought a RAID controller for say $150 - $200 ? and if so, which one?

Quote Originally Posted by stuartornum View Post
    Thanks for all your replies.

I was thinking RAID 10, I would lose 50% of space but gain the speed.

As for the performance, would RAID 10 effectively double the read and write speed?

Also, some motherboards have RAID 10 on the board already, would I notice a massive difference if I bought a RAID controller for say $150 - $200 ? and if so, which one?
    RAID10 wouldn't double the speed on a standalone disk, you'd probably see in the region of 40-60% better performance depending on the controller.

It depends what comes on board, since RAID10 is quite complex most of the onboard controllers tend to be the same chips used in actual RAID cards. Onboard RAID0 / RAID1 tend to be software based and slow.

For RAID10 I'd advise going for a 3Ware 9550.

Dan
    █ Dan Kitchen | Technical Director | Razorblue
    █ ddi: (+44) (0)1748 900 680 | e: dkitchen@razorblue.com
    █ UK Intensive Managed Hosting, Clusters and Colocation.
    █ HP Servers, Cisco/Juniper Powered BGP Network (AS15692).

Hi,

I have just been looking how much this will all cost me, got one from a provider I normally use, here it is.. (its was $1450 by the way..)

Code:
    CPUIntel Pentium D 820 Dual Core 2.8GHz 800MHz 2x1MB LGA775

MainboardSupermicro PDSML-LN2+ LGA775/E7230/DDR2/SATA2/PCI-E/V&2GbE

CDRomNO Optical drive installed

Memory1GB DDR2 667 Kingston

Hard Drive4 x 500GB SATA2 Raid Ed hard drives installed 5yr warranty

ChassisSupermicro 1U CSE-813MT-300CB 4-SATA Hot Swap Chassis

SoftwareCentos installed

Heatsink/Heatsink FanDynatron P37G Socket 775 Core 2 Duo 1U CPU Fan

Raid CardsNO Raid Card installed
    The supermicro mobo has the Intel® ICH7R SATA controller built-in, so RAID 0, 1, 5 and 10 are available.

Would this be a good setup?

Thanks again

The supermicro mobo has the Intel® ICH7R SATA controller built-in, so RAID 0, 1, 5 and 10 are available.
    Avoid on-board RAID controllers at all cost. That's all I'm going to say.

I've had three 3ware 9550 cards set up in RAID 10 and all three have failed in the last 6 months leaving me with no recoverable data and four discs to do full checks on after the ashes settled. Never again. 3ware 8000 series, 2 port, RAID1 is the only way to go. Nice and simple. Rock solid reliable. And the cards are about $100 each. And yes, 750GB is a waste of money. 500GB is still more per GB than 320GB but better to have in the long run. Hitachi's seem to do better with the 3ware cards I have (much better) than any other major brands.

Get a decent Apaptec card and use RAID 10 or 50. LSI Logic also makes decent cards but the interface on them is a pain to use.
    Linux/BSD Systems Administrator