Hosts based outside the US and UK?

Just a general question here but does it put you off signing up with a host if their HQ's are not based in the US or UK?

For example, would you always choose a host based in the US or UK over a host based in India, China or the Phillippines (i.e. English not being their first language as per communication with techs/sales staff)?
    Gotta check out this superb site...
    http://www.thecelebritydatabase.com/forum/

Yup... because in the UK (and most of Europe) the Data Protection act requires us to ensure that all information is stored in a country which meets our DPA procedures. India, CHina and the Phillippines don't have the same legislation therefore it would be against the law for us to keep our info there without agreeing the same terms of the act.

Also, if anything does happen then it would be hard for us to take the correct legal steps to resolve the problem.

(i.e. English not being their first language as per communication with techs/sales staff)?
    I didn't think of that, though I suppose it could be an issue. Still, I imagine that most techs would know at least basic English, or how else would they learn to manage the servers?

What would worry me more would be the infrastructure and the laws (in China especially). Further, why would I host in that area of the world, when my sites are in English and mostly receive US based traffic?

Quote Originally Posted by ldcdc View Post
    Further, why would I host in that area of the world, when my sites are in English and mostly receive US based traffic?
    I think what they are saying is if the headquarters/operation was based out of one of those countries but the servers were not. Such as my servers are in Texas but I am in Indiana

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDVB View Post
    I think what they are saying is if the headquarters/operation was based out of one of those countries but the servers were not. Such as my servers are in Texas but I am in Indiana
    Thats what I meant to say - thanks.

The servers may be based in the UK/US but the actual hosting company are based overseas in India, China or the alike. Would that intially put you off using them as the techs/billing support staff etc may not use English as their first language.
    Gotta check out this superb site...
    http://www.thecelebritydatabase.com/forum/

Quote Originally Posted by dav View Post
    The servers may be based in the UK/US but the actual hosting company are based overseas in India, China or the alike. Would that intially put you off using them as the techs/billing support staff etc may not use English as their first language.
    It all depends on the specific host! If a host does have staff who are fluent in english and the host also meets all the other specifications I'm interested in (network, support response times, price, etc.) then I don't think most people would care a great deal.
    But at the same time, if a host was from the US or UK and couldn't speak english well then I'd be inclined to move on.

Assuming you have good english skills I can't imagine many people having an issue with your location.

Of course, I'm assuming we're talking about basic hosting and not spending hundreds or thousands of dollars on equipment. Then the legal issues other people have mentioned would begin to take priority.
    AdelaideHost - providing shared and VPS hosting.
    Reliability and professionalism at prices that don't hurt your wallet!