Migrating to IPv6

I am looking for options

a /64 IPv6 is around 4-15 USD per month with 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 IPs

a /24 IPv4 around 50-200 USD per month with 256 IPs

I guess all the datacenter are routing IPv6 without any trouble, but what about the software, Cpanel, WHMCS, openVZ, virtuozzo, vmware, xen, etc. someone is already selling servers or dedicated hosting with dedicated IPv6? what are the complications?

Thanks

A lot of the software has issues with it. But, more importantly, at least in the USA most residential ISP's don't offer it.
    AS395558

IPv6 can't and shouldn't replace IPv4 at this point. Dual stack is best.
    Hyperconnezion - your fast path to success
    IT management, Cloud and Data Center Services in Asia Pacific

IPV6 as part of a dual stack should be encouraged, but the only stack - well you need to be 100% sure that everyone who requires access has a 'V6 path to you from their chosen access device and provider.
    CPanel Shared and Reseller Hosting, OpenVZ VPS Hosting. West Coast (LA) Servers and Nodes
    Running Linux since 1.0.8 Kernel!
    Providing Internet Services since 1995 and Hosting Since 2004

There aren't many end-users that will be able to access your IPv6-only content. Choosing IPv4-only on the other side, means, you are not supporting the v6 development... as the others have already said, dual-stack is the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by ITGabs View Post
    a /24 IPv4 around 50-200 USD per month with 256 IPs
    You should easily get a /24 at under $100; if your provider is charging too much, you may want to look for external /24s which you can announce at your current datacenter.

You should not pay more than a setup fee, if the subnet is directly from your provider or datacenter. Datacenters usually receive a /32 or /36 from their RIR; /32 => 65k /48; /48 => 65k /64...
    SimpleLink provides /24 IPv4 to announce anywhere in North America and high IP/bandwidth servers => Open a ticket.

IPv6 isn't quite popular at this exact moment, the IPv4 business is still going well and always fits the most users.

As for IPv6 I would not recommend it since people will most commonly only be able to use it, when they get new routers and gateways. Which most don't have yet. So if you want to have the best use of your IPs, go for IPv4 and just stay away from IPv6 at this moment.

- Dennis
    RELIABLE VPS's - VPSslim.com - Located in the Serverius datacenter NL • INSTANT Setup!
    HostSlim EU | Shared hosting - Reseller hosting - Virtual Private Servers - Dedicated Servers - Streamhosting | Instant Setup | 24x7 Support!|

Quote Originally Posted by RRWH View Post
    IPV6 as part of a dual stack should be encouraged, but the only stack - well you need to be 100% sure that everyone who requires access has a 'V6 path to you from their chosen access device and provider.
    I think it's important for providers/webmasters to begin the process of implementing ipv6, but definitely in a dual stack configuration at this point.
    WHMEasyBackup.com - Take Control Of Your Backups!
    Complete Backup Solution For WHM Reseller Accounts

You simply cannot offer services with IPv6 only at the moment. Not enough end users is with networks that haven't implemented it yet...

As to your calculations... It is not working that way.

/64 of IPv6 is nothing. /64 is what you assign to the EU site, you are looking at /64 per VPS really.

Have a look at this RIPE document that helps to prepare address plan for IPv6: https://www.ripe.net/lir-services/tr...ssing-Plan.pdf.
    Clouvider Limited; Leading USA & Europe Cloud Hosting Solution Provider
    Web hosting in Cloud | VPS servers in 8 Datacenters with Intel Xeon and AMD Epyc CPUs | Private Cloud | Dedicated Servers | Colocation | Managed Services
    100% Uptime Guarantee | Fully Redundant | 24/7 Technical Support

Thanks for all the comments I will take a look at that pdf

I thought IPv6 had more penetration in the market, many countries have already migrated to a IPv6 infrastructure (I only remember Spain now)

I will check for a dual stack solution

Someone know if there is a IPv6 online tester, or something to check where are the IPv6 problems in a server?

I thought IPv6 had more penetration in the market, many countries have already migrated to a IPv6 infrastructure (I only remember Spain now)

Someone know if there is a IPv6 online tester, or something to check where are the IPv6 problems in a server?
    What kind of problem are you referring to? Or do you mean to ask a online tester to see how many end-users are able to use IPv6?

- Dennis
    RELIABLE VPS's - VPSslim.com - Located in the Serverius datacenter NL • INSTANT Setup!
    HostSlim EU | Shared hosting - Reseller hosting - Virtual Private Servers - Dedicated Servers - Streamhosting | Instant Setup | 24x7 Support!|

Take a look at this: https://www.google.com/intl/en/ipv6/statistics.html

The US and Europe are definitely paving the way, but overall penetration percentages are still quite low.
    QuadraNet.com™ - Enterprise Dedicated Servers, Cloud Hosting, and Colocation
    j.goldman@quadranet.com

Quote Originally Posted by HostSlim-DH View Post
    What kind of problem are you referring to? Or do you mean to ask a online tester to see how many end-users are able to use IPv6?

- Dennis
    Hi Dennis,

I found a online test http://test-ipv6.com/ to check user connections, but I am thinking in something a bit more complete for servers, like routing emails, DNS not only web traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by JGoldman View Post

The US and Europe are definitely paving the way, but overall penetration percentages are still quite low.
    Thanks! less than 5%!! and Spain apparently fail in the implementation still this is only the Google access, google sometimes have local servers very integrated into the ISPs, for example TOT in Thailand have google search almost in the same segment that the ISP uses, and sometimes the DNS service and the local routing doesn't work but google still works.

I am looking for options

One major issue with this is the provider's ability to support vast amounts of IPv6 neighbors. Without getting into a lot of detail, even the largest enterprise routers cannot handle a huge amount of neighbors. In lay terms, a much smaller fraction of the space is actually usable unless additional routers are deployed or the assignment is delegated to the customer's own downstream router, which itself will have limited capacity to support IPv6 neighbors.

Quote Originally Posted by JGoldman View Post

Another interesting set of traffic stats: https://ams-ix.net/technical/statist...s/ipv6-traffic

Even in the heart of Europe where IPv6 adoption is greatest -- IPv6 traffic is still a very small fraction of the total traffic that flows through the AMS-IX.
    ▄▀▄ Brian Harrison, Lead Engineer - Reprise Hosting (AS62838)
    ▄▀▄ Deals on cheap dedicated server hosting. IPMI included! Unmetered bandwidth.
    ▄▀▄ Website migration, 24/7/365 support, basic server setup, 15 day money back.
    ▄▀▄ Looking for DEALS on self-managed cheap VPS hosting? Visit VPSHostingDEAL.com