Hybrid View

* How to get current port speed information ?

Hello, I need to get quick info for my script how many of my basic 100 Mbps port speed remain or is in use. I mean how many of my 100 Mbps speed is used by downloading, website (css, jpg, etc), movies watching on my website every second.

Have you got any reliable way to get this info ?

Thanks for help.

The following is for linux based servers

For general checking while I was testing streaming videos, I found IPTraf to be pretty decent (basic, but decent)

You can probably google it to find it, but if you are on an OS using yum, you can just do yum install iptraf

Then from shell, just enter iptraf (move around to find the monitoring you need)

-Greg

Yes I am on CENTOS, great thanks for help Greg I will check it ;]

You also can use iftop utility. It shows speed per connection or per ports, depends on filters you use.

Thanks guy but I want to use this info to make some calculations in my script so it should be easy and FAST. Which approach is best(fast) here ? ;]

Quote Originally Posted by Mondo90 View Post
    Thanks guy but I want to use this info to make some calculations in my script so it should be easy and FAST. Which approach is best(fast) here ? ;]
    as I said before I don't want only know how speed is port but depending on value of port speed make some calculations, ;]

With IP Traf, what I did was sit and watched the the network while myself and 4 other people that I know to have decent connections all hit my server to start streaming a video of of it, kept watching it to do a rough guess on an average.

It was very basic and very quick, but gave me a good rough estimate to see how many people at once could stream the video from my server since I had a client interested in getting his own server for videos (In the end, I convinced the customer to use Vimeo, especially once they started their new business plan)

IS any cpan module which can give me this information ?

WGET some small file from any other location from ssh and see how much speed it is having.