Dedicated (and virtual) hosting in the US

Hi all. My client currently has a number of dedicated servers with Fasthosts, and 1&1 in the UK/Germany. We have the requirement for a US version of the system, and looking to get a number of dedicated servers (or virtual over there).

I have had experience with a number of UK hosting providers (1&1, Fasthosts, Dedipower, Rackspace, QinetiQ, etc) over the years, and probably looking for someone in the FH/1&1 kind of range in the US. I have never purchased or controlled a US hosting server, and so looking for recommendations, or maybe a company NOT to use/avoid, etc.

The client in the US has recommended 'Total choice Hosting' (can't post the URL here yet) but are they any good, what else is out there, etc?

This will just be used for hosting (i.e. not looking at email, or other services). It's a bespokse system, and will be running it on either Debian or Ubuntu (would rather avoid CentOS/RH, due to personal reasons). Also will be looking for multiple servers (Web, DB, failover, mirrors, mailers, etc).

Regards,
    Martin

I've never heard of totalchoicehosting(.com?) so I can't comment on them. I would say, avoid fasthosts/1&1(same company) at all costs, the reviews of them on here are very bad, and I myself had a diabolical experience with them, anyway onto US hosts (in no particular order):-

Hosts that I have personal experience with that aren't budget providers, and would recommend:
    ColoCrossing, GigeNet, LiquidWeb (however I believe they're CentOS only, I'm not 100% sure), Hivelocity.

Other hosts that I've heard good things about, contacted sales, and would consider using in future:
    LimestoneNetworks, ReliableSite, SingleHop, Choopa, Steadfast, WebNX, Hostdime, Voxel

Edit:
    The hardware on totalchoicehosting.com is pretty ancient, so I wouldn't recommend them (even if they offer up to date hardware, the fact that they offer old hardware as standard isn't a good sign). Also there are many other US hosts out there, I've just picked the onces I have experience with, or had good experiences with sales and seen good reviews. Also any particular US state/location in mind?
    Last edited by sam0; 03-21-2012 at 12:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sam0 View Post
    Other hosts that I've heard good things about/would consider using in future: reliablesite
    Thanks for the mention. To the OP, are you looking for a cluster of servers?

Hello. Did you have space requirements, and possibly a budget you are working with? What is most important in a system you are looking for?

Sam, thanks for those, I am looking through a few of them now. Yes I understand the 'complaints' around FH/1&1, but I could tell you some horror stories of 'premium' providers such as Dedipower, and QinetiQ for example I have had, well...

OK. Cost, well we're looking at the options atm. I have not been told the budget yet, but looking at getting this soon (we spend around £1k inc VAT on our UK hosting pm, atm), but don't want to come to that kind of figure yet in the US.

Requirements, we would need to be able to scale (add servers over time). Space requirements aren't too bad, i.e. the web servers on our highly used European servers are 20GB for the Web, and around 30GB for the databases. But yeah space isn't the massive requirement. I guess a good network speed between the boxes (nice to have the DB and Web server close would be a good thing). Also I've not really calculated bandwidth usage over time, as most of the providers I've used have un metered hosts, although saying that we never exceeded our bandwidth with Dedipowers standard bandwidth.

The database server I would like at least a quad core, with a good amount of RAM, HDD space not so important.

I know I am being vague, but this is the situation really. Good response speed to our US customers is obviously another important factor (does east/west coast make a massive difference?)

Thanks again guys.

Martin

Hosts that I have personal experience with that aren't budget providers, and would recommend:
    Hivelocity.
    Thanks for that sam0!

I've never heard of totalchoicehosting(.com?) so I can't comment on them. I would say, avoid fasthosts/1&1(same company) at all costs, the reviews of them on here are very bad, and I myself had a diabolical experience with them, anyway onto US hosts (in no particular order):-

ColoCrossing, GigeNet, LiquidWeb (however I believe they're CentOS only, I'm not 100% sure), Hivelocity.

Other hosts that I've heard good things about, contacted sales, and would consider using in future:
    LimestoneNetworks, ReliableSite, SingleHop, Choopa, Steadfast, WebNX, Hostdime, Voxel

Edit:
    The hardware on totalchoicehosting.com is pretty ancient, so I wouldn't recommend them (even if they offer up to date hardware, the fact that they offer old hardware as standard isn't a good sign). Also there are many other US hosts out there, I've just picked the onces I have experience with, or had good experiences with sales and seen good reviews. Also any particular US state/location in mind?
    yeah, thanks for the shout out.

LiquidWeb (however I believe they're CentOS only, I'm not 100% sure),
    Liquid Web's OS options include: CentOS, Windows, Debian, Ubuntu, ArchLinux & CloudLinux.

Quote Originally Posted by LiquidWebTravis View Post
    Liquid Web's OS options include: CentOS, Windows, Debian, Ubuntu, ArchLinux & CloudLinux.
    I don't want do derail thread, but my apologies, I've just re-examined previous sales emails and you said that you only provide CentOS managed, but Debian etc self managed. Also on your website order process you can only select CentOS.

Do you offer Debian managed now too (I know OP didn't list management as a requirement)?

I don't want do derail thread, but my apologies, I've just re-examined previous sales emails and you said that you only provide CentOS managed, but Debian etc self managed. Also on your website order process you can only select CentOS.

Do you offer Debian managed now too (I know OP didn't list management as a requirement)?
    We do offer management on the other distributions but not our full Heroic Support. We have a level of management we call "Self Managed", which does include management, just not our top level of management. http://www.liquidweb.com/support/compare.html

Hi to all,

@RSnetJohn, I was looking at your website but is very difficult to read through due to the colours the page has been built with. Don't know if someone else has commented on this but I think some colour/site redesign would keep more visitors focused.

If not known you from WHT I wouldn't have had a second look.

Best