I made the mistake of downloading a (bad) program about a month ago. The damn thing really screwed up a lot of my multimedia settings. I think I have most back to normal. But here's the problem.

Whenever I reboot (Win98SE), it always stops at a page that says that system.ini in my registry is looking for a certain driver that is missing. It says that the missing file is vpaec.vxd. I have to hit a key to continue.

So I do a search on my hard drive and found it in an ATI Multimedia folder. I don't use the ATI anymore on my computer. I see the file vpaec.vxd in there, but I don't know what to do with it.

I also did the regedit thing and searched the registry for that file. I found it in

MyComputer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Doc Find Spec MRU

Frankly, the registry scares the heck out of me. I don't want to touch it unless I'm 100% sure of what I'm doing.

So the magic question. What do I do so that I can go back to rebooting without that page stopping the reboot halfway?

As always, thanks for your help.

Vito