US Unmanaged Server with IPMI or iDRAC

I just tried Sharktech.net to replace a BurstNET dedicated server. They initially told me that they'd keep my old BurstNET server alive until after I transitioned data onto their servers. However, apparently the data center took the decision away from them and made them break their promise. Fortunately, I have backups. I leased a Xeon X3470, 24GB RAM, 2x2TB HD, Unmetered 100Mbps, RAID 0 server. After 6 days of provisioning failures, I'm told that the hardware is not compatible with CentOS 6.5 x64 (NIC driver failures), but that CentOS 6.4 would work. Because I want the latest CentOS Security Updates, it is not acceptable to be limited to servers that I can't just do a yum update on. They're still looking to see if they can provide me with some server that will work, but I'm worried that they can't at this point.

So, I'm on the search for an unmanaged dedicated server in the US with remote access (IPMI or iDRAC) so that I can do RAID and CentOS 6.5 x64 configuration myself. I'm looking for 24GB of RAM and 2x2TB HD. And, of course, I'm looking for the lowest price with a company that has a good connection to the internet. I'm very capable of doing all of the server configuration and maintenance, so all I need is a company that can give me good, reliable hardware with good connectivity, at very good prices. I have customers in both the West Coast as well as East Coast, so if the company has multiple data centers, that's a plus.

Are there any companies that match this need with good reviews?
    Steve Amerige
    Fat Bear Incorporated
    www.fatbear.com

Hi There! You should have absolutely no problems finding a host to meet those requirements as they are quite reasonable. What kind of budget are you working with? Also what location?
    Steadfast: Dedicated Servers and Premium Colocation - New Jersey, Chicago
    jeremy @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689 x218
    New Datacenter In New Jersey Now Available!

Keep in mind the lowest price will not always get you good support or reliable hardware. What is your budget for this server?
    Respectfully,
    Mr. Terrence

These days most providers can offer you IPMI/DRAC access to get everything configured remotely.
    Do you give priority over price or like to spend a bit more for quality?
    » www.InstantDedicated.com - Online in no time
    » Dedicated Servers in [EU] Netherlands + Belgium with DAILY support, also on weekends
    » 3.2 Tbit/s Network AS49453 with only 100 Gbit/s uplink backbone
    » 1G/10G/40G/100 Gbit ports available | 99,99% Network Uptime goal

Hi Jeremy,

I'm thinking in the $100-130/month range. I see that ovh.com has their SP-64 offer of E5-1620v2 CPU, 64GB RAM, 2x2TB HD, 256IPs (guessing with justification), and 1 x 1Gbps NIC... for $109.00.

They use software RAID. I'm looking for RAID 0 on a 2x2TB to give me 4TB with perhaps some performance boost from striping. I need custom partitioning so that the / filesystem has the bulk of the disk storage. I'd want a /boot of 1GB, swap of 1.5 x RAM total (e.g., 64GB of RAM => 96GB of swap). And, I'd want NO /home partition.

I'll be turning the server into a KVM hypervisor.
    Last edited by fatbear; 07-29-2014 at 02:24 PM.
    Steve Amerige
    Fat Bear Incorporated
    www.fatbear.com

@24x7group - Price is important. I can take care of nearly any configuration issue for RAID and CentOS 6.5x64. All I need is the best hardware for $100-130/month on a good network.
    Steve Amerige
    Fat Bear Incorporated
    www.fatbear.com

Quote Originally Posted by fatbear View Post
    Hi Jeremy,

I'm thinking in the $100-130/month range. I see that ovh.com has their SP-64 offer of E5-1620v2 CPU, 64GB RAM, 2x2TB HD, 256IPs (guessing with justification), and 1 x 1Gbps NIC... for $109.00.

They use software RAID. I'm looking for RAID 0 on a 2x2TB to give me 4TB with perhaps some performance boost from striping. I need custom partitioning so that the / filesystem has the bulk of the disk storage. I'd want a /boot of 1GB, swap of 1.5 x RAM total (e.g., 64GB of RAM => 96GB of swap). And, I'd want NO /home partition.

I'll be turning the server into a KVM hypervisor.
    Just an FYI, OVH only has one location in North America and its located in Canada.
    Respectfully,
    Mr. Terrence

RAID0 should be avoided unless you don't care at all about your data. With 2 drives, if either drive fails, you will lose all of your data. Even if your data isn't important or backed up, I'd still recommend doing RAID1 for a small part of the drives, to install your OS on, and then you can use the rest of the disk space in RAID0. RAID1 still gives you double the read speeds of a single disk, it just doesn't give you double the write speed. However, if one of the hard drives fail, you will still have your data and if your server has hot swap drive bays, you can even replace the failed drive with your server still running. Otherwise, doing an OS install from scratch and setting up your environment all over again could result in hours of downtime.
    ASTUTE INTERNET: Advanced, customized, and scalable solutions with AS54527 Premium Performance and Canadian Optimized Network (Level3, Shaw, CogecoPeer1, GTT/Tinet),
    AS63213 Cost Effective High Performance Network (Cogent, HE, GTT/Tinet)
    Dedicated Hosting, Colo, Bandwidth, and Fiber out of Vancouver, Seattle, LA, Toronto, NYC, and Miami

Quote Originally Posted by hhw View Post
    RAID0 should be avoided unless you don't care at all about your data.
    Our server philosophy is based on failure as a reality. So, we take servers, turn them into KVM hypervisors, create VMs with snapshotting, backup to other servers, and otherwise have some High Availability features. So, in fact, we don't care at all if failure happens because we are planning on failure happening and have processes that deal with it. We want to deal with servers as commodities. It is perfectly fine if they die. We'll just replace them.
    Steve Amerige
    Fat Bear Incorporated
    www.fatbear.com

Quote Originally Posted by fatbear View Post
    I just tried Sharktech.net to replace a BurstNET dedicated server. They initially told me that they'd keep my old BurstNET server alive until after I transitioned data onto their servers. However, apparently the data center took the decision away from them and made them break their promise. Fortunately, I have backups. I leased a Xeon X3470, 24GB RAM, 2x2TB HD, Unmetered 100Mbps, RAID 0 server. After 6 days of provisioning failures, I'm told that the hardware is not compatible with CentOS 6.5 x64 (NIC driver failures), but that CentOS 6.4 would work. Because I want the latest CentOS Security Updates, it is not acceptable to be limited to servers that I can't just do a yum update on. They're still looking to see if they can provide me with some server that will work, but I'm worried that they can't at this point.

So, I'm on the search for an unmanaged dedicated server in the US with remote access (IPMI or iDRAC) so that I can do RAID and CentOS 6.5 x64 configuration myself. I'm looking for 24GB of RAM and 2x2TB HD. And, of course, I'm looking for the lowest price with a company that has a good connection to the internet. I'm very capable of doing all of the server configuration and maintenance, so all I need is a company that can give me good, reliable hardware with good connectivity, at very good prices. I have customers in both the West Coast as well as East Coast, so if the company has multiple data centers, that's a plus.

Are there any companies that match this need with good reviews?
    fatbear, I'm terribly sorry for the problems you were having with your system with us. The problem with your OS compatibility with the NIC was resolved earlier today. Unfortunately due to a mis-communication on our end there is a bug fix for the compatibility issue you were experiencing that was already embedded in our CentOS6.5 OS install which the tech on duty wasn't aware of. When you did the install using IPMI you did not have the fix and that caused the confusion. As far as I am told your problem has been fixed.

Regarding the Burstnet data you were trying to recover. We have notified all Burstnet customers at the LA facility that by Monday 07/28/2014 9AM PST burstnet will go dark and urged everyone to complete a backup before this happens.

We have been providing you and other burstnet customers access to Burstnet service for the past 3 weeks at no cost to you or Burstnet.

Hi Tim,

Thank you for your feedback. I was getting quite frustrated as I would tell the techs that there was a problem and they wanted to just reinstall the OS or do other things that just didn't address the underlying problem. I do acknowledge that the problem is of a kind that would require someone knowledgeable to address it. I only wish it didn't take 6 days to get to where we are now.

Here's the link to the problem: Supermicro CentOS 6.5 NIC bug

Regarding the BurstNET data: I didn't receive any notification (I checked my e-mail and Junk). Perhaps that is because I'm a relatively-new customer. But, I have the data backed up anyway, so I haven't lost anything. It's just too bad that you were in a position where you had to backtrack on a promise. But, that nothwithstanding, it is very understandable give the situation regarding BurstNET. I don't hold this against you at all.

Okay, so that is the past and I do appreciate that everyone was courteous and tried to do their best.

I will continue with this server, but I'm also tempted at looking at OVH's servers for $109 that offer 64GB of RAM and 4TB of disk space. I like to have servers in multiple data centers for safety's sake. So, everyone: I'm still open to your recommendations for servers that meet me criteria above.

Again, thanks Tim for the message.
    Last edited by fatbear; 07-29-2014 at 04:10 PM.
    Steve Amerige
    Fat Bear Incorporated
    www.fatbear.com

fatbear;

Again I apologize for the inconvenience and the frustration this has caused. It taking 6 days for being resolved is unacceptable to say the least. Please if this issue ever reaches more than 12 hours and it not being resolved ask whom ever is handling your issue to escalate it or notify me about it.