View Poll Results: Do you offer FrontPage Extensions?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

6 12.77%
  • No

41 87.23%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    The small number of clients that actually still use that old garbage make keeping it around just ridiculous business practice.

Go ahead, keep on wasting time and money supporting the minimal number of clients that don't want to change. Meanwhile, the rest of the world has moved on.

bless you Laurence - your customers should be thanking you daily

we dumped frontpage support ages ago (beyound best effort) - and started migrating all customers on legacy servers to newer servers without frontpage 3-4 years ago. Our last server which still has frontpage enabled is being consolidated/taken end of life as we speak - I am so relieved we got through this without anything serious happening...

its just not reasonable to expect support for a platform thats been dead and buried so long. its a no win scenario, something goes brutally wrong and your server gets hacked via any number of ways on something without any support or updates for a decade or so, you're the bad guy anyway. take down frontpage, and again, you're the bad guy. so, the only rational option is to do the right thing - and in this case its to get off of frontpage as quickly as possible
    www.cartika.com
    www.clusterlogics.com - You simply cannot run a hosting company without this software. Backups, Disaster Recovery, Big Data, Virtualization. 20 years of building software that solves your problems

Quote Originally Posted by mrzippy View Post

Anyway... we can argue about this all day, but again, I see no business related reason to remove frontpage from our servers. Unless there is a security related issue, then it just doesn't make sense to purposely upset paying customers for no reason other than "it's old".

its up to you of course. if you deem the risk to be low, then that is your call and I respect that completely.

I dont know about linux, as we never ran frontpage on linux - windows only. but, I dont even think frontpage runs on modern windows at all. I think the last version of windows frontpage runs on is 2003 - and I think running 2003 alone is enough of a security concern these days. we have ONE shared Windows 2003 server left. Another week or so and we should be in the clear and happy to have the entire frontpage journey behind us...
    www.cartika.com
    www.clusterlogics.com - You simply cannot run a hosting company without this software. Backups, Disaster Recovery, Big Data, Virtualization. 20 years of building software that solves your problems

Quote Originally Posted by twhiting9275 View Post
    The small number of clients that actually still use that old garbage make keeping it around just ridiculous business practice.

Go ahead, keep on wasting time and money supporting the minimal number of clients that don't want to change. Meanwhile, the rest of the world has moved on.
    Perhaps small to you... but they are not small to me. Let's work the numbers and see.

From our last audit, we have 48 customers who are actively using frontpage. Each of them have at least subscribed to a plan that costs them $25/month. (I know this, because it's the cheapest plan we offer that allows frontpage.) That's $1200 in revenue from these frontpage customers whom you are suggested we "drop" simply because frontpage is "old".

It must be nice that you have such a big business that it doesn't matter if you drop some customers simply because you don't like the old software they choose to use.

EDIT:
    And let's not forget that keeping frontpage around costs you *nothing*. There is no security risk (at this point). There is no compatibility risk. There is no technical reason to remove it from our servers. The *only* reason to remove it would be because it is old/outdated. It literally costs *nothing* for us to serve this $1200 worth of customers.
    We are eNom PLATINUM PLUS resellers!
    Sign up today for an eNom.com reseller account with lowest possible pricing.
    * We provide support and service to over 4275 happy eNom domain name and SSL certificate resellers!

It must be nice that you have such a big business that it doesn't matter if you drop some customers simply because you don't like the old software they choose to use.

its not about the size of a business and "dropping" customers. I know you say you havent seen any security problems with frontpage (consider yourself lucky, as we have seen quite a few). its not rational business sense to support a dead platform. Lets assume there are zero exploits out there for frontpage (which isnt true). Tomorrow, a new one could be identified, that in theory, could result in root/administrative access to a server. is that really worth whatever revenue you are generating?

in my personal opinion - you are much better off working with customers to get them off frontpage extensions. it doesnt need to be to wordpress/joomla or whatever. there are other options. You are doing them a favour at the end of the day and you are doing your job. its a tough job sometimes, but, its not your job to try and support something that is so far out of date. it is explicitly however, your job, to keep your infrastructure, services and platforms up to date and modern. Sometimes this gets lost, especially when customers do not want to change (and I understand this as well) - but, they are paying you to explicitly manage these sorts of things for them, and sometimes that involves making difficult decisions and sometimes it involves change...
    www.cartika.com

Quote Originally Posted by cartika-andrew View Post
    I dont even think frontpage runs on modern windows at all.
    It doesn't, but I think the last version that was supported (server wise) was 2008, not 2003. Then again, I could be wrong

Perhaps small to you... but they are not small to me. Let's work the numbers and see.
    They are the minority, and there's a reason they are.
    These are the same customers that run old pc's with old software and virii that infects the world.

These are the same people that DO run things like wordpress and joomla (not all customers stick to just one platform, many do have multiple sites) that again do not keep them up to date.

And let's not forget that keeping frontpage around costs you *nothing*.
    The level of support required for FP extensions alone never made it worth it. However, now that they're done and over, it's more problematic and costly to deal with these customers.

Quote Originally Posted by twhiting9275 View Post
    The level of support required for FP extensions alone never made it worth it. However, now that they're done and over, it's more problematic and costly to deal with these customers.
    Requires very little if any support. Every client is precious and I'd rather it cost me to have some clients than not having them at all. I'd much rather have a need FrontPage client with no technical skills than a client expecting to host 500gb of MP3s on a $5/mo plan. Okay, those clients aren't precious. *Most* are.
    Laurence Flynn @ HostNEXUS.com
    Managed WordPress Hosting Solutions
    Focused on speed. Obsessed with security.

We recently did an update and removed support for it. As much as I love to support every feature our customers need, sometimes you have to draw the line in the sand somewhere.

So far we have only had a few complaints, and we worked with those customers to educate them and explain why we made the decision.

Education is power.

Some customers just don't like change. If they've been using it for years and "if it isn't broken, then don't fix it!" Explaining to them why the reason to not use FrontPage will help a lot...
    Hosting And Designs L.L.C. Online Since 2002 --> https://www.hostinganddesigns.com
    Direct sales rep: Lars Jensen 503-999-7518

We dont offer frontpage. It is at End of Life
    WebHosting should be easy, it should just work.
    Durb.co Web Hosting

We have a hundred or so clients still happily using FP extensions in their accounts. It's bringing in $36,000+ a year in revenue, the servers are no less secure, and the clients are happy.

They know it's old, they know other options exist, but they want to continue using it to update their sites. We have no problem running old software if it does not present a risk to the server.

Win-win in my book. We'll gladly take these "terrible" clients off anyone's hands and have them happily update their site.

We're offering frontpage extensions, but barely someone use it.
    BeltHosting.com Staff. Shared Web Hosting | Reseller Web Hosting | IRCD Hosting | psyBNC/sBNC/eggdrop/znc Hosting
    xShellz Linux Shell & IRCD Hosting.
    24/7 Live & Ticket Support

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12