Cheaper Than HostGator?

I've been looking for the "right" host for awhile now, and I need some help!

Below is a comparison chart of what I've researched thus far (based on cheapest linux plan and SHORTEST contract):

hostgator 350gb/3000gb $8.95/mo (monthly)
    lunarpages 1500gb/15000gb $9.95/mo (3mo contract)
    1and1 10gb/300gb $3.99/mo (3mo contract)
    site5 750gb/7500gb $10.50/mo + $29.95 setup (3mo contract)
    dreamhost 500gb/5000gb $10.95/mo + $49.95 setup (monthly)
    hostpapa 1500gb/15000gb $7.95/mo (1yr contract)
    ixwebhosting unl/unl $8.95/mo + $30 setup (3mo contract)
    anhosting 500gb/5000gb $unknown (too hard to find contract)
    hostican 600gb/6500gb $11.95/mo + $29.95 setup (3mo contract)
    bluehost 1500gb/15000gb $9.95/mo + $30 setup (3mo contract)
    hostmonster 1500gb/15000gb $8.95/mo + $30 setup (3mo contract)
    hostexcellence 300gb/3000gb $12.97 + $30 setup (3mo contract)

1and1, while being the cheapest, has extremely bad reviews. I can't go with them. HostGator, on the other hand, has good reviews, but I prefer not to pay $8.95/mo when honestly I'm never going to use most of that disk space and bw!

My requirements are:
    - ability to change dns zone file for spf, mx, cname, etc. (very important!)
    - 1gb minimum hdd space. (more the merrier)
    - 20gb bw/mo (give or take)

Can anyone recommend any other host that is better suited for me? This will just be a small family website.

Hi!

you've got a list of some of the biggest oversellers in the game If you don't know what overselling means, just do a search here on the forums and you will read all about it.

I had good experiene with HostGator so far. Have my account on and off for about a year now, and it just works. Eventhough you won't use all that space and bandwidth (you can't even use it, welcome to overselling) they are a very decent host and 9 bucks is actually not much for hosting.

Well, i'll give you some insight on 1&1. I recently was helping a fellow friend integrate a form into his website but the only problem it wouldn't work. We then figured out the reason why is because 1&1 will not allow you to create your own custom form but only allow you to use one of their premade ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt.G View Post
    Well, i'll give you some insight on 1&1. I recently was helping a fellow friend integrate a form into his website but the only problem it wouldn't work. We then figured out the reason why is because 1&1 will not allow you to create your own custom form but only allow you to use one of their premade ones.
    They control to many aspects of their hosting is what it comes down to.

OP, nice list. Check the offers forum to see if there is anything in there that meets your needs.

For a longer duration , you get a much better price

You can save some money by using hostgator's 20% off Valentine's coupon (HEART).

Question

This will just be a small family website
    well...a very small family website that uses 1,5 Tb space and 15 Tb bandwith. Is your family that big? Or will your family website became Google number 2 after popularity?
    I would pick no company from your list: all oversell heavily. What I suggest is: calculate your real requirements, raise a little your budget (some 50$ a year is not that expensive, right?), pay for 1 year and post it at hosting offers.
    Besides, maybe 5 gigs space and 100 gigs bandwith would be suitable for you?

mochafd, go ahead.
    Now I would recomend you create short list of presales questions and ask all of them.
    Pay atantion on responce time. Once your list is shorten to 2-3 companies make sure they provide money back and give atry to each of them.
    ServerPoint.com - a true hosting company offering online presence solutions since 1998.
    >>Web Hosting, colocation, dedicated servers and virtual private dedicated servers.
    >>>>Wholly owned multi homed network, servers and facilities.

try ******.com too,however you can never use that much resource without abusing server

Have you checked out Downtown Host? They have a number of positive reviews here at WHT and they might be quite suitable for your website(s).

Regarding: Downtown Host 5gb/100gb $15.95/mo (monthly)

Well, their hdd/bw specs are fine, but their prices are too high for a month to month contract. I also never like commit myself for long contracts, especially with new hosts!

I've been teetering on webzpro.com though. They are 2.5gb/100gb $4.95/mo (monthly). Sounds like a pretty good deal, but I'll call them later today to ask a few questions and to try and get some reassurance.
    Last edited by mochafd; 02-19-2008 at 07:54 AM.

I think you should check WHT and see how many people gave Downtownhost positive reviews and how many wrote negative ones. They are not so new, if I am not wrong, they are 5 years old. But the choice is yours.
    Please be sure to examine WHT and find reputable host first (the fact is, you will hardly use 1 gigabyte of storage!), then see to that host prices.

Quote Originally Posted by mochafd View Post
    Regarding: Downtown Host 5gb/100gb $15.95/mo (monthly)

Well, their hdd/bw specs are fine, but their prices are too high for a month to month contract. I also never like commit myself for long contracts, especially with new hosts!

I've been teetering on webzpro.com though. They are 2.5gb/100gb $4.95/mo (monthly). Sounds like a pretty good deal, but I'll call them later today to ask a few questions and to try and get some reassurance.
    I checked almost all the reviews about down town. It says they are good .

Long list there. If you are so hung up on the price, you could check out Inmotionhosting, they've got some $3.00/month deal. But you have to prepay for ... two years I think it was ... plus there are other restrictions
    Web Hosting Reviews — based on real customer feedback
    77 Ways To More Traffic

Wow, I don't know if this was purely coincidence, but you've compiled a list of some of the biggest oversellers I've seen. Don't worry about the space and bandwidth they offer, you will never come close to that threshold, which doesn't matter since you won't need much.

The company I work for, I've recently setup with UberHost. I would give them a try.