Vps for a big wordpress website

I will launch a ftiness websites based on wordpress.It will have 800 onsite videos each about like 20-30 seconds and some over a few minutes.There will be some big plugins for scheduling,members login and etc.All together it will be a website like bodybuilding.com.

It might get like 5-6 thousand hits per day or more.I suppose an ordinary shared or reseller account won't be enough for the resource it needs.

I have been looking at good deals for vps and dedicated servers.I found the black friday deals of turnkey internet still running in the last moments.I liked their 8 core cloud vps with 8Gb ram.How about I go with them to host this website and some others next year?

I need you guys opinions about the websites resource usage and the hardware required to host it to big number of users.

Are you planning to stream the videos directly from the VPS? If so you may want to look at a dedicated server and not a VPS.
    Respectfully,
    Mr. Terrence

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Terrence View Post
    Are you planning to stream the videos directly from the VPS? If so you may want to look at a dedicated server and not a VPS.

The turnkey vps are as good as dedicated servers according to the specs.8X2ghz cores and 8Gb ram is what most dedicated servers have right?

Quote Originally Posted by sameev29 View Post
    The turnkey vps are as good as dedicated servers according to the specs.8X2ghz cores and 8Gb ram is what most dedicated servers have right?
    No, VPS runs on a shared environment. Dedicated servers are entirely dedicated to you (none shared) You can have anywhere from 512MB - 512GB of RAM or even more depending on the hardware configuration.

If you are willing to pay a decent price the possibilities are endless.
    Respectfully,
    Mr. Terrence

No, VPS runs on a shared environment. Dedicated servers are entirely dedicated to you (none shared) You can have anywhere from 512MB - 512GB of RAM or even more depending on the hardware configuration.

If you are willing to pay a decent price the possibilities are endless.
    Okay.But the vps are also small dedicated servers.Resources are allocated to them as well and I don't have to share them right?

Quote Originally Posted by sameev29 View Post
    Okay.But the vps are also small dedicated servers.Resources are allocated to them as well and I don't have to share them right?
    The are dedicated to a certain extent and hosting 800 videos on them is not a good idea because you will be flagged for resource abuse.

Some dedicated server can't even handle that many videos.
    Respectfully,
    Mr. Terrence

The are dedicated to a certain extent and hosting 800 videos on them is not a good idea because you will be flagged for resource abuse.

Some dedicated server can't even handle that many videos.
    Do you think it's a good idea to host them offsite?

VPS / Cloud has certain aspects that are shared (network port shared among several virtual servers, disk/SAN access shared among many servers too) - and some providers utilizing lower end virtualization (like OpenVZ or Virtuozzo) do 'share' memory and disk too. So in cases like that, a dedicated server is truly dedicated all resources to you.

Cloud/VPS servers hosted on more powerful modern virtualization used by the big companies, such as Vmware or Xen, or KVM, use hardware virtualization and partition the ram and disk space so its not shared at all, it is dedicated to you. So in cases like that its as good as a dedicated server, and more cost effective.

So it varies - if you are looking at VPS vs Dedicated you want to ask your vendor what virtualization they use, do they share/burst ram, do they share/over-subscribe san/disk etc. That's where you need to focus on dedicated resources.
    Colohouse | P: 877-539-4638 | E: hello@colohouse.com
    Dedicated Servers | Cloud VPS | Colocation | Web Hosting | Public & Private Cloud | IaaS & DRaaS
    Data Centers: New York | Chicago | Miami | Colorado | California | Amsterdam