Two alternatives, which one is better

Hello,

I'm looking for hosting to a Drupal based site (MySQL intensive) that can take traffic peaks of more than 10,000 users/hour.

The two Options I came down to are:

LUNARPAGES

lunarpages.com/plan3.php

Webmin included. Cpanel +$35/month
    Dedicated Server 512M RAM 80G HD 1000G Traffic - Intel Celeron!

HOSTING.COM

hosting.com/hosting/vps/linux-vps-hosting.asp?sn=2
    Virtual private server
    Pentium 4, 256M RAM, 7G HD, 1000G Traffic

My question is - which option is more powerful for MySQL intensive drupal site that needs to take high traffic spikes -

Celeron 2Ghz dedicated with 512M RAM

or

Penium4 Virtual Private Server with 256M RAM ?

Thanks,

N.

256 to 512 MB of ram for a high intensive MYSQL website? I think you better spend more money on more memory, cause memory is THE important factor on MYSQL intensive websites. I would not choose either the first or the second offer you had in mind, search for a more powerful server with more memory, that's my advice I can give you.

I would start with a Pentium 4 2.8 ghz+ and 2 gb ram and go from there. And, I would choose neither provider. Some excellent providers are:

(In no particular order of best to worst)

The Planet/ServerMatrix
    Layeredtech
    Liquidweb
    transatlanticglobal/GNAX

A Celeron with an IDE drive and 512 MB can easily give you 12 PHP hits/10 MySQL queries per second which is a milion hits daily. Static files, of course, increase hits.

That can give you 30 or 40 simultaneous users. Depending on how many updates you do. MySQL cache works great for SELECT only statements.

Do you need more?

Thanks for the tips. I'll go for LayeredTech. It's going to be a challange because I know nothing about Linux and I took self managed server. But I like challanges. If you have any advice for newbiew to linux on what I should do to get the server up please let me know ( It will use Debian/ Plesk)

Quote Originally Posted by nbdr
    Thanks for the tips. I'll go for LayeredTech. It's going to be a challange because I know nothing about Linux and I took self managed server. But I like challanges. If you have any advice for newbiew to linux on what I should do to get the server up please let me know ( It will use Debian/ Plesk)
    Just do us a favor and don't come back blaming LT if/when you screw things up? It takes a particular type of person to work with them in sync, so just keep that in mind. Do yourself a favor and hire an outside management company to at least secure your new server, if not do some semi-proactive management on it. It'll save you some hassles, I'm sure.
    Jacob - WebOnce Technologies - 30 Day 100% Satisfaction Guarantee - Over 5 Years Going Strong!
    Website Hosting, PHP4&5, RoR, MySQL 5.0, Reseller Hosting, Development, and Designs
    Powered By JAM - Professional Website Development - PHP, MySQL, JavaScript, AJAX - Projects Small & Large

Quote Originally Posted by WO-Jacob
    Just do us a favor and don't come back blaming LT if/when you screw things up? It takes a particular type of person to work with them in sync, so just keep that in mind. Do yourself a favor and hire an outside management company to at least secure your new server, if not do some semi-proactive management on it. It'll save you some hassles, I'm sure.
    Yeah, I get sick when I see LT posts that are all bad because they screwed something up and LT wont fix it for them.

I suggest hiring www.platinumservermanagement.com for management, they'll do all the hard work for you, for only $30.00 monthly, a great price for such a good service.

Enjoy your new dedicated server at Layered Tech.
    Recommended: Stablehost, Hivelocity, Fused

10,000 users/hour ?
    I thought that web site with such traffic require permanent monitoring and dedicated staff to manage it. In any case, it is better to use dedicated Celeron server instead of Virtual Pentium4.
    Best Regards,
    Milko
    P.S. Just started Web site design & hosting guides

Update : Mission accomplished.

New server => updated php +updated apache + updated mysql + performance benchmarks + installed accelerator + installed&configured firewall + installed&configured bruteforce protection + imported my software + imported my databases + configurated my software + changed SSH ports + performance benchmarks. Tomorrow I will transfer the DNS.

All took 2 days of 15 hours work without prior serious Linux experience

Quote Originally Posted by nbdr
    Update : Mission accomplished.

New server => updated php +updated apache + updated mysql + performance benchmarks + installed accelerator + installed&configured firewall + installed&configured bruteforce protection + imported my software + imported my databases + configurated my software + changed SSH ports + performance benchmarks. Tomorrow I will transfer the DNS.

All took 2 days of 15 hours work without prior serious Linux experience
    Ok fantastic now only 30 more things to do!!! sysctl hardening, new kernel, apache security optimization, and firewall ddos tuning to name a few. Please hire a server management company or go with a managed hosting provider, it would be in your best interests.
    Last edited by jayglate; 06-12-2006 at 06:26 PM.
    Jay

Wow. This thread is interesting to me, 'cause I'm a drupal user too and was thinking about going dedicated in order to get around some of the limitations wrt mysql and php usage.

and i was thinking about going with layered tech... but it looks like... well, maybe it's a bit more than i could do myself, 'cause i don't have linux experience either....

if i go layred tech + psm, i supposed that's an option, but then, maybe at that point, it makes sense just to go with a fully managed dedicated service from the get go... yes? [pair.com has it's lowest end fully managed dedicated system --- made of overstock, mind you, --- at $149/month)

Or is there substantial cost savings by going with someone like layered tech and then outsourcing the server management?

thanks

albert