DDos and server security

What security should a Hosting company have on their servers to prevent DDos attacks ,besides firewall protection.

There are many ways to protect yourself and your customers.
    The exact means a company is using to protect itself are a well kept secret but there are industry standards that should be followed as a basis.

My Hosting company has recently gone down with a DDOs attack, hence my server and site were down, i am woundering what questions i can ask as to what prevention and measures they are taking to prevent more down time, this is the first time in 12 years i have had this happen.

Quote Originally Posted by 360cloudnet View Post
    My Hosting company has recently gone down with a DDOs attack, hence my server and site were down, i am woundering what questions i can ask as to what prevention and measures they are taking to prevent more down time, this is the first time in 12 years i have had this happen.
    I would start by asking them what, if any, DDoS mitigation they have available. In some cases you may need to acquire 3rd party external protection depending on your provider.
    GorillaServers Inc. Powerful Bare Metal Servers
    Instant and Custom Deploy 1Gbps/10Gbps Servers in Los Angeles & Ogden Utah
    Follow us @GorillaServers | GSI on Facebook

Sounds like your host needs a better way to detect DDOS and decide to mitigate an attack or null route.

It looks like the attack saturated their peering. In some cases they can ask their peering to rate limit specifics

IE - NTP, DNS, or specific UDP amplications attacks.
    Psychz Networks - Dedicated Servers, Co-location | PhotonVPS - SSD Cloud | YardVPS - Storage VPS
    True Layer 7 DDoS Mitigation | BGP Optimized by Noction Intelligent Routing | Asia-Pacific Low Latency Routes
    Los Angeles, CA | Dallas, TX | Ashburn, VA | London, UK | Amsterdam, NL | Johannesburg, ZA

Thanks

Thanks Guys
    Regards
    Dave

What security should a Hosting company have on their servers to prevent DDos attacks ,besides firewall protection.
    The right answer would generally be one of the two:

1) Nothing -- null route IPs that receive a ddos, tell the offending customer to seek out a ddos specializing host if they receive multiple attacks

2) Everything -- be a ddos mitigating host who specializes in hosting customers who receive large attacks. Be prepared to have everything thrown at you and respond accordingly.

There's not a lot of middle ground in most cases. DDoS protection is expensive, and most customers don't need it. Customers don't pay for things that are expensive that they don't need. The few customers who need ddos protection, generally need a lot of protection. It's not that often that you can get by with providing "basic" protection and leave it at that. If you protect someone who gets attacked, soon they will get bigger attacks that you cannot easily protect against.

So in my opinion, either you need the best ddos protected network possible, or you need nothing at all. Most customers need nothing in the way of ddos protection, and because it is very expensive and difficult to provide, that's what most hosts will have -- not much beyond the ability to null route the target of the attack.
    IOFLOOD.com -- We Love Servers
    Phoenix, AZ Dedicated Servers in under an hour
    ★ Ryzen 9: 7950x3D ★ Dual E5-2680v4 Xeon ★
    Contact Us: sales@ioflood.com

Thanks

Thanks,
    I appreciate the time you took to answer my post
    Regards
    Dave

Does your DC/Provider have hardware DDoS protection? Seems very much a must nowadays as normal firewall rules (SYN_FLOOD) will not help against large attacks.

Depends if it was something your system administrator could handle (not saturating your server uplink) or if it was something bigger then your network uplink.

On the first situation just hire proper server administrators and have them filter the attacks.
    On the second situation you need your servers administrators to coordinate the efforts with the datacenter.
    Often a few specific ACL helps a lot with volumetric attacks

Admin response

Hi Guys,
    There is a detailed report coming out from the Host, to address all issues, and what measures are and have been taken,
    Thanks for all the info, this helps me understand this area of hosting.
    Regards
    Dave

DDoS happens. Usually, it affects a limited amount of clients, however there are cases where it can affect everyone. Sadly, it is really easy for near-anyone to DDoS these days. And I'm not talking a few Mbps, we're talking tens of Gbps, enough to take out small setups.

If your provider advertises DDoS protection, it's not acceptable (in my opinion) for a client to be affected by another's attacks. If they do not advertise DDoS protection, they should still auto-null route any IPs receiving lots of bandwidth, to the point that it will have any adverse affects on their networks.

Another thing to be weary of is people that setup 40 servers with 1 Gbps on a rack with 1 or 2 x 1 Gbps uplinks. It's really not acceptable, but a lot of people do it. That means that even a small attack can affect the entire rack, hell, it doesn't even need to be an attack! Just a few clients actually using their bandwidth!
    SiFuQi.net - Affordable Dedicated Servers in Los Angeles, California
    24x7 Support • Enterprise Grade Hardware • Automated OS Reinstalls
    Check out our reseller program, with a unique two-tiered discount.