Hybrid View

wander Guest
    I am the admin for a outdoors club and am looking for something like mailman / phplist / others?
    Plus be able to send 1000 messages (as fast as possible / not 300 per hour) about 10 times per week to it's entire membership.
    Any pointers on who would do this would be great!
    located in Vancouver, BC Canada.

Well the best and cheapest way would be using PHP.
    You could use 20 - 30 GMail or any SMTP provider.
    Each GMail account has a limit of 500/day

Then php can do the trick. It can use SMTP and send as many emails you would like!
    Webuzo - Multi user control panel supporting Apache, NGinx, MySQL, MariaDB, Percona, LiteSpeed, Varnish, WordPress, etc.
    Virtualizor - VPS Control Panel supporting OpenVZ, Xen, KVM and has 200+ OS Templates
    Softaculous - Auto Installer with 400+ scripts for Webuzo, cPanel, DirectAdmin, InterWorx, Plesk, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by alons View Post
    Well the best and cheapest way would be using PHP.
    You could use 20 - 30 GMail or any SMTP provider.
    Each GMail account has a limit of 500/day

Then php can do the trick. It can use SMTP and send as many emails you would like!
    Good advice. PHP is always a friendly choice with a very simple mail() function. A simple loop sending one email at a time would do the job, or you could try to emulate some "multithreading" sending a few overlapping emails to cut down on the delivery time if speed is absolutely a priority.

I recommend using the free dadamail mailing list software. It's very good, easy to install and configure, and most importantly... works well and is reliable.

You can also specify the send rate you want... 1000/hour should be no trouble.

We are eNom PLATINUM PLUS resellers!
    Sign up today for an eNom.com reseller account with lowest possible pricing.
    * We provide support and service to over 4275 happy eNom domain name and SSL certificate resellers!

Quote Originally Posted by mrzippy View Post
    I recommend using the free dadamail mailing list software. It's very good, easy to install and configure, and most importantly... works well and is reliable.

You can also specify the send rate you want... 1000/hour should be no trouble.

Very interesting, i hope i dont start seeing those nigerian spam's again lol. Those were getting wild at a time saying you won the nigerian lotto etc..

Or just use Mailman, a proper list manager with proper bounce handling. 1000 names is not a problem for mailman at all. Best if you have a decent mail server backing it up.

Do you need Canadian hosting for this? The choices are somewhat limited in Vancouver itself but there are some, and there are many more in Toronto and Montreal. If location of the service provider isn't an issue then choice really won't be a problem at all.
    “Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under
    considerable economic stress at this period in history.”

there are several services that can help you with that or you could write your own script in php

<snipped>
    Last edited by ldcdc; 06-06-2009 at 04:08 AM. Reason: manual sig

I've used a few, currently use phplist, and it can deliver 1000 quite quickly.
    Well within an hour...and that's on a slow machine.

You don't want it to go toooo fast, most admins even throttle this down, if you happen to have a lot of target addresses at one domain (yahoo, etc), you will actually end up delaying delivery even longer because they will deffer your connections if you hit their limit vs time (which is quite easy to do).

School of though is, if you can hit send, and it even takes a few hours, you get your mail delivered, great. At 10 a week, that's a max of 2 per working day, as long as you get everything there by the next mailing, you are good to go. Actually, the slower you can stand for them to be delivered, the higher the delivery rate is, especially with large lists. 1000 is considered small.
    This is the best signature in the world....Tribute!
    (It is not the best signature in the world, no. This is just a tribute)