hosting my site

I want to create my own website and host it myself, I know that I need a server and software for this, but I don't Know what server and software to get ,and what other Equipment I need.

Can somebody help me?
    Thanks

http://www.dslwebserver.com is a good place to start.
    If you have to operate your company behind the scenes or under a fake name, maybe it's time to leave the industry and start something fresh.

Are you wanting to actually have a server in house?

Are you looking to "re-sell" hosting as well?

If you get a bit more specific there is plenty of help to be had here at WHT!

Good luck.

If you want to host it yourself, I'd suggest getting a high speed line straight into your home, a decent spec machine running the software you want (linux / apache - windows / iis) and then if you're just hosting your own site run some command prompts to configure your box.

Are you sure you want to host it yourself though? It'd be a lot easier and cheaper (electricity, connection, security, technical support, etc) to just host the one website with a good hosting provider.

I want to have a server in my house and host other websites

Having your server in-house really is not a good idea if your going to be serious about making/hosting clients websites.

You would be better off getting an account w/ a good company and basically "resell" hosting to your clients, under your reseller account. This is not only going to be less expensive for you, but the quality of hosting service you'll provide your clients will be much improved.

Just my $.02

You never have a second chance to make a GREAT first impression!

Won't it be cheaper to just get a colocation? Much more stable too. I don't you can have all those FM 200, UPS, Diesel generator backup in your room.

boonchuan,

Nothing is impossible
    Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Actually, yes if you absolutely DO want your own server...get one from a good company (find one on here on WHT) and colocate it w/ them at their data center.

What software do I need to buy with the server because I Know there a window server 2003 but When I looked there are diffence Kinds with low price and very high price can somebody help me which one to buy

Interesting subject. A few years ago my web hosting company started out of the house. Of course it has grown and now we have it in a colo. Basically if at home you need to pay for a business connection, where dsl or cable or whatever. You need business because all ports are open for business, but it costs more. It costed us 100 bucks a month with a 1 year contract for cable.

Then you will need a server that can handle it. With linux system it can range from 500 to 1000 bucks for an ok system to host some sites. Then you will need some type of ups. Never trust residential electric setup. UPS can cost 50-100 bucks for the decent ones.

You need proper cooling as well. Get ready for higher electric bill with A/C alone. You need a backup machine, even if it is for backup purposes. Perhaps just a lower end system with a bunch of big hdds. Or perhaps if not that big, backup files with a RW cdrom.

I recommend a hardware firewall ontop of a software firewall, but optional. Physical security wise I turned a closet into a "rack" per say. Got vents in there, put some outlets, got some fans and stuck the servers in there. Worked out pretty well, kept out people and kept pretty cool with the vents and fan.

Silly

Get the 2003 Web Edition version. It is cheap. There is plenty of other software you will need to buy as well though. (Email, stats, control panel). You would be much better off to get a reseller account in a data center.

Cardell, will you be using Cold Fusion, ASP, and/or a MS SQL Database?

I be using ASP, and MS SQL Database

Okay, well yes you need a windows server for sure.

As far as the version, well certainly Windows 2000 or Windows 2003 Standard Edition.

If you decide to co-locate a server, then whomever you choose to go through will be able to help you with these suggestions/needs.

You could go for a dedicated windows solution from providors such as
    www.layeredtech.com
    www.ev1servers.net
    www.theplanet.com

or just get a virtual account with a hosting company. I would presume that they arent looking to start a webhosting business, or atleast I hope not.....

Cardwell,

Can I ask you a question?

Do you currently have a hosting account, or have you in the past?

That will really help us help you.

Re: hosting my site

Originally posted by cardwell
    I want to host my own site but I don't know What software to buy, I am looking for a window server but there are diffence one out there, what verson shoud I get.

Thanks
    i think he means hes starting out with his own website
    a more detailed explanation would be helpful

I have not had a hosting account in the past, I want to run my website myself but when I look at window servers software there are diffence one, i'm trying to find which one is the best to have.

I suggest you pick a random windows hosting provider from the Shared and Reseller Hosting Offers forum and sign up for their base account. Except for anything you know you need(like SQL, if you truely need it), don't worry about the other features except make sure your getting at least a 1GB traffic and 100MB drive space.

Get a site up and running, figure out if this is really what you want to do. Find out what control panel your host is using. Read up on it. Come back to the Shared offers forum and look for a host that's offering a different control panel, and look at their demo.

Learn what it actually takes to set up a site, code the backends, touch your database, etc.

Read at least 100 threads(each would be good) on windows, iis, and asp.

After that, you should be able to ask specific questions and know what kind of information to provide us in your original questions to help us direct you toward the information you are after.
    I am now Tobarja.

Originally posted by slade
    I suggest you pick a random windows hosting provider
    I would NOT suggest picking "a random windows hosting provider!" I don't know how he could even post that, that would be such a stupid thing to do. Don't pick a random one, but do research and find which is best for you and your needs.
    Daily Updated Web Hosting News Blog
    Including an RSS feed that you can syndicate!
    Daily Updated Web Hosting News Blog
    Unlimited vs. Unmetered bandwidth

Originally posted by cardwell
    I have not had a hosting account in the past, I want to run my website myself but when I look at window servers software there are diffence one, i'm trying to find which one is the best to have for a E-commerce business.

- Windows Server for Small Business 2003 5 Client
    - Windows Server Standard 2003 5 Client
    - Windows Server Enterprise 2003 25 Client
    - Windows Small Business Server Standard 2003 CD/DVD 5 Client
    - Windows Small Business Server Premium 2003 CD/DVD 5 Client

Thanks
    If you want to run a serious e-commerce site, you might want to consider skipping Winblows and using a reliable operating system. Just a suggestion.