Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by doofoo View Post
    Need to look into that one.. Would be a nice upgrade.
    I contacted swiftway for cogent pricing. I can't share the prices under NDA but I can say that it's worth contacting them if you're considering a cogent line.

Quote Originally Posted by QuickWeb-Roel View Post
    I was told of Cogent's Sept promo of GigE commit on 10GigE port for under $1,000 and available worldwide, so maybe good time to sign-up
    Confirmed.
    Fast Serv Networks, LLC | AS29889 | DDOS Protected | Managed Cloud, Streaming, Dedicated Servers, Colo by-the-U
    Since 2003 - Ashburn VA + San Diego CA Datacenters

Quote Originally Posted by funkywizard View Post
    I contacted swiftway for cogent pricing. I can't share the prices under NDA but I can say that it's worth contacting them if you're considering a cogent line.
    yeah though they charge considerable setup fee (which is fine) but if you can get directly from cogent at same price then you might be better off.
    QuickWeb™ -We Host Servers Like a Boss!
    New Zealand - USA - UK - Germany Virtual Servers
    Worldwide hosting provider with proven 24x7 and 25-Minute Support!
    www.quickweb.co.nz

yeah though they charge considerable setup fee (which is fine) but if you can get directly from cogent at same price then you might be better off.
    If you've ever had to deal with a Cogent sales rep, I think you'd rather deal with a reseller even if it was the same price. Just try asking them for a quote and you'll quickly find out what I mean.
    IOFLOOD.com -- We Love Servers
    Phoenix, AZ Dedicated Servers in under an hour
    ★ Ryzen 9: 7950x3D ★ Dual E5-2680v4 Xeon ★
    Contact Us: sales@ioflood.com

If you've ever had to deal with a Cogent sales rep, I think you'd rather deal with a reseller even if it was the same price. Just try asking them for a quote and you'll quickly find out what I mean.
    yeah i know what you mean, some sales rep sucks however there are descent ones who know what they sell. I got some bandwidth from swiftway too and they are decent, the only thing with cogent you cannot contact them directly so you need swiftway to open ticket for you which sucks a bit
    www.quickweb.co.nz

You aren't dealing with the right people then

Cogent is notorious for turning over their front line sales staff in a rather cyclical pattern, get a contact higher up the chain and you'll find a totally different experience.

My post history will show I'm not a Cogent fanboy by any means but their network has improved and we gave it a trial run in one site. It worked out well and we and have since been bringing them into the mix in all our locations.

the only thing with cogent you cannot contact them directly so you need Swiftway to open ticket for you which sucks a bit
    On the other side, i can assure you that we will get things done much faster with Cogent then the average Cogent client will do by going directly.

You will not get better prices by going to Cogent directly, a reseller will always be cheaper to deal with. Besides, resellers can give you consistent low pricing while carrier reps have to rely on end of quarter specials, that often are valid only for new customers.

I contacted Swiftway for cogent pricing. I can't share the prices under NDA but I can say that it's worth contacting them if you're considering a cogent line.
    Thank you for the recommendation.
    Last edited by swiftnoc; 09-12-2012 at 04:18 AM.
    Swiftway.net Your Business deserves our Quality - Experts on Hand since 2005. Europe & US locations, we operate our own network AS35017 Support response time <15 minutes 24/7
    Introducing our new Entry level server line ! Support response time <15 minutes 24/7. Technology Fast 50 & Fast 500 award winning for multiple years, Your Business deserves Swiftway Quality.

1. Not sure why we are worried about NDAs, when Cogent is calling and trying to take get us to drop our reseller (by name) and buy direct from them. Isnt Cogent breaking the NDA by cherry picking the resellers customers?

2. Did anyone notice the links under this topic? Amazing Level(3) Pricing! $32/mbps on Full FastE! From 2004.
    Too funny!!
    BTW, in 1999 we were selling bandwidth on a 10 mbps port for $3,000 / mbps.

3. A 10 gig port with a 1 gig commit for $1k per month ANYWHERE? I will take one in Dubai please

Quote Originally Posted by Techee View Post
    1. Not sure why we are worried about NDAs, when Cogent is calling and trying to take get us to drop our reseller (by name) and buy direct from them. Isnt Cogent breaking the NDA by cherry picking the resellers customers?

2. Did anyone notice the links under this topic? Amazing Level(3) Pricing! $32/mbps on Full FastE! From 2004.
    Too funny!!
    BTW, in 1999 we were selling bandwidth on a 10 mbps port for $3,000 / mbps.

3. A 10 gig port with a 1 gig commit for $1k per month ANYWHERE? I will take one in Dubai please
    NDA's are more/less about pricing/information not going after customers. NDA's just mean they wont disclose information to third parties.. nothing to protect against going after their business. .. Thats a totally different agreement..
    Yellow Fiber Networks
    http://www.yellowfiber.net : Managed Solutions - Colocation - Network Services IPv4/IPv6
    Ashburn/Denver/NYC/Dallas/Chicago Markets Served zak@yellowfiber.net

Not going after your customer's business is a matter of ethics really than anything else

Quote Originally Posted by swiftnoc View Post
    You will not get better prices by going to Cogent directly, a reseller will always be cheaper to deal with. Besides, resellers can give you consistent low pricing while carrier reps have to rely on end of quarter specials, that often are valid only for new customers.
    Ding ding ding. I'm really sick of cogent quoting me a great price when I don't need bandwidth, and then quoting a price 10x higher when I'm actually ready to buy (calling me on the phone every few days in between). It makes it impossible to include Cogent in my business strategy planning. We're using providers right now that are significantly more expensive simply because when it's time to buy the price is still what I was told it would be. The fact this thread even exists is proof of that. You don't see a "what's the real price of he.net" thread pop up every month or two.

For business planning reasons alone I'm far more comfortable with a reseller like swiftway. And the price is right too.

Ding ding ding. I'm really sick of cogent quoting me a great price when I don't need bandwidth, and then quoting a price 10x higher when I'm actually ready to buy (calling me on the phone every few days in between). It makes it impossible to include Cogent in my business strategy planning. We're using providers right now that are significantly more expensive simply because when it's time to buy the price is still what I was told it would be. The fact this thread even exists is proof of that. You don't see a "what's the real price of he.net" thread pop up every month or two.

For business planning reasons alone I'm far more comfortable with a reseller like swiftway. And the price is right too.
    ++ To this.
    Getting Cloudy in the US, Europe, & South Asia.

Have any existing Cogent customers been able to take advantage of this deal?
    Matthew Russell | Namecheap
    Twitter: @mattdrussell

www.easywp.com - True Managed WordPress, made easy

This is fine until the reseller goes out of business or has a dispute with the ISP. I would feel much more comfortable being under direct contract with the ISP.

Quote Originally Posted by DPG View Post
    This is fine until the reseller goes out of business or has a dispute with the ISP. I would feel much more comfortable being under direct contract with the ISP.
    GigLinx, Splice, Swiftway.. have all been around for many years. Resellers at scale aren't fly by night operations.

That said, as with anything there are pros and cons both in going direct or through a reseller. A mixed approach may be practical. And pay attention to your MSA.
    Getting Cloudy in the US, Europe, & South Asia.

On the other side, i can assure you that we will get things done much faster with Cogent then the average Cogent client will do by going directly.
    Yes might be true with cogent, however others like nLayer and HE would rather have direct contact as these carriers always responds fast and whoever picks the ticket can perform the task without mucking around.
    www.quickweb.co.nz

Yes might be true with cogent, however others like nLayer and HE would rather have direct contact as these carriers always responds fast and whoever picks the ticket can perform the task without mucking around.
    I always have to remind the HE.net technicians that I'm on the authorized list for my port. Seems they can't get their documentation straight. This is through a reseller, but I'm allowed to request various things myself.

others like nLayer and HE would rather have direct contact as these carriers always responds fast
    Are you sure about this statement? did you work with these carriers? what is the average response time you got when you mailed them? (not counting the auto responder). Did you have to escalate tickets by phone to grab attention?
    Swiftway.net Your Business deserves our Quality - Experts on Hand since 2005. Europe & US locations, we operate our own network AS35017 Support response time <15 minutes 24/7
    Introducing our new Entry level server line ! Support response time <15 minutes 24/7. Technology Fast 50 & Fast 500 award winning for multiple years, Your Business deserves Swiftway Quality.

Cogent has a September promo, $950 for 1G on a 10G burstable..
    And .50 for 8G+ on a 10G. Both 1yr terms
    Wait a couple more week and it'll be lower for end of quarter

Quote Originally Posted by AvanteHosting View Post
    Cogent has a September promo
    Ask them what will happen after 12 months , it will also not get better then this, promo's as set way in advance before end of a quarter.

Ask them what will happen after 12 months , it will also not get better then this, promo's as set way in advance before end of a quarter.
    the price would go up after 12 months, that's a given..
    Pretty sure the price will go down even further if you buy at end of q3, they have these monthly promo's and on top of that end of quarter promo's.. Get in a touch with a rep on the 24th.

the price would go up after 12 months, that's a given..
    Pretty sure the price will go down even further if you buy at end of q3
    It will still not beat the deal and value, then a large reseller can give to you.

It will still not beat the deal and value, then a large reseller can give to you.
    For Cogent, yes that's the case.
    With nLayer/Tinet/Level 3 I'd have to disagree

Level3 and GBLX - well i am sure a good reseller can give you
    A. Much better price
    B. Much faster service
    C. Stricter enforcement of their SLA policies due to leverage
    Level3 is not very fond of small customers (just my observation and experience working with 100+ networks we manage and 500+ networks we sell BW to) and will not admit to their screw ups or honor their SLA policies if such a party files the evidence and asks for a review or escalation.

Tinet - A good reseller can give you a better price. For the rest, no comments as all looks well.

Nlayer - See Level3 comments with removal of Point C.
    Nlayer really is not fast if you do not escalate a ticket - 6 to 12 hours NOC response time for endusers is not an exception.
    We (and our customers) really love their network communities and how much you can fine-tune outgoing traffic going through their network.

Our experience:
    Networks where resellers make relatively low impact (pricing only): PCCW, TINET (now called Intelliquent)
    Networks where resellers make very significant impact on service levels, price, performance, service (etc) Telia, Telefonica, Cogent, Nlayer (now GTT) , Level3, TPSA, DTAG, Opentransit, HE.net, KPN and BT
    Last edited by swiftnoc; 09-12-2012 at 06:04 PM.

For Cogent, yes that's the case.
    Very unlikely Level 3 unless you have other significant contracts with them. The "little guy" is very, very low on the totem pole there.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast