* First time buying

I've been renting low-end dedicated servers for about a year now, and I'm ready to purchase a server and look into colo.

This may sound like a silly question, but it's an honest one as I've never even looked into purchasing one. The first thing that caught my eye was this: http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/Cis...n/2561320.aspx

My question is, how can this be so cheap? I've seen similar E5 series rent for up to $399 a month, when I could just purchase this for six and pay a colo fee. I'm most likely overlooking something huge, but that's what I need you guys to answer.

My second question is, where is the best place to purchase used or new rack servers?

Third and final question is, can you point me in the direction of some colo providers that offer IPSWIP/RWHOIS?

Regards,

Hi,

The CPU is an older Xeon (E5000 series, not E5 sandybridge).
    and the server doesn't include HDD's
    | Galaxy Web Solutions Ltd
    | cPanel, cPanel Reseller, Master Reseller, Shoutcast/Icecast + Shoutcast/Icecast Reseller Solutions
    | Cheltenham based servers housed in our own private rackspace. Server Colocation & VPS also available!
    | GalaxyWebSolutions.com | 0800 520 0107 | 01454 620 217

A good 1U E5 system is $3000+ sure you can save if you purchase the system and get a cheap colo plan.
    Respectfully,
    Mr. Terrence

If you do end up buying a server avoid brands like Dell or HP which cost more SuperMicro would do just well at a lower price.
    Kushal || Host4Geeks || Operating Fully Owned Infrastructure out of 4 Global Datacenters US / UK / India
    Reseller Hosting - Pure SSD | Nginx + LSAPI | Let's Encrypt | WHMCS or Blesta | DDoS Protection| 24x7 Support
    Fully Managed SSD VPS - cPanel /WHM | Softaculous | Let's Encrypt | DDoS Protection | Proactive Monitoring | Server Hardening
    Datacenters - Los Angeles, CA | Lenoir, NC | London, UK |Pune, India

Quote Originally Posted by PromptSpace-Kushal View Post
    If you do end up buying a server avoid brands like Dell or HP which cost more SuperMicro would do just well at a lower price.
    Then again, price is not the only consideration for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by [CTI] Todd View Post
    Then again, price is not the only consideration for everyone.
    Exactly. With a dedicated server host, you gain hardware replacement at no cost (generally quicker as well!) and the ability to scale as your needs grow.
    Jason Canady • Unlimited Net, LLC
    812.669.0551 • sales [at] unlimitednet.us
    Midwest Hosting Solutions • AS11990
    Dedicated Server Hosting

For starters definitely try getting in touch with rackmountsetc.com as they know the business and industry well and can walk you through your options. The more you invest upfront, the more you'll get out of the colo server in the long run but remember by colocating you will be responsible for replacing hardware and parts yourself or will have to pay the Datacenter to do so, and that will cost extra along with the hardware parts itself.
    █• Taskade - To-Do List & Tasks All-in-One To-Do List & Mind Map App for Remote Teams
    █• Simple and shareable to-do lists for web, mobile, and desktop
    █• To-Do List Templates 300+ shareable templates and productivity workflows
    █• Get things done, faster and smarter! I eat penguins for breakfast ...

do you need management>? if not 1and1.com is very cheap for Linux or windows

Quote Originally Posted by financialdomains View Post
    do you need management>? if not 1and1.com is very cheap for Linux or windows
    Are you out of your mind?? 1and1 would be the last place I would recommend. They have almost no support policy, you either call them and talk to unhelpful tech staffs or email them and get a reply after 36 hours. They do not have any ticketing system at all (atleast didnt have it when I was with them)
    Kushal || Host4Geeks || Operating Fully Owned Infrastructure out of 4 Global Datacenters US / UK / India
    Reseller Hosting - Pure SSD | Nginx + LSAPI | Let's Encrypt | WHMCS or Blesta | DDoS Protection| 24x7 Support
    Fully Managed SSD VPS - cPanel /WHM | Softaculous | Let's Encrypt | DDoS Protection | Proactive Monitoring | Server Hardening
    Datacenters - Los Angeles, CA | Lenoir, NC | London, UK |Pune, India