Exclamation Some questions...many clients connect to one server and do virtual PC, seperate VPC..

Hello, I have a setup at the institute at where I teach where there are some old PC's (old 98's) and small systems (looks like media center extenders) that connect to one main server and have XP running in a Remote Desktop window. I cant seem to find the server software to run on the server end to let PC's in my network be able to do this (I have around 4 PC's that are a few years old). I want these systems to connect to the server at boot/during logon, and each have a seperate desktop (or VPC) that loads for each system.

Any help would be appreciated and Ill PayPal a few bucks for someone (if asked) who hits the bullseye at what Im looking for.

You can check out Citrix, as its somewhat expensive for that small of a project, its worth at least checking out.

Citrix seems to be just remote desktop, I want to be able to connect several PC's to one system, and have a virtual/real? enviroment for each PC. Meaning I can be watching a movie on one enviroment, while writing up something in another, while using the server PC as well (yes, I can be at three palces at once ).

Also, I really dont have a price limit (well $1000) as I plan on expanding it to around 100 PC's over time.

Anyone know of anything? Its used almost in every school in my district and I have seen it in the surrounding districts, someone has to know what its called...

The answer you are looking for is Terminal Services. By default, Windows 2003 allows 2 RDP connections; Terminal Services will allow as many as you can afford, depending on how many Terminal Services Client Licenses you require. You need to install it via add/remove. You also need to enable Remote Desktop on the server.

Your data center may offer client licensing to lease the licenses, otherwise you'll have to get them through Microsoft.

Helpful urls:
    For Windows 2000:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000...cing/tsfaq.asp
    Couldn't find the one for Win2k3.
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro...f9688933b.mspx

Read through that, especially the CAL license per device or per user, I'm not sure which you'd need. I *think* you'd want maybe X# of licenses per user, (so say joe,bob,mary,john,tom could be logged in at once).

Microsoft has the worst search features, but search for Terminal services Licensing.
    You should really talk to a Microsoft sales rep about it.

Here is a snippet from that FAQ:

Using Terminal Services Configuration
    To verify that the Terminal Server Licensing mode on the terminal server matches the type of CALs on the license server using Terminal Services Configuration

On the terminal server, open Terminal Services Configuration. To open Terminal Services Configuration, click Start, point to Control Panel, Administrative Tools, and then click Terminal Services Configuration.

In the console tree, click Server Settings.

In the details pane, right-click Licensing Mode, and then click Properties. Note the licensing mode (Per User or Per Device), and then click OK.
    Note

A Per Device CAL gives each client computer or device the right to access a terminal server that is running Windows Server 2003. A Per User CAL gives one user the right to access a terminal server from an unlimited number of devices.

On the license server, open Terminal Server Licensing.

In the details pane, verify that the type of CALs installed on the license server match the Terminal Server Licensing mode that is configured on the terminal server.
    Using Group Policy
    To verify that the Terminal Server Licensing mode on the terminal server matches the type of CALs on the license server using Group Policy

On the terminal server, open Group Policy.

In Computer Configuration, Administrative Templates, Windows Components, Terminal Services, double-click Set the Terminal Server licensing mode.

If the setting is enabled, note the licensing mode (Per Device or Per User) that is selected in Specify the licensing mode for the terminal server.

If the setting is disabled or not configured, the licensing mode that is specified during Setup or in Terminal Services Configuration is used.
    Note

A Per Device CAL gives each client computer or device the right to access a terminal server that is running Windows Server 2003. A Per User CAL gives one user the right to access a terminal server from an unlimited number of devices.

Click OK.

On the license server, open Terminal Server Licensing.

In the details pane, verify that the type of CALs installed on the license server match the Terminal Server Licensing mode that is configured on the terminal serv
    "It's hard to dance if you just lost your wallet. Whoa! Where's my wallet? But, hey this song is funky." - Mitch Hedberg

WOW! This is exactly what I have been looking for! Thank you very much for the information!

As for a datacenter, this is actually at my home residence for the time being, but will be at a few institutes in the coming months.