Domain Transfer Confusion

I have a small site currently hosted with Ipower for which the domain name is currently registered by Ipower through Tucows/OpenSRS.

I wish to soon cancel my Ipower hosting and transfer my website to my Linode VPS and my domain registration to some other domain provider perhaps such as Godaddy.

Currently I am able to directly access my OpenSRS/Tucows domain management control panel, my domain is unlocked and ready to be transferred, I also have the Authorization code and my email address is listed as the Admin contact.

My question: What I am somewhat confused about is the role of Tucows/Opensrs. If once I transfer my domain to Godaddy then what need will I ultimately still have for any relationship with the service they provide?

As I understand it Tucows/OpenSRS originally sold the domain to me the registrant, however through Ipower. As apparently they do not in fact sell domains directly to individuals such as myself.

Therefore once I transfer my domain to godaddy, wouldnt I only then need to change the DNS settings via the Godaddy DNS manager to reflect my Linode VPS NS servers as well as then finally set up DNS in my Linode DNS managment interface. Once this done I would then cancel my Ipower.

Therefore I would not need Tucows/OpenSRS anymore?
    Because my domain has been transferred to godaddy.

If someone can offer a general outline of 1,2,3 correct steps I need to take to make my break from Ipower with my domain transferred and my DNS set to my VPS I would sincerely appreciate it.

If you transfer it to another registrar, then yes you would only use their services and changing the IP should do the trick.

I would strongly advise not to choose godaddy however.

Quote Originally Posted by zoid View Post
    If you transfer it to another registrar, then yes you would only use their services and changing the IP should do the trick.

I would strongly advise not to choose godaddy however.

So basically then I am correct to understand that although Tucows/OpenSRS is in fact a registrar. They do not allow individuals registrants to use their service? Therefore this is why I would need another registrar which does allow this such as Goddaddy. Then once my domain is transferred the other registrar I would have no more further association with Tucows/OpenSRS.

You mentioned against using Godaddy. Are there perhaps any impartial review type sites or a list of registrars from which I could make my choice from?

Thank you.

we use namecheap ... very easy to transfer domains with the info you already have.

unfortunately you just missed their new years promo ... transfers were $8.97 with free whois protection.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph43 View Post
    If someone can offer a general outline of 1,2,3 correct steps I need to take to make my break from Ipower with my domain transferred and my DNS set to my VPS I would sincerely appreciate it.
    Is your VPS already setup to serev DNS zones with something like BIND ? If so get the zone active/ready/configured with the entries you want.

The general process for transferring a domain is ...

1. remove privacy protection and check the contacts on the domain are correct (if needing changes, do the update, then wait 60 days before starting the process again)

2. if updated at #1 wait 60 days for the mandatory lock following updates to release

3. unlock the domain at the current registrar

4. request an EPP transfer code from the current registrar

5. supply the code to the new registrar and follow their instructions

6. acknowledge the automated release process emails
    which you get *after* the gaining registrar approval process starts

7. wait upto 5 days following approval for the registry to move the domain
    Rob Golding Astutium Ltd - UK based ICANN Accredited Domain Registrar - proud to accept BitCoins
    Buying Web Hosts and Domain Registrars Today @ hostacquisitions.co.uk
    UK Web Hosting | UK VPS | UK Dedicated Servers | ADSL/FTTC | Backup/DR | Cloud
    UK Colocation | Reseller Accounts | IPv6 Transit | Secondary MX | DNS | WHMCS Modules

Quote Originally Posted by astutiumRob View Post
    Is your VPS already setup to serev DNS zones with something like BIND ? If so get the zone active/ready/configured with the entries you want.

The general process for transferring a domain is ...

1. remove privacy protection and check the contacts on the domain are correct (if needing changes, do the update, then wait 60 days before starting the process again)

2. if updated at #1 wait 60 days for the mandatory lock following updates to release

3. unlock the domain at the current registrar

4. request an EPP transfer code from the current registrar

5. supply the code to the new registrar and follow their instructions

6. acknowledge the automated release process emails
    which you get *after* the gaining registrar approval process starts

7. wait upto 5 days following approval for the registry to move the domain

Ok thank you then. I think I understand the basic process. As I mentioned in logging into my Tucows/OpenSRS domain manger I can see that the domain is unlocked and domain privacy is turned off. My email is correctly listed as the contact and I also have the authorization code currently listed in the Tucows/OpenSRS domain management interface. So overall I think I am good to go.

Once I initiate transfer to a new registrar and provide the Auth code I will setup the DNS on my both my VPS and with my new registrar to resolve to my Linode VPS NS servers. Then once everything hopefully is setup, finally I will only contact Ipower to cancel my hosting.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph43 View Post
    You mentioned against using Godaddy. Are there perhaps any impartial review type sites or a list of registrars from which I could make my choice from?

Thank you.
    Use the search here to find reviews about registrars. I use name silo and can highly recommend them.

Quote Originally Posted by astutiumRob View Post

This is a great summary.

Just a small note - the 60 lock after contact changes is mostly done by Go Daddy and is not necessarily something other registrars do as well. The only lock for transfers that is mandatory by the registry is a 60 day lock after registration.
    DomainCocoon provides technical, development & ICANN accreditation consulting to domain portfolio managers, hosting companies, registrars and resellers.

Nice information here ,thanks for it.

Quote Originally Posted by ImFM View Post
    Just a small note - the 60 lock after contact changes is mostly done by Go Daddy and is not necessarily something other registrars do as well
    It became policy sometime ago through the ICANN IRTP (B & C) processes - so _ALL_ accredited registrars shoudl have or be in the process of implementing it.
    Rob Golding Astutium Ltd - UK based ICANN Accredited Domain Registrar - proud to accept BitCoins
    Buying Web Hosts and Domain Registrars Today @ hostacquisitions.co.uk
    UK Web Hosting | UK VPS | UK Dedicated Servers | ADSL/FTTC | Backup/DR | Cloud
    UK Colocation | Reseller Accounts | IPv6 Transit | Secondary MX | DNS | WHMCS Modules

Quote Originally Posted by ImFM View Post
    The only lock for transfers that is mandatory by the registry is a 60 day lock after registration.
    It also applied when a domain is transferred from one registrar to other registrar then lock period would be the same and it would be from the date of transfer.

The 60 day lock is not just a Godaddy thing - more or less this is the case with all registrars now.
    █ CanSpace Solutions - www.canspace.ca - Canada's leading domain registrar and web hosting provider
    Premium Canadian Web Hosting and .ca domains. Trusted by Canada's largest corporations
    Affordable Web Hosting | 24/7 Support | CIRA CERTIFIED | Proudly Canadian