Hybrid View

For testing purposes: Xen or OpenVZ?

I'm trying to learn the basics of server management and to tweak test servers, is OpenVZ enough? I'm thinking of getting a Xen server because you can modify the kernel. What can you guys say about it?
    Last edited by Wes0805; 12-27-2010 at 07:49 AM.

If you need to modify the kernel then you need a Xen VPS full stop.

I'd recommend Xen.
    1Ago - Webhosting, Virtual Private Servers (VPS) & Dedicated Servers.
    Belgian company with servers located in The Netherlands!
    Managed services as an option.

I would say use both, probably start with Xen and when your comfortable move over to OpenVZ - you can never get too much experience.
    BotWars.io - Code the AI of your Battle Bot!

It really depends on what your end goal is. OpenVZ has shared swap and pretty much is a shared VPS setup whereas Xen has much better dedicated resources and swap. If it is just a bunch of sites you want to put together that don't need dedicated resources then OpenVZ is the way to go, if you are selling to customers and guaranteeing resources then you need Xen.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    UrNode - Virtual Solutions
    http://www.UrNode.com

If you want a feel of close to "real" dedicated server, I'd recommend you go with Xen VPS.
    As mentioned by others, very much depends on what you're trying to learn and test.
    ControlVM.com :: Elastic Cloud Hosting Alternatives to VPS Reliable Cloud Server
    Enterprise Hosting @
    Malaysia ● Germany ● USA ● Singapore
    We Accept: Paypal
    Alipay GrabPay Credit/Debit Card FPX Bank Transfer Bank TT

^
    Just like what CHHosting said, I want to feel I'm working with a dedicated server as much as possible. I'm looking into doing everything from scratch, OS, optimization, security and all sorts of configurations needed. Just for me to get a few knowledge and experience on server management. I don't mind the space and bandwidth as long as there's enough CPU core and RAM provided. Unmanaged is good also

I see it's XEN then?

What if I install a virtual machine on my PC with CentOS, will that do any good?

Quote Originally Posted by woojin0391 View Post
    What if I install a virtual machine on my PC with CentOS, will that do any good?
    It's definitely worthwhile. However, don't expect the performance to be outstanding. Virtual machines don't usually like to be run on desktop hardware. Not only that, but to run Linux ontop of Windows in most modern hypervisors, you need a modern processor with hardware virtualization enabled.

A Cheap $5 VPS somewhere is definitely a good start. I would start with OpenVZ as it's more of a challenge to secure, but that's just me. I like a good challenge
    Matthew Rosenblatt, and I do lots of things.
    Used to be a full time server administrator, now I help build cruise ships and inspect homes.
    My company, Ferrell Solutions, specializes in home inspections and property management.
    RecallScan is a service for monitoring appliances and vehicles in your home for recalls.

It all really depends on what your testing. If your looking to mess around with the kernel then go with Xen.

Xen is better.

why not have a xen vps and then load up openvz containers? - this was you can work with and test both
    www.cartika.com
    www.clusterlogics.com - You simply cannot run a hosting company without this software. Backups, Disaster Recovery, Big Data, Virtualization. 20 years of building software that solves your problems

Xen-HVM is great which emulates full hardware, so you can modify, compile and run your kernel if you like.

Xen-PV is okay but unlike the case with HVM, pv-GRUB is necessary for PV to boot your own bzImage.

For development purposes, you can also try installing one or more UML-based virtual servers on your own desktop computer to save cost and experience the fastest network response. Actually, I managed to install UML in my OpenVZ VPS.