This site and personal titles

Hi,

Now I have a personal observation to share: Host Bluf

When you look around these forums there are a lot of "CEO's" and "sales" and other management sounding titles. Now for some reason it made me very curious because some of the people sound / write like 16 year olds.

So I did some research and found quit a few really where between the age of 17 / 22 did not own any real companies but just resold other peoples services. Nothing odd about reselling right? I mean most of us here resell someone else's service with our own added expertise.

But what annoys me is the fancy titles, some 19 year old kid putting CEO in his sig and pretending he runs a "company". In realityhe is just sitting at home with daddies mobile phone lol. From my point of view this is just dishonest.

Now the other side is this kid might be really good at getting stuff running and brilliant at his job. But why all this bling bling? Its just a major dissapointment to find out your not dealing with the CEO of a big reliable company but some kid with a mobile phone.

anyway, just my thoughts. Perhaps some sort of check would be cool, although I can't imagine how it could ever work lol.

At the end of the day, if service is good and reliable enough, then the age of whoever is runnin the show is irrelevant.
    Most people in this forum bash young "CEOs" but i still can't understand why. A 19yr old kid could have more experience than a 42yr old man. And in my opinion, for an industry like webhosting, if I see a Kid with say 1yr experience and a 40yr old guy with same 1yr experience, then I'll rather go with the Kid.
    Reason because young minds learn and adapt quicker.
    It's all about Client Support
    www.Hostlings.net - Shared and Reseller Hosting

(cPanel + Fantastico + WHM + all the bells and
    whistles)

I agree with montypaks. A 19 year is almost certainly not a CEO, simply because incorporating at that age is highly unlikely; however, a legitimate 19 year old sole-proprietor is conceivable. A large, reliable hosting company may not even be incorporated. Yes, the term CEO is used much too loosely, but just because someone isn't a CEO doesn't mean that he or she is inept. As for support via his or her dad's cell phone, I have never heard of that from anyone else. I would assume that most young resellers use their parent host's support or outsource to a third party. As monty said young people do learn well and have spent a greater percent of their lives around the internet then, continuing monty's example, a 42 year old. Also, a college student should, theoretically, be able to write very well.

OK, I'm 26 right now

I've held a CEO position for 2 years in consulting company. I've had 2 employees - 18 and 19 years. If you imagine consulting business - you know, this is a real storm for the brain.

And I honestly state - those 2 young men performed MUCH better than other mature 35+ years consultants with 10+ years experience.

Now, if it comes to webhosting. If I have a stable host, no problems with my stuff on the host, if I pay honest price for it - I don't care if the company is invented by 18 y.o. teen and he's CEO, Sales Manager, Marketing Director all-in-one.

I opt for the final product, not for the one(s) that deliver it.

Quote Originally Posted by Montypaks
    And in my opinion, for an industry like webhosting, if I see a Kid with say 1yr experience and a 40yr old guy with same 1yr experience, then I'll rather go with the Kid.
    Reason because young minds learn and adapt quicker.
    It's a totally valid observation, absolutely, but the other side of the coin is, the 40 yr old will tend to be more mature and is more likely to be customer service oriented. When you're dealing with people reselling webhosting, the ability to learn and adapt isn't as important as it would be if you were dealing with people actually operating their own servers, because that person largely doesn't have to deal with the technical issues, just needs to delegate them in a timely manner to the appropriate place, and know how to communicate effectively with customers. That's not to say young people can't do that either, just in general, in my experience, older people tend to be stronger in these areas.

But that aside, I say if you're 17 years old with your dads mobile phone, calling yourself a CEO here, and you are on the ball, keeping your customers satisifed, more power to you, you have my respect and possibly my business. If you're 40 and CEO of an incorporated entity that treats its customers like easily replaceable commodities, you don't deserve any extra respect here or elsewhere for your "real" title, and you and your business deserve to go down in flames.

Quote Originally Posted by chatfan
    Hi,

Now I have a personal observation to share: Host Bluf

When you look around these forums there are a lot of "CEO's" and "sales" and other management sounding titles. Now for some reason it made me very curious because some of the people sound / write like 16 year olds.

So I did some research and found quit a few really where between the age of 17 / 22 did not own any real companies but just resold other peoples services. Nothing odd about reselling right? I mean most of us here resell someone else's service with our own added expertise.

But what annoys me is the fancy titles, some 19 year old kid putting CEO in his sig and pretending he runs a "company". In realityhe is just sitting at home with daddies mobile phone lol. From my point of view this is just dishonest.

Now the other side is this kid might be really good at getting stuff running and brilliant at his job. But why all this bling bling? Its just a major dissapointment to find out your not dealing with the CEO of a big reliable company but some kid with a mobile phone.

anyway, just my thoughts. Perhaps some sort of check would be cool, although I can't imagine how it could ever work lol.
    Industry Fact: Were over-run with "kiddy host"
    Industry Fact: Most of the big players in the industry are run by people under 25, who started out in mommy/daddy's basement

If they have something going for them, aka Good Support / Sales and people skills they can make it, if they don't, they wont be here next year.

With parental help, you can get an LLC at any age, so it is very possible they are a CEO, etc.