Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Datacenter offering colocation with office space

Hi WHT,

I am looking for a DC in USA which can offer me colocation space with an small office space to have my onsite staff 24 x 7. I need around 400-550sq ft of space in which i am going to have only 2 full cab. Power requirements are very less to start with. Please suggest me some DCs. Thank you.

Droopy

Hi Droopy,

The USA is quite a large country. Which region of the US are you looking for space in? Do you require specific carriers? What's your budget?

Thanks.
    Jason Canady • Unlimited Net, LLC
    812.669.0551 • sales [at] unlimitednet.us
    Midwest Hosting Solutions • AS11990
    Dedicated Server Hosting

Quote Originally Posted by droopy123 View Post
    Hi WHT,

I am looking for a DC in USA which can offer me colocation space with an small office space to have my onsite staff 24 x 7. I need around 400-550sq ft of space in which i am going to have only 2 full cab. Power requirements are very less to start with. Please suggest me some DCs. Thank you.

Droopy
    Do you mean to say you want 400-550sq ft of office space AND 2 full cabs, or you want 400-550sq ft of space which contains both your 2 full cabs and your office space?

Is office space nearby acceptable or must it be in the same building? A lot of datacenters are located in downtown areas, and it would therefore be pretty easy to find an office space located in a building one or two blocks away, if that wouldn't be a deal breaker. Office space in the datacenter itself is going to be harder to find, especially if you need 400sq ft of it for only a 2 cab commitment. I had to basically beg my DC to sell me a small cubicle while only having 2 cabs directly with the facility (and several more through subleasing another tenant), even though their website and sales tour touts the availability of offices and cubicles, I had to basically say "look, if I don't get an office space I can't set up any more servers, simple as that" before they were willing to look into it for me. So I think it's going to be a tough sell in most cases.
    IOFLOOD.com -- We Love Servers
    Phoenix, AZ Dedicated Servers in under an hour
    ★ Ryzen 9: 7950x3D ★ Dual E5-2680v4 Xeon ★
    Contact Us: sales@ioflood.com

Coresite in Reston VA can do this for you. They have a ton of 10x10 or 10x12 offices you can lease and have xconnects going back to our rack.
    Yellow Fiber Networks
    http://www.yellowfiber.net : Managed Solutions - Colocation - Network Services IPv4/IPv6
    Ashburn/Denver/NYC/Dallas/Chicago Markets Served zak@yellowfiber.net

CoreSite in Boston offers the same with variable sized office spaces available. I don't think anyone with have office space directly next to your racks unless you pay for the space at the cost per square foot of datacenter space (which doesn't make sense, but anyone would probably do it).

However, CoreSite and Telx provide space in their facilities that is usually on a different floor or different area of the same floor where there is a group of offices separate from the DC space.

Quote Originally Posted by colomondo View Post
    CoreSite in Boston offers the same with variable sized office spaces available. I don't think anyone with have office space directly next to your racks unless you pay for the space at the cost per square foot of datacenter space (which doesn't make sense, but anyone would probably do it).

However, CoreSite and Telx provide space in their facilities that is usually on a different floor or different area of the same floor where there is a group of offices separate from the DC space.
    A datacenter isn't going to throw up a wall in the middle of their colo floor either.
    Yellow Fiber Networks
    http://www.yellowfiber.net : Managed Solutions - Colocation - Network Services IPv4/IPv6
    Ashburn/Denver/NYC/Dallas/Chicago Markets Served zak@yellowfiber.net

well that is correct, but I have been in several facilities where companies simply setup a couple of desks and workstations inside of their cage on the datacenter floor and stationed employees there all day.

The deployments were much larger than 2 cabinets, and they were typically power dense deployments, so the DC floorspace they occupied may have been excess space that they couldn't power anyway, but I am sure a DC will aloow you to do that if you paid them for the space and fees related to loss power revenue, etc.

Renting an suite next to the datacenter would be your best bet.

You need to look at a market that the real estate costs are not so high...
    SmartHost™ - Intelligent Hosting! - Multiple Locations - US/EU! - Ultra-Fast NVME SSD VPS!
    http://www.smarthost.net - sales@smarthost.net - Resale/Affiliate Programs
    Cloud Hosting - VPS Hosting - Dedicated Servers - Colocation - Flux Capacitors

Quote Originally Posted by BurstNET View Post
    You need to look at a market that the real estate costs are not so high...
    Typically areas by DataCenters are more expensive (real estate wise), at least it is true here.
    Keith I Myers
    KMyers.me The rantings of a lunatic
    Join me on Technical.chat

Quote Originally Posted by KMyers View Post
    Typically areas by DataCenters are more expensive (real estate wise), at least it is true here.
    Depends on the individual market.

Regardless, I was referring more towards not trying to find something like this in New York City, and trying a Tier 2 or 3 market instead...which tends to have more available space and at reasonable prices.
    SmartHost™ - Intelligent Hosting! - Multiple Locations - US/EU! - Ultra-Fast NVME SSD VPS!
    http://www.smarthost.net - sales@smarthost.net - Resale/Affiliate Programs
    Cloud Hosting - VPS Hosting - Dedicated Servers - Colocation - Flux Capacitors

[QUOTE=funkywizard;7967620]Do you mean to say you want 400-550sq ft of office space AND 2 full cabs, or you want 400-550sq ft of space which contains both your 2 full cabs and your office space?

/QUOTE]

I am confused by this as well. We offer 1-, 2- and 3-person dedicated, locking offices to data center customers...but they are not on the raised floor (that would be expensive office space!).

[QUOTE=Columbus DataCenter;7968761]
    Quote Originally Posted by funkywizard View Post
    Do you mean to say you want 400-550sq ft of office space AND 2 full cabs, or you want 400-550sq ft of space which contains both your 2 full cabs and your office space?

/QUOTE]

I am confused by this as well. We offer 1-, 2- and 3-person dedicated, locking offices to data center customers...but they are not on the raised floor (that would be expensive office space!).
    You'd be surprised. I've seen a fair number of customers in the datacenter we use who have a mostly empty cage with a desk and pc in there which is obviously used as office space. That said they might just be using a massive amount of power in the racks they have and are obligated to get that much floor space if they want that much power, and therefore are putting the extra space to good use.

or maybe they're penguins

Quote Originally Posted by Columbus DataCenter View Post
    this!

10char
    AS395558

Quote Originally Posted by Columbus DataCenter View Post
    Depends what part of the DC you're in. Our cage, the "hot aisle" is often extremely cold. Another part of the DC, the temperature certainly is low enough to keep the servers happy, but significantly higher temperatures. In any case, the noise makes it not a good place to be working for an extended period.

most local US data centers can recommend a local agent for real estate as well
    http://www.QuoteColo.com - Colocation, Miner Hosting, Dedicated and Cloud Hosting Quotes

You'd be surprised. I've seen a fair number of customers in the datacenter we use who have a mostly empty cage with a desk and pc in there which is obviously used as office space.
    I feel bad for the poor sucker that needs (employed) to be there. I would go insane.

Imagine going home to still hear the same whine. And when you fall asleep, you'll only dream about being stuck in a 747's engine.

600 W. 7th, LA (Carrier Center, owned by Digital Realty Trust) has "Tech Suites" on the 5th Floor which seem to be exactly what you are looking for. The building itself has Equinix LA, TelX, and Cyberverse as viable options for carrier neutral collocation space.

Try contacting Chad Allison at DRT: callison@digitalrealtytrust.com . For collocation in the same building, you can try:

Jay Smith at Cyberverse: jay@cyberverse.com
    Mark Jiannino at TelX: mjiannino@telx.com
    Masud Mazumder at Equinix: masud@equinix.com

To save you some time, I listed these in order of cost

Quote Originally Posted by gigist View Post
    I feel bad for the poor sucker that needs (employed) to be there. I would go insane.

Imagine going home to still hear the same whine. And when you fall asleep, you'll only dream about being stuck in a 747's engine.
    More power to them, you do what you have to do to run a lean shop.

I've worked in a fair number of DC's and I sure as hell wouldn't want to be sitting at a desk in the DC for any length of time. For a start, I'd lose my man-veg up my groin permanently and I'd quickly go deaf!
    miniVPS - UK Based Value and Premium VPS Servers!
    Xavvo.com Innovative Hosting for Innovative People!

Digital Realty Trust is a good option. A little over a year ago we looked at office space and cage space on their datacenter floor. We would have been able to get 3 fiber pairs into the "landlord" rack in the Telx MMR for the building included for free in our lease (I'm sure we could have negotiated more). Overall, the office space (about 7,000 sq ft.) was on par with market pricing. Datacenter rates were pretty good, but definitely on the higher range of the area. They price based on kW capacity, not physical space.

Aside from DRT, a lot of datacenters in major urban areas are in buildings with office space available. You can normally get riser capacity into the building MMR.

If you don't need to be in the same physical building, a cheaper option might be to talk to local transport providers and get an on-net building list. You'd be surprised how much you can get a GigE or other services for.
    iCall Carrier Services - Carrier-grade VoIP services from a licensed CLEC - http://carriers.icall.com
    Domestic termination and origination, toll-free origination, A-Z International termination, dedicated servers, and colocation in our wholly-owned datacenter
    Real-time ordering via our control panel or XML-based API with over 20,000 numbers in stock

Asking for both in the same location is probably going to make you overpay for one or the other. Find a nice colo site that has some office space nearby or in the same building and get them from different companies. A 10 minute walk isn't going to make a big difference in response time and you will probably save a bundle.

With an IP PDU, IP KVM and some good procedures you should never feel the need to run.

Latisys-Ashburn offers Office Space at a premium cost. Talk to Tim Keeting, he always has something available.

All in all it depends on which market you're looking to go in.
    LionLink Networks
    Ashburn Data Center Colocation, Infrastructure Solutions, and Premium Optimized Connectivity
    Infrastructure and Colocation Solutions For All Sizes - Managed Services - Dedicated Servers - Data Center Consulting - Now POP'd @ RagingWire! | www.lionlink.net | sales@lionlink.net | (844) DATA-CENTER | Ashburn Colocation

Quote Originally Posted by dacentec View Post
    Asking for both in the same location is probably going to make you overpay for one or the other. Find a nice colo site that has some office space nearby or in the same building and get them from different companies. A 10 minute walk isn't going to make a big difference in response time and you will probably save a bundle.

With an IP PDU, IP KVM and some good procedures you should never feel the need to run.
    I agree. But if they would like to have someone 24/7 and can afford it do it.

You can get everything IP based now days.

Office space nearby is best bet if on a budget. But you find a small enough data center that would be willing to do a deal would be better. The larger ones will charge a premium and you will pay either way.
    OCOSA Communications | Since 2003
    http://www.ocosa.com
    Domains, Hosting, Business Solutions, and Connectivity

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast