Post Windows web server+MS SQL server+Smart Mail in ONE SERVER!

Guys I am new with windows servers hosting, I am thinking to have only one server and install the following:

WIN 2008 + MS SQL 2008 + Smart mail as a Mail server.

I talked with smartertools guys and they said its ok and it shouldn't have down time issues.

I would appreciate if you give me your opinion

1. would that be an issue?
    2. whats the minimum specifications for the server?
    3. is there anything I should know about?

Thank you

Works great.

I have a SQL 2008 server, SmarterMail and WIn2008, MySQL
    WebSitePanel/ MspControl / SolidCP / Smartermail / Installation / Configuration / Troubleshooting / Migrations
    Windows Server Management / Security / Hardening
    I speak English and Spanish

It should work without any problems. Only if you run heavy database driven applications something might fail but rare.`

While it may work great for others, it depends on your resources available. Smartermail can be a real pain , esspecially if you run the internal webserver and not running it in IIS. THis goes for sql, if you don't see the memory allocation from the default configuration, it can and will use up all your memory. 1GB is pushing it, 2GB would be a good amount, esspecially if you require some overhead.
    Keith Mitchell,Dedicated & Virtual Server Engineer,Hosting.com
    Check out my Technical Blog - Keithdmitchell.com

Works fine. We have a Win 2008 Web, Plesk, MSSQL 2005 and SmarterMail.

Specifications depend entirely on what you need. From dual core to dual quad core, 2GB RAM to 16GB...

I recommend at least 4GB Ram if you set up the server to provide hosting service.
    PremiumReseller.com Hyper-V SSD VPS USA London Singapore
    Reseller Hosting Cpanel PURE SSD CloudLinux Softaculous
    Windows Reseller Asp.NET 4.5 MSSQL SmarterMail Enterprise

My server with SQL 2008 server, SmarterMail and WIn2008, MySQL:

Intel Core2Quad Q6600
    4gb DDR2
    hd: 400gb SATA2
    hd2: 160gb
    port: 100mbps
    WebSitePanel/ MspControl / SolidCP / Smartermail / Installation / Configuration / Troubleshooting / Migrations

This ultimately depends on the site(s) you host (traffic) and the queries you run against the database(s).

While you can get away with 512Mb of ram I suggest a minimum of 1Gb as Server 2008 is pretty intent on caching all your available memory for disk i/o.
    Larry Dougherty
    Hosting.com Server Engineer

If its a database intensive application, get a good HDD, ie 10k rpm +, ideally a SAS 15k

Monitor it,

With a half decent server, it will cope. Just make sure that as you put more load on it you keep an eye on it - when it starts getting a little 'full' either upgrade it or get another server and split one of the services onto the other server.
    Regards,
    Leigh

Host High - reliable UK hosting

Thank you guys for your help

1. would that be an issue? No, as long as you have the hardware to support the load
    2. whats the minimum specifications for the server? 2-4GB RAM minimum, prefer SAS drives but SATA would work *depending on load*
    3. is there anything I should know about? How to secure said services & make sure you cap SQL 2008 memory consumption before it steals all your memory allocation
    Linux & Windows Hosting Expert @ Contegix
    FedRAMP / HIPAA / PCI Compliant Cloud Solutions backed by 24x7x365 Technical Support
    Specializing in high traffic Drupal and WordPress compliant sites + highly customized solutions
    rjohnson@contegix.com -- 877-289-0395 x2018 -- www.Contegix.com

whats the best software to manage/provide control panels?

DotNetPanel

Quote Originally Posted by jackpx View Post
    DotNetPanel
    +1 for DotNetPanel - it has worked great for us including for Hyper-V based VPS services.
    ██ SoftSys Hosting ██ - 14 Years In Business - 24/7 In-House Support - Enterprise Class Replicated Cloud Servers For HA

Cloud Hosting With Anti-Malware, IDS/IPS, WAF & Litespeed - Windows 2019 Shared Hosting w/ Plesk

There shouldn't be any issues with this setup however..

It is always best to split up your services. This is because if there is a failure with one of them, requiring reboots, installs etc, separation will ensure that the other services aren't affected.

What we always recommend is to virtualize. Even on your dedicated server install Hyper-V and create a couple of of VPS. Install each service in its own VPS.

When you grow you can move the VPS off to different servers. Great scalable solution. You can even resell your excess RAM via VPS .

thanks Ultima VPS I actually thought of this