Hybrid View

Private Nameservers

What is the process for finding out who the hosting company is whenever a site is using private nameservers?

It mainly depends on how the DNS is setup. Please provide more details so we can help you out.
    Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Sorry for double post, clicked on "Submit Reply".

With some companies, it is really easy to find out the real one.
    Imagination is more important than knowledge.

I am simply trying to determine if you can find out what company is hosting a website if private nameservers are used.

If a company is using domain name server in resemblence with their domain name, its really easy to find-out. Eitherwise search the who-is of the domain name used for DNS entries, maybe you get a clue from there.
    CEO - |HostingBrand.com|

Often with shared hosting you just have to forward resolve the domain to the IP, then find out the reverse of that. The hostname will usually be related to the host in some fashion. Failing that you can try just entering the IP into your web browser and see what you get, or whois, but most hosts are too small to have their own IP allocation, and most clients put their own info on their domain registration, so this won't usually get you anywhere.

What should I do to protect my host's identity? I do not want anyone to be able to find out who my site is hosted with. I will be using a shared account.

Originally posted by Ichiro
    What should I do to protect my host's identity? I do not want anyone to be able to find out who my site is hosted with. I will be using a shared account.
    offtopic : why not ? I can't think of a reason

Ichiro,

using outsourced dns would help.

dnsmadeeasy or zoneedit, for example.

Or you could buy a few thousand servers, a datacenter, and a dozen super high-speed connections to the internet. That would work.
    Daily Updated Web Hosting News Blog
    Including an RSS feed that you can syndicate!
    Daily Updated Web Hosting News Blog
    Unlimited vs. Unmetered bandwidth

Ichiro, there really is no way to hide the host. Even if you play around with DNS its simple enough to whois the IP address(es) of the shared machine and find either the host in question or the company that reseller deals with. (Keep in mind in this case when I say host, I mean whoever the IP addresses are delegated to) I've also seen a lot of companies default to redirecting to their websites if you put an ip address into a browser for shared machines.

12. Try a site like (www) whois.sc/domainname here/
    * sorry cant post links yet
    then using the reverse tools (need to register) you should be able to find the host name for the domain.....

and maybe trace the host that way....

Might get you a little closer