Best hard drives?

I think my current hard drive is dying. It clicks, grinds, skips, locks, spits out nasty, random, unknown errors, and all that good stuff I'm not surprised, I've had it for 3 years, it's stuffed full of data and running almost constantly. I'm actually surprised it lasted this long.

Anyway, after hearing some not-so-good sounding clicks tonight, I went to newegg.com and bought a 120GB Western Digital 7200rpm (8mb cache) drive for $160. My current drive is a 30GB Maxtor (big jump.. what am I going to do with the rest of that sapce?). Now I'm just hoping I made the right choice.

Any input?

I like Maxtor... a lot!
    Matt Wallis
    United Communications Limited
    High Performance Shared & Reseller | Managed VPS Cloud | Managed Dedicated
    UK www.unitedhosting.co.uk | US www.unitedhosting.com | Since 1998.

Very very nice choice on the WD, I only use them. I have 6 7200rpm WD HDs between my 2 systems....there excellent.

I have a 80GIG 7200RPM Barracuda Seagate hard drive. It's as quiet as a baby sleeping and as fast as a Doge Viper.

My other choices are:

Western Digital - Very Good. Also good warrenty.
    Maxtor - Kind of loud but very good and lasts long time.

I would NOT recommend a FUJI Hard drive or even a IBM hard drive.

StaY CLeAr!!

Over the last couple of days I have been wondering about my hard disk as well. I keep hearing these ticking type noises, which is usually the first sign it is about to go.

What I had forgot was that the other night I put my little travel clock on the top of the computer and it was the clock I could hear not the hard disk at all.

As for your new harddisk .. I prefer quantum (now maxtor) but seeing you have already brought it, it's to late to change now ... not that theres a lot of difference these days anyway. ... Of course it's probably going to take you a week or two to fill it up.

Doc
    www.doctorhill.com.au
    Need help? just ask The Doctor
    House calls a specialty
    If ignorance is bliss, why aren't more people happy ?

Whatever you do, don't get an IBM Deathstar

I'm not a very big WD fan, but a lot of people have luck with them so they are decent. I have to really stand by Maxtor here, as every single computer here at home (4 of them) have maxtor hard drives. I won't count my brand new laptop, as it is an IBM laptop so I bet it doesn't have a Maxtor HD

Anyway, all of my desktops are between 3 and 6 years old, and not a single maxtor has crashed or given me trouble *knock on wood*. I think it is close to 200 gigs of hard drives, one is a main server I've used for years as a web/FTP server. Also, my parents have my very old 486SX machine that is what, about a decade old? It too runs maxtor and they use it everyday to play solitare or something on Windows 3.1

I did try a WD drive once.. and it crashed within a month of owning it. So I replaced it with maxtor and haven't looked back. I know some people have had problems with them, so I'm sure every hard drive manufacturer has its bad batches, but so far I've been blessed for years without a single problem

I've got that disk only the 80GB model.
    It's worked amazingly well for me after my IBM packed up.
    I'm sure you must be able to find something to fill it up, have you never heard of kazaa?
    web:http://www.allabouthosting.co.uk
    email: sales@allabouthosting.co.uk

kazaa sucks to be honest - much better programs/ways.
    Matt Wallis
    United Communications Limited
    High Performance Shared & Reseller | Managed VPS Cloud | Managed Dedicated
    UK www.unitedhosting.co.uk | US www.unitedhosting.com | Since 1998.

I use Maxtor, I had very bad luck with Western Digital (2 crapped caviar drives, this was however 3 years ago). Never tried anything else.

...Going off on a tangent, but what about IBM's SCSI hard drives? Would you recommend those over their IDE?
    Domain Software, LLC.

If you've got the money to go SCSI over IDE, I would

But SCSI IBM?
    Domain Software, LLC.

I perfer maxtor drives.

<rant>
    After my 3rd failed WD without warning (I thought I got some from a bad batch), and lost data I decided to give up on WD. couple years later I had bought a laptop and the HD died, guess what it was a WD... So I sent it in and the HD was replaced and about 5 months later it died also. It was a WD. Since my laptop is still under warranty and I could send it in for a new HD, Ive decided to wait and put in my own HD.

I've personally had nothing but bad luck with WD, so I stick with Maxtor. I've only had 1 maxtor casualty, but I knew it was gonig to go, and it was onyl 230 MB so no problem.

Almost all of my data loss was because of a WD HD failure.
    </rant>
    Don't like what I say? Ignore me.

Originally posted by jimcarter
    I'm sure you must be able to find something to fill it up, have you never heard of kazaa?
    No KaZaA for Linux I'm thinking of just leaving a bunch of space unpartitioned and puttnig another OS on there when I get the time -- maybe try out FreeBSD or some other Linux distributions

Anyway, thanks everyone -- seems that the opinions are about equal between Maxtor and WD, and thankfully there is a 3-year manufacturer warranty on the WD drive I bought in case it does go bad.

Though I'm a bit annoyed right now, I just went back to newegg.com and the price on my drive dropped $4!

For those interested in Kazaa In my opinion Grokster is better, it uses the same network however it is better for resuming and searching.

As for putting a second operating system on the same drive, what I find is better is to have another drive mount the drives in removable racks, just change drive when you want the other os.

Doc
    www.doctorhill.com.au
    House calls a specialty

just change drive when you want the other os.
    Don't forget to turn the computer off first.
    www.doctorhill.com.au
    House calls a specialty

To answer the question, I am a fan of the 18 and 32GB Seagate Cheetahs @ 15000 RPMs. For large amounts of storage (a few TB or so) a 3ware card (PATA) and a dozen or more Maxtor drives.

Secondly, usenet will always be there, P2P networks are annual fads like pogs and snap bracelets. Not to mention where else can you get lossless audio at 9 mbits per second?

Originally posted by JeremyV
    Whatever you do, don't get an IBM Deathstar

I agree 100%. I just had to RMA my 2nd IBM 120GXP within 1 year. IBM - now Hitachi- is THE worst!
    I've got WD's right now with 8MB cache and I really like them for the money. If you really want the best and don't mind paying...definiately go SCSI.
    Cutting Edge Hardware Reviews - FastLane Hardware Forums

The Western Digital Special Editions are freaking awesome!
    80GB
    7200 RPM
    ATA100
    8MB Cache

They freaking fly.

You can find one here:
    --
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...tby=14&order=1
    --
    Know It All Solutions Incorporated
    Web Design, Web Development and Web Hosting

That's the one I bought, only 120GB