NameCheap vs Moniker

I have been using NameCheap for approximately two years. No real problems, great prices and feature list. Their service is a little bit spotty: Sometimes, I get a response within hours. Other times, my e-mail seems to get lost, and I receive no response whatsoever.

Moniker.com seems to be the new big kid on the block, being used by all of the major players. If you prepay $1000, the prices are very similar, but Moniker.com is supposed to be more secure. This can either be a very good thing, or a very bad thing.

Thoughts? Rumors? Opinions? Thanks in advance.

I read an interesting article about moniker, it made me more aware of domain registration security.

Since reading the article I've been umming and ahhing as to whether to use moniker myself, but I haven't yet made the jump.

true moniker just gave more attention to security and attracted some big domain players
    Bashar Al-Abdulhadi - KuwaitNET Internet Services Serving customers since 1997
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

Twitter: Bashar Al-Abdulhadi

I believe that's their niche. Among the registrars I've studied, they
    have the most number of security measures I've ever seen.

It isn't even a question between Namecheap and Moniker. Monte is top notch and their security is the best around and no one can disagree. They also track down scammers

I can not see the domain pricing on their web site. When you go to domain registar's web site it should be easy to find type of extensions offered, pricing and registar's policy.

Best Regards
    D.
    DawHB.com - Web Hosting Blog | VPSHostDir.com - VPS Hosting Media

Pricing can be a little steep unless you have a portfolio of a hand ful of names and then they drop the prices. I would rather pay a few dollars more knowing my names are as secure as they can get.

Is Moniker ICANN accredited ?

According to your comments they are very reliable, or am I missing out something here ?
    If they are, it's weird they're discussed here so few times (few times compared to Namecheap, Domainsite, GoDaddy, eNom, ...)

Security is a very high matter for me, I don't have any domains worth lots of cash but they're emotionally valueble to me. So if Moniker is the best option, I may check them out.

yes they are icann accredited
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

Yes they are ICANN accredited, they have an escrow service, drop service etc.. they are not public here but other domain forums they are very pro active. Security is their number one cause.

But they're even very rarely discussed here... (though could be good news as well: no talk because of no complaints ?)

Didn't they also have an option where ownership of domains could only be transfered via written permission by the owner (faxed or sent by postal service) ?

Yes and that is what makes them good, they are making sure the requests are in order before any names are trasnfered. Might take a day or two longer but better to have your name than have it hijacked or straight out stolen.

I've been looking for a registrar with paperworks since ages !! This sounds great...

Do they have a fast support ? Very few downtimes or no downtimes on their DNS ?

I think they should make prices clear on their site.

Here's another article

And a blog which states that Moniker has never lost a domain name through hijacking here. See entry for June 14 05.

i still trust namecheap
    ServerFreak Malaysia Web Hosting
    Malaysia Web Hosting | VPS | Dedicated Server

Originally posted by Gerrit
    But they're even very rarely discussed here... (though could be good news as well: no talk because of no complaints ?)
    In that case, let's invite moniker's CEO, Monte Cahn, to join the
    fun here.

What happened to the last few posts, including those from Monte, the CEO of Moniker?

i think they were deleted due violating the rules of self promotion in the public forums.

shareing/discussing general ideas is ok but advertising in the public main forums is not allowed except in the advertising forums at webhostingtalk.

If advertising is not allowed here, then take a look at bashar's last post at the bottom. That's clearly advertising. The rule seems to only apply to some posters.

Originally posted by clmhold
    If advertising is not allowed here, then take a look at bashar's last post at the bottom. That's clearly advertising. The rule seems to only apply to some posters.
    rules here http://www.webhostingtalk.com/misc.p...on=forum-rules apply to everyone including moderators

but advertising in signature doesn't violate the rules.

I haven very little direct experience (domains registered there) with Moniker but I've talked with some of their people including Monte Cahn their CEO and they have all been great people to talk to and very honest about how they do business. They don't seem to be end-user oriented (well not cheap end users who are looking to registrar at the lowest upfront cost, maybe more corporate type end users).
    Kevin Ohashi - Founder of ReviewSignal.com - Honest Web Hosting Reviews
    Check out my 2021 WordPress Hosting Performance Benchmarks, the most comprehensive look at WP hosting performance