Thread: VoIP on a VPS?

Hybrid View

VoIP on a VPS?

Hello,

i have a VPS and i have a VoIP phone that i use (i use it alot) i was putting credit into my account then i thought why cant i install my own VoIP Server. I started searching and came up with some software but now iam stuck.
    What i realy like to do is have a VoIP server installed on my VPS

how would i do this?
    What is the best software to use?
    Do you have to pay for the software?
    What are the min requirements of the VPS?
    Is there somesort of webapplication so i can easily configure the software?
    Can you make calls to other VoIP servers and Home Landlines?
    Is it posible to make money from a VoIP Server?

Thanks
    Michael
    Last edited by michael17; 08-22-2007 at 03:34 PM.

Not a good idea.Because voipserver takes quite a lot memory and cpu. So better to use a dedicated one. But if you want to use for yourself only. You can give it a try. There are number of softwares some are free and some are costly. Each has their own features . Before suggesting anything need to know in details what features do you look for and which providers you want to connect to.

Quote Originally Posted by coloheart View Post
    Not a good idea.Because voipserver takes quite a lot memory and cpu. So better to use a dedicated one. But if you want to use for yourself only. You can give it a try. There are number of softwares some are free and some are costly. Each has their own features . Before suggesting anything need to know in details what features do you look for and which providers you want to connect to.
    Thanks coloheart, Could you please explain a bit more about the software, and what other main things for this? I want to use it for myself maybe.. But, I am really DUMB in this field.

You can do a lot with asterisk, and it's open source. Asterisk by itself does not need that much memory and CPU power, however, it is very time critical so a VPS is not a good idea. Beware, learning curve can be steep if you want to do it right.
    Pings <1 ms, Unlimited Transfer, Lowest Price: http://localhost/

Michael,

After weeks of getting nowhere trying to get Asterisk going (yes I know, but I get bored easily!) I stumbled upon 3CX software.

After getting a Windows VPS sorted out I installed the free edition of the software for some testing and within the hour everything was up and going.

The VPS I am on is fine, audio is crystal clear between a few people on the box and it comes with voice mail etc.

Worth a look if you get a Windows VPS in my opinion.

Ry

There are basically the same QoS limitations on a Linux/Windows VPS. Windows is even more limited. The fact that you installed it fast on Windows, is the VoIP software advantage, not the OS one

I have a VPS with Lylix.net
    I am very pleased with it. I have it set up with a couple voip lines from vitelity.net

The VPS runs Trixbox (an all-inclusive asterisk package). It's all open source and will handle about 30 concurrent calls on my $17/month VPS
    PM me if you have any questions.

Lylix

Quote Originally Posted by Schwagoo View Post
    I have a VPS with Lylix.net
    I am very pleased with it. I have it set up with a couple voip lines from vitelity.net

The VPS runs Trixbox (an all-inclusive asterisk package). It's all open source and will handle about 30 concurrent calls on my $17/month VPS
    PM me if you have any questions.
    Can you tell me what you have for $17 a month and how many lines you have on it.

Several of our clients run asterisk under a Xen VPS and report no problems.

Now selling BigVPS's!
    Jacksonville Colocation and dedicated servers by colo4jax
    We are *not* a reseller. We own our servers, switches, routers and racks.

Quote Originally Posted by michael17 View Post
    i have a VPS and i have a VoIP phone that i use (i use it alot) i was putting credit into my account then i thought why cant i install my own VoIP Server
    You can as long as your VPS is good enough, but you'll *still* need a VoIP account with someone and credit - so what are you actually trying to achieve ?
    Rob Golding Astutium Ltd - UK based ICANN Accredited Domain Registrar - proud to accept BitCoins
    Buying Web Hosts and Domain Registrars Today @ hostacquisitions.co.uk
    UK Web Hosting | UK VPS | UK Dedicated Servers | ADSL/FTTC | Backup/DR | Cloud
    UK Colocation | Reseller Accounts | IPv6 Transit | Secondary MX | DNS | WHMCS Modules

Quote Originally Posted by othellotech View Post
    You can as long as your VPS is good enough, but you'll *still* need a VoIP account with someone and credit - so what are you actually trying to achieve ?
    I was wondering the same, but I think he's aiming at something different here. As it is, it's just a 'voice chat' limited to the server's clients and not linked to the PSTN

To the OP - not sure how you are going about setting up asterisk - but by using the trixbox distribution - the setup is much more simplified. It's a one-stop shop for VOIP.

I am about to release the OPENVZ image on my personal blog tonight/today.
    Currently I have Trixbox 2.0.0 working 100%. The newest trixbox is almost completed(just takes time)

I would be happy to give anyone the pre-installed image for free. just pm me for a download link(not sure if I can post it here).

You or your host will need a timing device installed for conference calling etc..(though people say they use it fine for just a normal phone line with out timing).
    boxVPS.com - How big is your box?

i think it would work if you ware managing a voip server of a small company... but it would be cheaper to simply buy some credits on skype or similar

Quote Originally Posted by budman714 View Post
    I am about to release the OPENVZ image on my personal blog tonight/today.
    Currently I have Trixbox 2.0.0 working 100%. The newest trixbox is almost completed(just takes time)

I would be happy to give anyone the pre-installed image for free. just pm me for a download link(not sure if I can post it here).

You or your host will need a timing device installed for conference calling etc..(though people say they use it fine for just a normal phone line with out timing).
    The only module you need timing for is the conferencing module. If you don't need conferencing, then the timing module is not needed.
    Ryan G.

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    The only module you need timing for is the conferencing module. If you don't need conferencing, then the timing module is not needed.
    Here is a list of features that depend on the ztdummy (or zaptel) timing device:

iax2
    musiconhold
    meetme (conferencing)
    flash
    paging
    zapbarge
    zapras
    zapscan
    zap channels

The two on that list that are of interest to most would be the inability to use IAX2 providers or devices along with no music on hold.

I am keenly interested in putting an asterisk distribution on a VPS but the lack of these features is definite disadvantage. The resource requirement (after installation) is relative low. Even so a dedicated server is out of the question for me.

Hi,

I've been running Asterisk on a pretty small vps from tektonic (256mb but there's a whole bunch of other stuff on there).

Wrote a bit of a write up here - http://sysadminman.net/archives/9

Matt
    SysAdminMan - Asterisk PBX hosting - FreePBX, A2Billing and Elastix

I recommend use Cloud Solution not VPS , Why ? because the regular vps share resource on same hardware and cloud share from SAN . to Run healthy VOIP recommend minimum of 4GB ram and 4 Cores
    CloudFastservers.com|Cloud VPS Openstack KVM |Cloud VPS Windows
    █ Cloud VPS and Hosting |24/7/365 Support
    █ Data center and servers location: USA Florida, Europe Netherland
    We are *not* a reseller. We own our servers, switches, routers and racks.

Asterisk runs perfect on VPS , CentOS , Kvm or better esx 5.5 , we have managed to squeeze 500 cc out of simple 4 GB instalation