Geekstorage? Any reviews?

I may be changing host and would like to hear any reviews about them.. thnz

Can't say I have heard much about them lately, or in fact not for quite a while

Why GeekStorage?
    l Dedigeeks Shared Wordpress Dedicated Established 2006
    l Leading AUSTRALIAN Hosting Provider Sydney & Melbourne Datacentres
    l cPanel/WHM R1Soft Backups 24/7/365 Support SMS Hosting Alerts*
    l www.dedigeeks.com Managing Director Service Superstars

They're one of hosts I've not used, but want to. I just don't need anything else right now. Prices seem fair, though somewhat higher than Stablehost or Ninjalion (my two USA Linux shared favorites). I can't remember seeing complaint posts on them.

That's my own pre-sales review. I'm interested, so they're doing something right.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

I would rank them below average for my experience with them. I didn't expect much for the price, all I expected was OK uptime and not a slow server. However that wasn't the case.

However for the past month, I have had either extreme slow downs and even downtime issues.

I personally would not recommend them for professional use (Their reseller hosting). But that goes to say they are cheap. It seems cheap and good don't go together that well.

However if they could just fix these slow down issues (Which perhaps might be overloaded servers) I would be satisfied. But with the way things are, I may switch to Beachcomber since I have heard some great reviews about them and their support is fast. (Although I don't use support much)

I thought I would just give them a try (Geek Storage) since they have been around for a while and they seem respected on these forums. But I was kind of disappointed, but like they say, you get what you pay for. (But I didn't expect the world really, only times I have used support is to complain about slow loading times in cPanel my websites etc or downtime which occurs sometimes)

Their support? Their support is acceptable if you want to be fed information which doesn't actually solve any issues. Other than that, I am a little fed up with them.
    Last edited by Jonathan J; 09-04-2011 at 12:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan J View Post
    Their support? Their support is acceptable if you want to be fed information which doesn't actually solve any issues. Other than that, I am a little fed up with them.
    lol.. thanks for the honesty.. I rather not have that kind of support that seems so superficial and ineffective..

Just search for reviews of Geekstorage on WHT and Google. I'm sure you'll find some.

Quote Originally Posted by Speicherfisch View Post
    Just search for reviews of Geekstorage on WHT and Google. I'm sure you'll find some.
    You want to look for RECENT reviews.

The only reason I went with GeekStorage was because:

• They had good reviews, but they were old reviews dating to 2008. Not recent.
    • They had been around for a decent amount of time.
    • They were cheap.

According to what I've read their service has been going down hill for sometime now. But I don't recall what thread I read that in.

I asked if I could be moved to another server recently. They said no, since all other servers were at full capacity. But they said they would get to the bottom of the slow downs.

They originally stated that the weekly back ups were causing the slow downs. - So they disabled the weekly back ups. (Though they said the daily back ups were still running to their credit) But that really didn't change the speed of things.

All I can get out of them is generic messages like this:

09/04/2011 We have noticed a few different issues causing system slowdowns at times, we are actively seeking resolutions to these problems and identifying them as they arise. We do apologize for the trouble and thank you for your patience and understanding.

They sent above message to me today in a ticket I created 10 days ago.

However around 10 days ago this was their response:

08/26/2011 Right now we do not have another open reseller server, we could move your account but there would be slow speeds as the other servers are on older hardware and at capacity. We are aware of the slow speeds on the Omega server and we are working around the clock to get the problem under control, however we have not seen the downtime you mentioned. Could you let me know how much downtime you have experienced this month?

Should it really take 10 days to solve an issue like this if you are working around the clock to get this issue under control?

Maybe I am wrong and this issue they are having is something technical which cannot be explained. But whatever the case, why would I stay with them. Maybe their servers are over crowded or something and they need to take a look at their resource allocation for each account.

Just my 2 cents for what it is worth.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan J View Post
    You want to look for RECENT reviews.
    Just my 2 cents for what it is worth.
    Thanks for your 2 cts worth.. is great info for me. Noted

I just posted a rundown of my experiences with them in the "GeekStorage.com - 50% OFF..." thread (sorry, I can't link it because this stupid forum doesn't allow me to post links!). The gist of it is, their servers appear to be overloaded, they appear unable to manage them properly, my sites have frequently been slow or completely unresponsive, and their support staff tends to throw out generic apologies or shift the blame rather than address your issues.

Do not use GeekStorage.

Apparently reviews are not allowed in the advertising threads (though the rules simply specify no trolling and no complaining about the ad deal itself) so my post was deleted. Fortunately I'd saved it, so I've started a new thread with it in this subforum titled "Avoid GeekStorage" (sorry, still can't post links).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by immaterial View Post
    Apparently reviews are not allowed in the advertising threads (though the rules simply specify no trolling and no complaining about the ad deal itself) so my post was deleted. Fortunately I'd saved it, so I've started a new thread with it in this subforum titled "Avoid GeekStorage" (sorry, still can't post links).
    This IS really informative! Ty

Yeah I've noticed a lot of slow loading for my sites hosted on geek storage for a while now. I signed up for 2 years having read some favourable reviews 6 months ago, but unfortunately I'm going to have to move the main domain elsewhere because it can take around 30 seconds to load the main page!

Don't use Geekstorage

I have used several hosting companies in the past, Site 5, Hostgator, etc. I have to say that I have never seen such a poor customer service department. I am being as factual as possible but Geekstorage lost my site, hard drive was corrupt, then lost the back up to my site, accident happen but they didn't do anything to resolve the issue or provide compensation for a system that didn't work. I would say away from this hosting company.

Quote Originally Posted by npennington View Post
    I have used several hosting companies in the past, Site 5, Hostgator, etc. I have to say that I have never seen such a poor customer service department. I am being as factual as possible but Geekstorage lost my site, hard drive was corrupt, then lost the back up to my site, accident happen but they didn't do anything to resolve the issue or provide compensation for a system that didn't work. I would say away from this hosting company.
    Thanks for the review... haven't heard much of them lately, was wondering where they went...