Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by gbjbaanb
    do you have a /etc/yum.repos.d directory with .repo files in it, if so, check that they do not have the exclude=kernel directive in them too.

Then, instead of 'yum install', just type 'yum update' and see what happens. If still nothing, type 'yum info kernel' and paste in the results.
    Thanks, I checked the .repos file and there was nothing to show that the kernel was being excluded. Here's the results of my yum info kernel:

Available Packages
    Name : kernel
    Arch : i586
    Version: 2.6.9
    Release: 42.0.3.EL
    Size : 11 M
    Repo : update
    Summary: the linux kernel (the core of the linux operating system)
    Description:
    The kernel package contains the Linux kernel (vmlinuz), the core of any
    Linux operating system. The kernel handles the basic functions
    of the operating system: memory allocation, process allocation, device
    input and output, etc.

Among the installed kernels, this showed as Repo: Update

Chris,

Check your /etc/grub.conf file and make sure your default is set to the correct and current kernel image. (default 0 ) should be the latest.

2.6.9-42.0.3.ELsmp

After its set right, reboot the server and the new kernel should be active. It sounds like the new kernel was installed but wasn't put as first the grub boot loader or you ddin't reboot the machien after the update.

Can anyone offer any advice on troubleshooting/resolving kernel updates that fail to boot where I do not have KVM access and have a lackadaisical provider?

My current kernel is 2.6.18-53.el5PAE #1 SMP Mon Nov 12 02:55:09 EST 2007 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux running on CENTOS Enterprise 5.2 i686 on standard with the following hardware...

Intel Core2 Quad Q6600, 4gb RAM, 3Ware card running RAID 1

If I run yum update, the current update comes up as kernel-PAE-2.6.18-92.1.6.el5 and after running echo "savedefault --default=1 --once" | grub --batch followed by reboot, it falls back to the original kernel.

Running excludes until I come to no update available gives me the same results, i.e....

yum --exclude=kernel-PAE-2.6.18-92.1.6.el5 update
    yum --exclude=kernel-PAE-2.6.18-92.1.6.el5 --exclude=kernel-PAE-2.6.18-92.1.1.el5 update
    yum --exclude=kernel-PAE-2.6.18-92.1.6.el5 --exclude=kernel-PAE-2.6.18-92.1.1.el5 --exclude=kernel-PAE-2.6.18-92.el5 update

In other words, not even kernel-PAE-2.6.18-92.el5 will boot.

There are no kernel excludes in my yum.conf and nothing is written to /var/log/messages concerning the kernel reboots that fail.

Any advice is gratefully received.

i believe kernel-smp-2.6.9-42.EL.i686.rpm is for dual processor centos 4.3 compatible

Hello layer0,

Is it possible to upgrade kernel using yum and trigger the other and do same commands ? In case, I have more than 2 servers.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123