Will changing DNS zone set new host?

Hi

I registered a .training domain with Godaddy. Unfortunately their platform is not accepting me directing the domain to my hostgator hosting account. Tech support said something about some new domains requiring the IP address which doesn't work with their platform.

The tech support guy suggested as a work-around that I change the DNS zone record to the hostgator IP server address. I've done that but it's not working. It may have not propogated yet (I did it 6 hours ago, so I'd be surprised).

Does his work-around sound right? I haven't changed DNS zone records before.
    New Websites Web Design. Hosting. Marketing.
    ♥ Personal Support
    Fast Servers
    ►Best Backlink Services

Hello spydoo

Godaddy provide information on this process in their help desk. Personally I can not see why you would be required to change individual records, as Godaddy generally handle this for you through cPanel and other methods. To set the name servers you should follow the instructions here.

Also, please do note that it can take anywhere up to 48 hours for propagation to complete. You can use a service such as Robtex or even a basic whois search such as NameCheap's Whois Search to check that your Name Servers are up to date and propagated correctly.

Also, on a side note. The operator may be correct and Godaddy's system may not yet allow it to be done the normal way I honestly can't be sure as I don't use their services. However, if that is the case, Godaddy provide information on the manual setup of DNS Records here which hopefully will help. Also the Robtex link above will help with checking that the domain is pointing to the IP you have specified, as will a trace route from your computer.

Hopefully this answer helps out.
    Last edited by Chequer; 08-28-2014 at 02:05 AM. Reason: Add additional details

Quote Originally Posted by Chequer View Post
    Hello spydoo ...
    Hi Chequer. Thanks for the advice. I'll update this thread if the site doesn't resolve once I can be sure it should have propagated.
    New Websites Web Design. Hosting. Marketing.
    ♥ Personal Support
    Fast Servers
    ►Best Backlink Services