View Poll Results: Have you lost revenue/clients to better email hosting?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

4 23.53%
  • No

12 70.59%
  • Now that you mention it..

1 5.88%

Losing clients to better anti-virus/spam filtering

Have you lost clients (or revenue in general) due to lack of "good" anti-virus or spam filtering? By good, I mean in the client's eyes?

When I say lose clients, I don't neccessarily mean they left your company completely, however did they use outside mail servers and give revenue to a different company?

Wondering how many clients other hosts have who outsource their email for one reason or another..

Our spam filtering is strict, but not overly aggressive. We use mostly conservative DNSBLs (blocklists), and make a point of educating our clients about the problems involved in blocking more of it.

We also help our clients set up "Junk eMail (suspected)" folders that automatically move tagged eMails so they can quickly review for mistakes made by filters (and flag them as "not spam") before trashing all that is junk.

I think that there's a tendancy to lose those clients who haven't been made aware of the problem. It's also a tricky one because each eMail address gets a different amount of spam simply because spammers usually don't have a full collection of all the "ripped off" eMail addresses (spammers are well known for selling their lists of ripped off eMail addresses to other spammers as "opt-in databases" and they strive to mimic sales people in the fax numbers database industry).
    Randolf Richardson - randolf@inter-corporate.com
    Inter-Corporate Computer & Network Services, Inc.
    Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    http://www.inter-corporate.com/

Our customers have DNS control, but I haven't actually checked it lately. I know some of our clients are using Exchange at their office, but that switch is based on other grounds.

Well I currently have Spam Assassin, etc. with cPanel, but no client has ever seemed to worry about spam filtering.
    JetNet, LLC
    Fast, Reliable, Affordable
    Shared • Reseller • Dedicated
    http://www.jetnethost.com