Route Traffic with two Nics Win. Server 08

Hi all,

I am looking to run a dns server on my home server, running Windows Server 2008 with MS DNS. I want to have two NICs that are connected to my router (Apple Airport Extreme) with incoming traffic coming in on one and outgoing out on the other. Anyone attempt to do this, or even know how? I tried once before, but I was unable to figure this out. I tried connecting and assigning static LAN IPs within the network settings on the box but it said it couldn't due to it being on the same subnet. Any help with this is appreciated.

you can have the apple router running in bridged mode (i believe) and use your windows 2008 server as the gateway. all internal routing in your home network would be performed by your windows server , and any outbound/inbound connections would be transparently passed from your internet > apple airport > windows 2008

i believe bridging is one of two options in the airport configuration area.

I'm guessing you want to do this because you want to view/watch the traffic going across your network?

My friend has something similiar I think on what he does at home.

Basically he has a two PC's with 3 nic cards in each. Then he physically splits his internet connection from his modem into the 2 PC's. He gets the 4 wires for upstream and makes a connector that plugs into one PC and the other 4 wires makes another connector into another PC for the downstream.

Now nic number 2 of each PC, he has 4 wire cables coming out of each PC and rejoin and plugged into his network.

The 2 NIC's in each PC are bridged to make one card. Then the 3rd NIC in each PC, are assigned internal IP addresses, so he can connect to the PC and watch all traffic going in an out.

He was telling me all about this setup. It seems really cool.

Kind of, what i was really looking to do is have TCP go in for DNS in one NIC, then UDP go out the other. I heard about it and that it increases performance and reduces like packet collision or something, but yeah how do u set up what ur buddy was doing? that sounds neat.

What I said is basically in a nutshell.

Google passive network tap for more info. I did a quick search and found these. They may explain more about this. Its cool stuff

- http://thnetos.wordpress.com/2008/02...-home-network/

- http://www.janitha.com/archives/146

- http://www.altsec.info/passive-network-tap.html

thanks for the links, i am checkin them out now.

Myself too. I never made the time before to do it.
    I was just talking to my friend just now who has this setup, and he said his box has 7 NIC's it. 6 cards to make 3 bridged devices. One for his lan, one for WAN and one for wireless connections.

He is a security guy. I enjoy having talks with him.