Dentist in need of online billing and payment processing

So, I run a quaint little one-Dentist practice. Currently, we are billing our customers and they are sending payments via check. We do accept Visa, MC, Amex, etc at the office.

Oddly enough, I do have experience in networking and as a DBA. I've really been getting into technology as a hobby. Running virtual machines at home, file/print servers, and I've even been helping people get basic websites and blogs set up. My most recent endeavor was setting up a community forum and sharing site for my wife's hobby, and hosting it on Amazon AWS.

Anyway, I was intending on buying SaaS to allow customers to pay their bills on the internet but now I am wondering how feasible it would be for me to create my own and tailor it to fit my needs? I would also like to add an appointment calendar and maybe some other dynamic content as well.

Oh, and I'd like a payment gateway that can run cards as DEBIT, if possible.

So, any ideas?

You may be looking for the term "CRM". The payment side is easy, using something like Stripe but of course you need a system to encapsulate invoicing etc.

As a dentist you also may need to be aware compliance obligations too with customer data.
    hostingcove.com | Tennessee Based Hosting Provider.
    cPanel Shared & Reseller Hosting - Domain Names
    Join thousands of happy customers. Secure & Stable
    HeroicVPS Premium KVM VPS. Ashburn / Phoenix

In general, I think your preference should be for SaaS / hosted solutions.

If you do decide to build something, make sure you have a good understanding of the PCI compliance issues. You'd want to make sure that the payment processing integration you develop is as far "out of scope" as possible with respect to PCI. Let's consider the case of one popular gateaway: Authorize.net. Authorize.net supports a number of APIs such as AIM (Advanced Integration Method) and DPM (Direct Post Method). The AIM method puts your application squarely in PCI scope since payment information must pass through your server (even if you discard it almost immediately). The DPM method is a bit more PCI-friendly since sensitive card information is posted directly to Authorize.net (all while giving you quite a bit of control of the branding/look of payment pages). The API choice you make can have a big impact on your PCI compliance obligations.

If you can find a SaaS/hosted solution, you might potentially save yourself a lot of headaches assuming they've figured these issues out for you (you'll want to make sure of that during your selection process). There are of course other issues to consider as well. For example, a SaaS service will likely have the resources to enhance, support and maintain a service over time. So...unless your needs are really, really unique such that they can't be met with an existing third-party solution, I'd go with something that is already built and supported.

As for debit cards, any gateway should be able to run pinless debit card transactions.

What about using square?

they have entire ready to go systems for invoicing etc

https://squareup.com/professional-service

you can even handle the check or cash payments in square's system to keep accurate books and analysis.

Leave the pci and security mess to them, don't take the hassle yourself.

You might want to purchase a Clinic Management Software and there dentist customised apps too.

Alternatively, you can hire a developer to build your own custom software preferably storing data off site for more security.

get a database from any software house! they would make u your own database

XiNiX InfoTech Pvt. Ltd. [ USA - UK - NL - SG - IN ] : 15+ Years of Service ( Since 2005 )
    ♦ ♦ Super Special Offers
    Cloud Server Range in INDIA
    ( Budget / High RAM / Dedicated CPU ) > [ www.istack.in ]

What country would this be for? Basic requirement is the payment gateway and depending on the country you are in, it depends how easy it is for you to get an online payment gateway account.
    || Tecsys Solutions LLC | Outperforming the Performers!! ||
    || Outsourced Server Management and Technical Support Solutions ||
    || Now Offering Secure Managed VPS and Dedicated Servers specially setup for Hosting Providers ||
    || https://www.24x7TechnicalSupport.net || https://www.mxv.net ||

If you use quickbooks. They have a online invoice pay.