I'm currently a 1&1 customer whose hit the MySQL database size limit of 100MB and looking to transfer to a quality host. 1&1 has been fantastic in all regards (except accented support), but I don't want to upgrade to a VPS when I've been told that shared hosting will suffice. So, I've been browsing, reading the forums and checking reviews.
    Current Specs:
    ~100MB MySQL Database
    2GB in physical file storage
    20GB+ bandwidth
    Maximum of 40 users online at once (usually around ~20)
    From Google Analytics (for 1 month):
    11,918 Visits
    1,592 Absolute Unique Visitors
    202,419 Pageviews
    I'm looking for PHP5, MySQL5.0, no MySQL size limit and flexibility for CPU use at peak usage. I've been looking at HostGator & LiquidWeb. Liquidweb told me I'd need a VPS or low end dedicated server. Hostgator said there would be no problem unless my site became amazingly popular that it strained the server. I've heard good things about HostGator, but the unlimited diskspace/bandwidth always makes me leery as nothing is unlimited anymore.
    Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I'd recommend having a look at the following hosts:
    www.hawkhost.com (http://www.hawkhost.com)
    www.hostgator.com (http://www.hostgator.com)
    www.scarabweb.com (http://www.scarabweb.com)
    As for HostGator, they do oversell. However, their support is still wonderful and is 100x better than 1and1.

How much visitors do you get daily?

I'd recommend having a look at the following hosts:
    hawkhost.com
    hostgator.com
    scarabweb.com
    As for HostGator, they do oversell. However, their support is still wonderful and is 100x better than 1and1.
    Heard good things about Hawk Host, so I am looking at them. I read in another thread about MediaLayer's Application Hosting geared for PHP/MySQL applications. Although they provide far less in storage, I would hope that their oversell is greatly reduced.
    How much visitors do you get daily?
    For a peak day for October,
    826 Visits
    306 Absolute Unique Visitors
    13,590 Pageviews

I can't believe that a vBB with just 100MB DB and max 40 users can't be hosted on a shared.

I can't believe that a vBB with just 100MB DB and max 40 users can't be hosted on a shared.
    I too find that hard to believe considering the current forum is still online with 1&1 and I've never been sent any notices about server strain to date.

With those stats you should be fine in a shared host unless you have some kind of shoutbox.

With those stats you should be fine in a shared host unless you have some kind of shoutbox.
    That's what I figured. I've always avoided shoutboxes given their load. Our forum has favored IRC so they've never been a problem.

Yep.
    That should run fine on a shared host.
    Thanks

Your traffic is peanuts and it just sounds like you have a lot of content so your mysql database is large nothing more. So stick to shared hosting for now as 13,000 pageviews in a single day shouldn't be on the radar of any host as a big user.
    One solution though if you'd want to stick with 1and1 is if you have a lot of attachments make sure you're storing them on the file system and not in mysql. That's one reason I've seen relatively small forums have quite a large database.

Nickuk Guest
    Anything which is known,
    Has decent name, Which is reliable and has good rating.

nothing is unlimited anymore.
    Anymore?
    You should try optimizing vBulletin. When optimized, you should have no trouble running that on a shared plan.

MrGeneral Guest
    With that stats, every shared hosts should be able to suit your needs with no problem.
    However, like someone stated on this topic, your DB looks quite big for such forum statistics.
    Regards

With that stats, every shared hosts should be able to suit your needs with no problem.
    However, like someone stated on this topic, your DB looks quite big for such forum statistics.
    Regards
    Meh, I've seen forums with up to a GB of post data and even less visitors (okay so they did spam a lot )
    Shared should be fine unless the host runs the DB on the same server as the websites or is otherwise limited in DB space

MrGeneral Guest
    ;5378784']Meh, I've seen forums with up to a GB of post data and even less visitors (okay so they did spam a lot )
    Shared should be fine unless the host runs the DB on the same server as the websites or is otherwise limited in DB space
    Yep, me too , but stills .

Liquidweb told me I'd need a VPS or low end dedicated server. Looks to me like they recommended the things that they truly specialize in, so it isn't a total shock. It's a bit like going to a gun shop -- you're unlikely to be recommended a knife for self protection, even though they may sell such, and it can often enough do the job just fine.

Thanks for the responses
    Your traffic is peanuts and it just sounds like you have a lot of content so your mysql database is large nothing more. So stick to shared hosting for now as 13,000 pageviews in a single day shouldn't be on the radar of any host as a big user.
    One solution though if you'd want to stick with 1and1 is if you have a lot of attachments make sure you're storing them on the file system and not in mysql. That's one reason I've seen relatively small forums have quite a large database.
    I wish attachments were the problem, but they aren't. Attachments, avatars and photo galleries are all stored to the file system. The majority of the 100MB database is in 50MB of post data alone. They sure know how to spam. PM data is another ~10MB I believe.
    Anymore?
    You should try optimizing vBulletin. When optimized, you should have no trouble running that on a shared plan.
    Yes, I have done so (1&1 hasn't suspended me yet). I have two other vBs that reside on dedicated servers, so I knew going into the shared hosting that I'd need to reduce load as much as possible as to not be flagged & suspended. For this vB, I followed some of the optimization tips given at vBulletin Setup for load reduction.

Imperial Zealot (http://www.webhostingtalk.com/member.php?u=206575),
    Shared hosting would be just fine with your stats.
    You can find a handful of Shared Hosting companies offering more than 100MB on their plans.
    Perhaps your current company has an upgrade plan on just the Mysql DB quota?
    100MB seems to indicate a starter plan of some sort.
    Thanks

I can't believe you would need a VPS/Low End Dedi. You'll be fine with only 20~40 online/100MB MYSQL DB on a shared plan.

FS - Mike Guest
    For your forum, Shared hosting will be fine. If you go over around 50 concurrent users or start adding in lots of mods which access the database a lot you might need a VPS but until then, you should be fine going shared.
    I've heard mixed things about HG, although most of the things are positive but since I haven't been with them, I don't know personally. I quite like A Small Orange when I was with them however.
    What's your budget monthly for this forum? Are you looking for a cheap host or a higher priced host?
    Mike

I'm currently a 1&1 customer whose hit the MySQL database size limit of 100MB and looking to transfer to a quality host. 1&1 has been fantastic in all regards (except accented support), but I don't want to upgrade to a VPS when I've been told that shared hosting will suffice. So, I've been browsing, reading the forums and checking reviews.
    I'm looking for PHP5, MySQL5.0, no MySQL size limit and flexibility for CPU use at peak usage. I've been looking at HostGator & LiquidWeb. Liquidweb told me I'd need a VPS or low end dedicated server. Hostgator said there would be no problem unless my site became amazingly popular that it strained the server. I've heard good things about HostGator, but the unlimited diskspace/bandwidth always makes me leery as nothing is unlimited anymore.
    Any input would be greatly appreciated.
    Check out the people who claim that 1and1 stole their domain:
    Patterico.com (i.e., Patrick Frey. of the Los Angeles District Attorney's Office) and
    Kelli Jack, investigative reporter.

Not sure if its been tossed out there yet, but try checking our URLJet.com as well, they claim to be a strict vBulletin hosting provider

steadfast.net maybe?
    good reputation and litespeed webserver seems good to me

Thanks again for the replies. I've decided to give Hawk Host a shot and am planning to begin the transfer in a few hours. I'll report back in a few months maybe with a review. They had my account up in 30 minutes and so far, all their scripts appear to be the most current build which is good to see.
    Imperial Zealot (http://www.webhostingtalk.com/member.php?u=206575),
    Shared hosting would be just fine with your stats.
    You can find a handful of Shared Hosting companies offering more than 100MB on their plans.
    Perhaps your current company has an upgrade plan on just the Mysql DB quota?
    100MB seems to indicate a starter plan of some sort.
    Thanks
    I wish that were the case, but all of 1&1's shared hosting plans feature the 100MB MySQL database limit. The only way around this is to upgrade to the $30 VPS package, which I have no desire to do as it is unmanaged.
    Check out the people who claim that 1and1 stole their domain:
    Patterico.com (i.e., Patrick Frey. of the Los Angeles District Attorney's Office) and
    Kelli Jack, investigative reporter.
    I can see why people have claimed that. The policies on domains can be confusing if you aren't aware of them. Domains added to a packaged seem to be "locked" into that package (since 1&1 provides it as apart of the package), but a call to support can easily solve that. I haven't had any problems with them yet.

FS - Mike Guest
    Let us know how it goes, good luck with your community