Am I really on a 100 mbps port?

Hello,

I recently bought a server from ZipServers and am suppose to be on a 100mbps port, as I am paying for that. However, is there a way I can check to verfiy that this server really is running on a 100mbps port?

Kyle

Check the offers page, you will see some posts with a 100MB files, try those via wget and see what you're getting

If it's a linux server, you can just run "mii-tool" as root. If it's a Windows server, you can just use the network connections control panel at the LAN connection.

I think he was asking about the actual port capacity

I know the package I bought says I am on a 100mbps port, but I am wanting to verify this to make sure I am not getting robbed .

@ thanh,
    This is a linux server. How do I run this tool, "mii.tool" ? Sorry, I am very new to this dedicated server deal.

how I can check it on freebsd? only fecth?

@intr

I have no clue what you're talking about m8.

Quote Originally Posted by intr
    how I can check it on freebsd? only fecth?
    Yes, you can use ifconfig to verify.

under linux, you can type mii-diag - that will tell you what duplex and what type of ehternet/network connection (10, 100, 1000, etc). BUT that does NOT tell you if your hosting provider is using some sort of rate limiting to cap your actual speed.

The provider hooks you to a switch which can often be setup to limit port throughput to just 10mbit (even on a 100mbit wired conenction)- so the only test is to actuay upload/download some files and see. (ssh in, run wget, as stated above is a quick test, as would be just using ftp to a remote ftp site from the shell prompt). But in the end - your millage may vary based on potentially 'shared' bandwidth, you may get 10 mbit today, and tomorow only 3 mbit, and the next day 15 mbit.

So in the end, just ask your provider what they limit you to, and if its a 'shared' bandwidth .
    Colohouse | P: 877-539-4638 | E: hello@colohouse.com
    Dedicated Servers | Cloud VPS | Colocation | Web Hosting | Public & Private Cloud | IaaS & DRaaS
    Data Centers: New York | Chicago | Miami | Colorado | California | Amsterdam

You can try getting another dedi server or a comp with a really really good connection and try downloading a large file from your server to the comp. That would kind of test the upload.

If you can't tell whether or not you have a 100Megabit port, why did you order it?
    If you needed it, you'd be able to tell because of performance or similar issues...

mii-tool

Quote Originally Posted by xxkylexx
    I know the package I bought says I am on a 100mbps port, but I am wanting to verify this to make sure I am not getting robbed .

@ thanh,
    This is a linux server. How do I run this tool, "mii.tool" ? Sorry, I am very new to this dedicated server deal.
    Just type mii-tool and hit enter in SSH .

Though the looks of running mii-tool, it seems to be a 100mbit port. Thanks all.