.co.uk required? Or .com enough

Hi,

I have a .com domain, and wish to primarily trade in the UK (for now).

The .co.uk variant has been registered for the last 4 years, and does not appear to have been used at all (I'm in the process of trying to contact the individual that owns the .co.uk domain).

I am simply wondering if the .com will be enough to pick up UK searches for my area of work (audio, music), or if the .co.uk variant is critical to business, SEO etc?

Many thanks
      0 Not allowed!

Nothing beats a .com. If you can get the co.uk, great! If you can't, don't worry. The only problem I see is someone capitalizing on your popularity. With good seo, you can beat a co.uk with a com for search results
      0 Not allowed!

.co.uk domain will definitely help especially for Google UK but if it can't be arranged, its not a big deal. Just more SEO efforts would be required.
    Aniqa - Support Representative
    █ WooServers - Affordable, Fast & Reliable Servers
    █ 24/7/365 Premium Monitoring & Highly Qualified Staff!
    █ WooServers.com | cPanel Dedicated Server | European Dedicated Servers
      0 Not allowed!

Well as far as I known myself, domains with the extension .co.uk for the UK will get better results than a .com. Just depends on what you want in the searches.
      0 Not allowed!

As far as I know that is very very important when you are targeted on local search and local marked.
    But what I see last time is a mixture of CCTLD domain names and TLD domain names in SERP. So I'm sure that is much more important to have content optimized and good backlinks.
      0 Not allowed!

usually .co.uk and .com do have their own advantages toward SEO.
    If you target market is only in UK then it better to get .co.uk because it will in seo in local search engine. If .com is mostly target in global, which in search engine, you may have more competitors from global to compare with .
      0 Not allowed!

.com is enough, you can use geotargeting from webmaster tools to set country your website is targeting
      0 Not allowed!

.co.uk will be better for yourself and the brand if you plan on trading in the UK originally.
      0 Not allowed!

Thanks very much for all the info guys - will refer back to this later. .

Am going ahead with what I have for now, but will be looking into SEO for best results.
      0 Not allowed!

As others have said, having a .co.uk domain will really help your ranking on google.co.uk

It's also a good idea to get it to help secure your brand and corporate identity.
      0 Not allowed!

having .co.uk will be helpful but if somehow it could not be arranged then you do not need to worry you can work without it and take back links from co.uk websites. Then you can get ranking in co.uk
      0 Not allowed!

More great info - thanks guys!
      0 Not allowed!

If you are focusing only local business based on UK then .co.uk domain is enough need to register .com domain because search engine given more priority for local search as locally owned domain.
      0 Not allowed!

14.   0 Not allowed!

Its depends on your targeted country, if you have targeted UK then its not necessary that you have .co.uk domain, you can get good ranking in UK with .com with strong back links from .co.uk sites.
      0 Not allowed!

i'd take both just to protect the trademark. also, if you move to global market later, .com will be handy.
    less is more
      0 Not allowed!