Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

BurstNET or someone else?

Hello,

I've been looking at buying another VPS as the company I am with atm seem a little unreliable.

I am looking for a cheap, unmanaged VPS solution with OpenVZ, CentOS and cPanel. I would need at least 512MB RAM and everything else just best value for money really.

I noticed BurstNET provide some very low priced services but all I can seem to find are bad reviews, I do know though that people with bad experiences are more likely to post reviews.
    So, are BurstNET really that bad? and what other provides are there that I could rely on?

Thanks,
    Glenn

If you want reliable vps, then don't based your price with unreliable price. Increase your budget and plan...

I agree with Net.

But check the offers section, or the find-a-host feature and then find one that suits your needs, requirements then search for that host for the reviews, and peoples uses!

Hope you find your new host, There's plenty of providers that would be great for you.

I personally know BurstNET is not a bad company, they're one of the oldest, and one of the highest in services and offers, I personally enjoy working with BurstNET, but like any company, you can't please everyone. You just cant, It's the market.

BurstNet is a reliable company with me, and has a good datacenter! They handle everything them selfs, and are privately owned.

If you change your budget, VPSLatch includes cPanel with all plans and they're managed in there offers posted here they got prices around 18.95-25$/month!
    FusionNET Solutions
    OpenVZ & XEN VPS available in US & UK.
    IRC & Adult Allowed, RDNS Control, 24/7 Helpdesk, VPN Ready, Native IPv6 Ready!

Sadly unless you raise your budget I think you'll have to open a new thread sooner than later. It sounds like you value stability, in that case the extra $10-20/month will go a long way.
    Jean-Pierre Abboud / I'm the TekGURU
    www.Gotekky.com / Managed hosting solutions / AS63447
    Web Hosting, VPS Hosting, Dedicated Servers

Everybody knows you get what you pay for but its only for personal use, development and hosting a few small sites for friends, nothing critical.

Quote Originally Posted by glendo View Post
    Everybody knows you get what you pay for but its only for personal use, development and hosting a few small sites for friends, nothing critical.
    I would look past the bad reviews, budget clients are known to be very demanding. I have dealt with Burst and I think they're doing a good job when you look at the big picture.

It probably also helps to reflect upon your reliability tolerance to make a better assessment of what's a good value. Since you've already decided to handle the internal management youself, what level of response time are you looking from the provider when it comes down to fixing node problems?

I know we all want 100% uptime, but for a lot of providers in the arena Burst plays in, they just don't have either the extra staff or hardware on-hand to realistically fix all issues immediately and you may have to wait a day or two for things to get resolved. Is that good enough for you?

Don't make the same mistake as those posting the bad reviews and choose a price-level you're not realistically comfortable with.

I would choose someone other than Burst for VPS hosting. They don't use particularly good (or reliable) hardware in their nodes, and I've seen more than a few negative reviews of their VPS network and resource availability (something I've noticed myself). You shouldn't have a problem finding a reliable OpenVZ host in your budget.

If someone in the budget arena can pull it off it's Burst, they run their own DC and control costs from A to Z.

Sure there are hiccups but at that price can you really complain ?

for burstnet, you can try for one month first .. but, don't for annually because burstnet never provide refud policy or you can lost a lot of your money

Quote Originally Posted by telvps View Post
    I would choose someone other than Burst for VPS hosting. They don't use particularly good (or reliable) hardware in their nodes, and I've seen more than a few negative reviews of their VPS network and resource availability (something I've noticed myself). You shouldn't have a problem finding a reliable OpenVZ host in your budget.
    So are you basing this view on direct experience? If so then fine but you look like a competitor to Burst who seems to have a view on their hardware quality based on hearsay?
    How do you know what hardware they're using?
    I've got two VPS with Burst, one in Scranton, one in Manchester. Both are just fine and dandy!

I have used BurstNET before, great value for the money and I never had any downtime.

Even with having cPanel with your VPS your going to need to up your budget and having a stable / not laggy server your going to need something decent with some ram, and a decent size disk.

You could find a great provider for around 20-30$/month with managed support, and cPanel like with VPSlatch I was viewing the offers section and seen they have a promotion going on for a VPS that fits your 512 needs (but they also double the ram if you sign up before a date) so you would have 1024 for the price of 512, and its only ~19.00$ i believe.

Bes to luck,
    Update us when you find a provider, and then continue to let us know how your exp. is with them!
    FusionNET Solutions
    OpenVZ & XEN VPS available in US & UK.
    IRC & Adult Allowed, RDNS Control, 24/7 Helpdesk, VPN Ready, Native IPv6 Ready!

I've been using BurstNet for a while on my 3rd sandbox VPS. It has uptime of 93 days although nothing critical runs on it.

Quote Originally Posted by galuh82 View Post
    for burstnet, you can try for one month first .. but, don't for annually because burstnet never provide refud policy or you can lost a lot of your money
    We have been in business nearly 20 years, if people pay annually, they will get annual service. We're not doing to disappear next month, after being in business nearly 20 years. The only question is if the service works for your application. After testing for a month on that front, paying annually is a non-issue. We are even kind enough to let you switch your annual payment remaining to other services if you need to upgrade usually...
    SmartHost™ - Intelligent Hosting! - Multiple Locations - US/EU! - Ultra-Fast NVME SSD VPS!
    http://www.smarthost.net - sales@smarthost.net - Resale/Affiliate Programs
    Cloud Hosting - VPS Hosting - Dedicated Servers - Colocation - Flux Capacitors

Quote Originally Posted by telvps View Post
    "seeing" negative reviews is not something you should be posting on at WHT...that is 3rd party information, and against the rules here. Read the whole reviews, not just the subject, as you'll find most of the time the client is at fault for trying to run his $5 VPS as if it were a $100 Dedicated Server.

You obviously have zero real knowledge of our operations, otherwise you would know that for the past year all of our nodes installed have been high-end Dell Dual Quad Core E5620 systems, not low end whiteboxes. Prior to that we utilized single Quad Core Supermicro systems. Do you want to go on record saying Dell servers are not good?
    SmartHost™ - Intelligent Hosting! - Multiple Locations - US/EU! - Ultra-Fast NVME SSD VPS!

If you have a friend who uses Burst then you should check with them. Talk with many people who use it. There is no return policy.

I do find the above post surprising. I wouldn't expect an employee to be that disrespectful.
    Last edited by xNaota; 02-28-2011 at 05:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by xNaota View Post
    If you have a friend who uses Burst then you should check with them. Talk with many people who use it. There is no return policy.

I do find the above post surprising. I wouldn't expect an employee to be that disrespectful.
    There is nothing disrespectful about that post at all.
    The only one being disrespectful was the person that posted false information, and violated WHT rules. We have every right to correct that misinformation, and call him out on his nonsense.

When is Burst support actually around?

I have waited for the Live Support to sign on all day and nobody did. I have emailed every relevant email address listed in the support area and have opened up tickets. I even called the phone line and nobody answered.

It feels as if Burst support is more existent here rather than on the actual Burst site or phone.

Can I please get some support? I haven't even been able to get on the VPS because of the below:

It would appear their checkout system is broken. It automatically switches you from annual to monthly without notice so you'll be stuck in the same situation as me. I used discount code LAVPS25 if that makes any difference. I know it works for both annual and monthly though.

Does LAVPS25 make all monthly bills discounted if you pay per month rather than annually or will it just discount the first month? I would rather pay month-to-month than be locked in for a year if there's a possibility of no support again.

Also, I hope you guys don't find this off topic. The OP was curious about Burst and I figure since this is Burst related it might be relevant enough for this thread.

Also, for those who don't know, the code LAVPS25 gets you 25% off VPS's in the California location.
    Last edited by DarkKnightH20; 02-28-2011 at 06:08 PM.

Issue resolved. Please ignore.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkKnightH20 View Post
    Issue resolved. Please ignore.
    who's issues was it yours or Burst?

When is Burst support actually around?

I have waited for the Live Support to sign on all day and nobody did. I have emailed every relevant email address listed in the support area and have opened up tickets. I even called the phone line and nobody answered. It feels as if Burst support is more existent here rather than on the actual Burst site or phone.

That is because we don't provide live support!

Our live chat on our website is for sale purposes only, and is only staffed during heavy traffic times of initial releases of major sales or announcements currently.

Quote Originally Posted by kipper01 View Post
    who's issues was it yours or Burst?
    Their fault. Their buggy checkout script changes the billing cycle (from annual to monthly for me). My friend, who registered around the same time as me, had experienced the same problem.

Quote Originally Posted by BurstNET View Post
    That is because we don't provide live support!

Our live chat on our website is for sale purposes only, and is only staffed during heavy traffic times of initial releases of major sales or announcements currently.
    Ok. Where is that live chat info stated on the site? I do not see it listed anywhere, but if I missed it I'd love to see the page that states that information (the hours and what it can be used for). It's simply listed as "live sales" -- and I would think my issue was sales related. But if we drop that then:

1) E-Mail Support - no response
    2) Ticket Support - got a response after awhile during off hours
    3) Phone Support - Nobody answered during normal hours. Period.

I even checked the AIM screen name every now and then. Yes, I know that the AIM name isn't used for such things. I'm just acknowledging that it wasn't on.

It eventually got taken care of, but after business hours.

----

Some things I acknowledge:
    1) Tickets are on a first come, first served basis
    2) E-Mails are probably on a first come basis as well
    3) Sometimes hosting companies are busier than usual and such a thing as "bad timing" does exist
    4) That I am a new customer and as such this is the first contact ever made so I do not know if this is a regular or irregular occurrence for Burst
    5) It wasn't days waiting, pretty much 24 hours (in this case the situation was urgent though)

And that's that. Whether or not the support will be more prompt in the future is only something time will tell.
    Last edited by DarkKnightH20; 02-28-2011 at 11:33 PM.

Their fault. Their buggy checkout script changes the billing cycle (from annual to monthly for me). My friend, who registered around the same time as me, had experienced the same problem.
    We use WHMCS on the frontend...so if you have a problem with our ordering system, then you have a problem with the majority of hosts in the industry, as these days the majority of the industry is using the same ordering system we are...

Never heard of this issue before regardless, so may be an issue on your end.

Ok. Where is that live chat info stated on the site? I do not see it listed anywhere, but if I missed it I'd love to see the page that states that information (the hours and what it can be used for).
    Right on our contact page, it does not list that as an available contact method. It is for our usage when we so desire, not for the client's usage.

1) E-Mail Support - no response
    2) Ticket Support - got a response after awhile during off hours
    Interesting, seeing that our email and support ticket system is one and the same. If you email us, it goes into our support ticket system. Of course you did not get a response from email directly, as we don't receive it that way. And if you received a response from us by ticket, then that could have very well been your email piped to the ticket system we responded to. If you are saying you received no email from us at all, and only see a response in the ticket system---well, you or your provider have an email problem then---a commonly seen issue from free email providers such as @yahoo.com---and your issue, not ours.

3) Phone Support - Nobody answered during normal hours. Period.
    Phone support is for emergencies and reboots only, unless paying for full management. And yes, we do answer our phones, though there are times with minimal staff available and they may all be out in the server rooms at the moment. We have voicemail for such occasions, and we do return contact if issue not already resolved.

I even checked the AIM screen name every now and then. Yes, I know that the AIM name isn't used for such things. I'm just acknowledging that it wasn't on.
    Our AIM screen name is on most of the time, but we do have shift changes and things like that. Not really a method for support, as we cannot staff it with multiple employees, etc....but a quick question is fine on there.

It eventually got taken care of, but after business hours.
    Unless you are referring to sales/custserv/billing depts, which are only open 9AM-5PM EST, then we have no "after business hours". We are a 24/7/365 operation for tech support, and time of day makes no difference...we answer all support inquiries within reasonable timeframes. We are a budget provider however, so don't expect instantaneous response, although sometimes you will be surprised how quickly we respond, but that does not mean that occasional 24 hours wait times don't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by BurstNET View Post
    We use WHMCS on the frontend...so if you have a problem with our ordering system, then you have a problem with the majority of hosts in the industry, as these days the majority of the industry is using the same ordering system we are...

Never heard of this issue before regardless, so may be an issue on your end.
    As stated previously I am not the only person who had this problem. I am on Windows while the other person I referred to was on a Mac. I was using Google Chrome, while I am unsure what the other person was using. I don't deem it a coincidence. As I mentioned before, a promo code was used. If any attempt to replicate this is made, then I suggest using the promo code and also going through to the very end as annual to see if it gets switched to a monthly billing cycle. It may very well be that the promo code switches the cycle to monthly rather than keeping it as what it was previously.

Right on our contact page, it does not list that as an available contact method. It is for our usage when we so desire, not for the client's usage.
    How very misleading. In other words, the lack of information about the "live chat" IS the information about it not being a method of contact. Doesn't make sense to me, but okay. That should probably be clarified somewhere on there, but it's unimportant.

Interesting, seeing that our email and support ticket system is one and the same. If you email us, it goes into our support ticket system. Of course you did not get a response from email directly, as we don't receive it that way. And if you received a response from us by ticket, then that could have very well been your email piped to the ticket system we responded to. If you are saying you received no email from us at all, and only see a response in the ticket system---well, you or your provider have an email problem then---a commonly seen issue from free email providers such as @yahoo.com---and your issue, not ours.
    Honestly I don't see your point here. That is irrelevant. It just means that I submitted multiple tickets instead of one since I emailed AND manually submitted a ticket since emails are apparently treated as tickets. That doesn't change the fact that a response was not given for a good while. As for email problems, no, none exist. This has absolutely nothing to do with the issue at hand. I received the automated emails that are sent when (A) a ticket is made (B) a ticket is responded to. The issue has to do with lack of response during business hours.

Phone support is for emergencies and reboots only, unless paying for full management. And yes, we do answer our phones, though there are times with minimal staff available and they may all be out in the server rooms at the moment. We have voicemail for such occasions, and we do return contact if issue not already resolved.
    PHONE SUPPORT
    24/7/365 (Reboots/Emergency ONLY)
    Toll Free - 1-877-BURSTNET

MON-FRI 9AM-5PM EST (Sales/Billing/C.S.)
    Local/Intl. - 570-343-2200

Billing/Sales/C.S. That's more than a reboot...

Our AIM screen name is on most of the time, but we do have shift changes and things like that. Not really a method for support, as we cannot staff it with multiple employees, etc....but a quick question is fine on there.
    Gotcha. As I said, I know that the AIM name isn't used for such things.

Unless you are referring to sales/custserv/billing depts, which are only open 9AM-5PM EST, then we have no "after business hours".
    I am.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast