Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I don't find a point in reseller hosting!!!!!! :---

I don't think it is necessary to purchase reseller hosting package because it's a waste of money for what many reseller hosting service providers provide You can just purchase a small vps with more flexibility and provide your clients a more personalized experience by customizing the control panel that you install on it. Also, if a contradicting my opinion by saying I can get a free billing system!! Well if you a are serious about starting a web hosting business you wouldn't mind investing a little under $500 for the vps hosting for the many shared hosting service and the billing system!!!!!!!

There's nothing wrong with your opinion. There's also nothing wrong with starting small and scaling up as demand increases. You don't start your car in 5th gear, do you? A lot of designers / developers also like reseller packages (especially with end user support) because they can then offer "free" hosting to their clients.
    The world would be a better place if people drank better coffee.

true, but I just hate the notion of reseller hosting; I think its for nooobs who don't know what they are trying to do!!!

Quote Originally Posted by preddy View Post
    true, but I just hate the notion of reseller hosting; I think its for nooobs who don't know what they are trying to do!!!
    On the contrary, it's for sensible people.

More control != a better host

These days VPS's are so cheap, you can easily go get one for the price of a reseller. Until the time comes when you realise you need to actually manage this server, when security issues crop up, when you need apply software patches, when you need patch kernel exploits, when you need to worry about resource allocation and so much more.

Just because you can afford to buy a VPS, doesn't mean you should. If you can afford to buy a car but don't know how to drive, doesn't mean you should.

We're seeing a growing trend of people downgrading from dedicated servers, from VPS's onto reseller accounts. You outsource the headaches to the provider and so long as that provider is a decent provider that knows what they're doing, your services as a reseller can do far better than a VPS.

A reseller account doesn't make you any less of a host than someone on a dedicated server. There is a misconception that you need to have your own servers to be a host, you don't. You can do just fine and be just as successful operating from reseller accounts. They are different platforms designed to cater for a certain type of customer.
    Last edited by rv_irl; 02-16-2012 at 01:54 PM.

I've always considered "reseller" hosting to simply be multi-domain hosting with the option to have individual panel logins for secondary users. Those secondary users may be clients, or they may be friends and family. Reseller hosting still does not give access to perform simple tasks like migration or tweaks for users, so you're not a real host.

I have a couple of reseller accounts with excellent hosts, because I don't really want to maintain beefy cPanel VPS/dedicated boxes in USA. Reseller hosting does what I need for USA hosting. I prefer my meaty servers be in Amsterdam or UK.

"Real" hosts own dedicated servers that they colo.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

Quote Originally Posted by kpmedia View Post
    Wrong. "Real" hosts use their own datacenters with their own fiber. See Google.

Arguing about what constitutes a "real" host is a pretty senseless (if not amusing) debate, since anyone can slide the scale anywhere they want. The important factor is to remember that from your average customer's perspective, a "real" host is defined by whether or not the customer's website works well. Your average paying customer doesn't care about datacenters or processor class or SAS vs SATA, they just want it to work.

To that end, it makes perfect sense for some startup hosts to use reseller plans. It's gives them the opportunity to minimize their operating overhead at first, and then expand as they grow.

I don't care if you are a reseller or not as long as you provide good service. People prefer that you use a Dedicated Server instead of a vps for Reseller Hosting for better uptime but some vps can be better than Dedicated Servers. You just have to get the right vps provider. People don't like vps as much either for Reseller Hosting for some reason. Probably because they think that Dedicated Servers provide better uptime.

It is best to start with reseller before jumping into vps or dedi for those who are not yet familiar with the tweaks and tricks with whm/cpanel..

The reseller hosting market has had comparisons with VPS since day one.

Here's the key point: VPS is, in effect, a scaled down dedicated server. It is not, and never will be, a competitive alternative to reseller hosting, in its truest form.

Reseller hosting, by very definition, is meant to enable the end user to reseller services without having to do all the grunt work. A good reseller hosting provider will provide such a smooth environment (not just space and bandwidth) that the line between reseller and provider becomes blurry. That enivironment includes tools to help you build your business; domain accounts, advanced support, business training/assistance/advice, end user support, etc.

One post in this topic said reseller hosting is merely multi-domain hosting with separate logins. That is a common misconception about the reseller hosting market, caused by some reseller hosting "providers" marketing them as such.

There are actually very few genuine reseller hosting companies out there, believe it or not.

If the head of a new company with a small budget and a single-man staff roster wanted to genuinely get a good start for his/her business, I'd advise them to research very carefully, and choose the best reseller hosting provider available. That would be one that does not just say "here's some disk space, bandwidth, and a control panel license".

Simon

I use reseller hosting for hosting my own sites under their own control panel, not for reselling to others. It's better than hosting all your websites and all your family, friends, and neighbors websites under a single cPanel account.
    Hosting is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.

Quote Originally Posted by floor9 View Post
    There's nothing wrong with your opinion. There's also nothing wrong with starting small and scaling up as demand increases. You don't start your car in 5th gear, do you? A lot of designers / developers also like reseller packages (especially with end user support) because they can then offer "free" hosting to their clients.
    What he said. I do freelance web design on the side and being able to offer free hosting is a big plus..

I'd say "real" hosts have ROOT access to their dedicated servers (leased or colo). With ROOT access the host can install/update software, edit DNS zones, check logs, migrate accounts, etc.

You can't do that when you have no ROOT access.
    HostXNow - Shared Web Hosting | Semi Dedicated Hosting | Enterprise Reseller Hosting | VPS Hosting

Quote Originally Posted by HostXNow View Post
    I'd say "real" hosts have ROOT access to their dedicated servers (leased or colo). With ROOT access the host can install/update software, edit DNS zones, check logs, migrate accounts, etc. You can't do that when you have no ROOT access.
    I definitely accept this amendment.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

Quote Originally Posted by preddy View Post
    I don't think it is necessary to purchase reseller hosting package because it's a waste of money for what many reseller hosting service providers provide You can just purchase a small vps with more flexibility and provide your clients a more personalized experience by customizing the control panel that you install on it. Also, if a contradicting my opinion by saying I can get a free billing system!! Well if you a are serious about starting a web hosting business you wouldn't mind investing a little under $500 for the vps hosting for the many shared hosting service and the billing system!!!!!!!
    well my friend, not everybody think $500 is reasonable start for doing this business. And not everybody can handle a VPS by himself, that is why lot of people out there being a reseller.

Quote Originally Posted by dhchost View Post
    well my friend, not everybody think $500 is reasonable start for doing this business.
    Then they probably shouldn't be in business.
    In terms of business startup capital, $500 is a drop in the bucket -- pocket change -- pennies.
    || Need a good host?
    ||

Quote Originally Posted by dhchost View Post
    well my friend, not everybody think $500 is reasonable start for doing this business. And not everybody can handle a VPS by himself, that is why lot of people out there being a reseller.
    This is true. If it wasn't there wouldn't be so many cheap reseller plans. The hosting side is the cheapest part of starting up. Better to spend $5 on the reseller plan and $455 on other expenses such as marketing, phone bill, etc
    Last edited by Collabora; 02-17-2012 at 09:47 PM.
    Collabora Hosting - Unlimited Windows and Linux Hosting
    Web Security - VPS - Dedicated Servers
    Cloud and Managed WordPress Hosting
    Read how we do Unlimited Hosting at the Unlimited FAQ

Hmm i do kind of agree but at same time i disagree. You should only go out and buy a vps if you know you can afford next 3 months atleast. it's best to pay a year upfront.

What you have to think of the going goings

VPS: Decent vps $10
    control panel: likely cpanel so $15
    billing system: likely whmcs so thats anther $15

So that comes to $40 each month and that can be high for people that are starting up. When it would cost about $20 a month

You think a "decent" VPS costs only $10?
    || Need a good host?
    ||

You think a "decent" VPS costs only $10?
    Depends on the specs and what provider

But I wouldnt put cPanel onto a $10 VPS thats for sure...
    UK Based Proactive Server Management.
    Zabbix Enterprise 24/7 Monitoring.

But if you want to start you small hosting company, a $10 VPS will do you no favor

In most cases I would have to say a reseller plan, even cheaper than $10 will be better than a $10 VPS..

Quote Originally Posted by cd/home View Post
    But I wouldnt put cPanel onto a $10 VPS thats for sure...
    I wouldn't put CUSTOMERS on a $10 VPS.

Quote Originally Posted by HostXNow View Post
    I'd say "real" hosts have ROOT access to their dedicated servers (leased or colo). With ROOT access the host can install/update software, edit DNS zones, check logs, migrate accounts, etc.

You can't do that when you have no ROOT access.
    As someone else mentioned a "real" host can be defined as anything. Having root access doesn't mean anything if you don't know how to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by RRolfe View Post
    Having root access doesn't mean anything if you don't know how to use it.
    Not knowing how to use a server still qualifies as "not a real host".
    || Need a good host?
    ||

I'm sorry to disagree with some people here, but I don't believe a "real" or "good" host is the one who has root access to their machines or not, I'd believe a real host is the one who makes his customers feel happy, care about their customers concerns, listen to their suggestion, provides good and high quality support and knows well how to manage the environment... and to be honest, you certainly don't need root access to accomplish that...
    Whitesystem.NET, LLC. root [at] whitesystem.net
    Pure SSD cPanel-based Cloud Shared, Reseller Hosting.
    LiteSpeedTruly low Populated Servers10 Years Hosting Experience
    Fast and Friendly multilingual (Spanish and English) Support www.whitesystem.net

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast