Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs down Don't Risk your business with Turnkey internet!!! Security risks and terrible service

I will be providing email copies to anyone that requests directly. (About the security breach and data privacy breach this company PROVIDED to a client).

AGAIN PLEASE KEEP IN MIND I HAVE TRANSCRIPTS OS EVERYTHING LISTED BELOW. I CAN PROVE THIS ALL HAPPENED. SO PENDING TURNKEY'S RESPONSE IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE ME JUST EMAIL ME AND I WILL SHOW YOU.

Don't get burned by these guys!

A brief overview and for the customer knowledge currently using turnkey internet I'm letting you know what I recently encounter with their company.

On the 16th of Jan. (Late at night) I setup an account with this company and was expected to cancel my prior host in order to receive double space and bandwidth with there company. With-in 10 minutes of setting up the account a promotion was displayed on their website for an additional 20% off for new customers. I spoke with a rep over the phone on the 17th since a sales rep online claimed they won't honor that promotion for me as apparently less than an honor prior to that I wasn't eligible for the promotion.

When I spoke to the rep over the phone they informed me that they would in fact honor the current promotion and give me the 20% off and double my disk space and bandwidth. Well this apparently didn't sit well with the online rep since I went around him to have the issue resolved. He began using crude statements and in the end basically challenged my intelligence saying and I quote: "but you are unwilling or unable to grasp the concept of a timed limited promotion." Do to me going around him and challenging my right to receive a simple 20% promotion they terminated my account; all backups (which they claim they never had); and all of my clients information.

Now keep in mind that Turnkey did this after enticing me to there service but requiring me to terminate with my prior hosting. There for now I've lost all of my data and clients have lost much of theirs as well... Putting me in a majorly bad situation.

There are more details and I'm sure Turnkey will attempt to say that I was impolite or something along those lines. HOWEVER; prior to them attempting to delete all service/support tickets I made with them, (which they are deleted from what I can see now), I was able to print off copies of every conversation. I not only didn't swear in any conversation, I apologized in my last message to them if I was ever blunt, rude sounding, or anything else. Their response when I asked them why was my account terminated since I didn't request it to be was, and I quote, "Your account was terminated because you were not willing to take no for an answer. We tried to make you understand our position and you refused to accept that and we decided that we did not want your business. There are no backups."

Keep in mind that was after I was told over the phone to write a message from a rep of their to their owner to explain my situation. When I did write that message the owner didn't respond or close the account. One of the reps that was apparently upset that I went to some other then him responded and closed the account without approval or permission.

AS FOR THE CUSTOMER DATA PRIVACY VIOLATION:

If you are on Turnkeys servers and host on the ns24. (ip should be: 173.233.68.88)

Please keep in mind this company without my request migrated me to their servers with full root access exposing me to everyones files and emails. I did not mis-use this as I've always run an honest business. In turn I contacted their support team immedately who at first told me that nothing was even wrong. I had to take a screenshot of the entire server and submit it to there support team before they even believed me that there was a problem. If an indivudal with less morals had access to this like I was given by the company all information could have been wiped, stolen, or mishandled severally.

I would highly recommend seeking hosting elsewhere; I my opinion these are very shady unethical individuals from the experience I underwent.

I DO have copies of all transcripts and even proof of the security breech that they allowed to occur. Due to legal reasons I can not and will not provide the screen shot of the security breech to anyone except my lawyer; However if you are on that server you may contact me and I will provide you with the information needed in order to determine if you need to seek legal consoling for this situation as well.

I do have copies of all the support transcripts and will provide copies WITHOUT the reps names should you request as proof of these events.

I have opened a case with the Better Business Bureau about this companies actions and the massive violations I found within the BBB's policy.

-Scott
      0 Not allowed!

I forgot to mentions that the server with the security risk housed more then 1500 accounts. This is something you as a consumer should be made aware of before making a terrible mistake and go with turnkey.
      0 Not allowed!

I would like to hear TurnKey's side of the story, though I must admit, this is quite big!
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by royalduke View Post
    I would like to hear TurnKey's side of the story, though I must admit, this is quite big!
    I will be happy to provide proof with their side clearly in writing to you royalduke. As I have copies of the support tickets. I don't want them to attempt to spin this any other way then what it was!

Of course I respect you curiosity to hear what they have to say. And believe me I'm very curious of their response as well!

-Scott
      0 Not allowed!

Scott, sorry to hear your frustrations, but you have clearly attempted to hide the real facts here and have gone well over the top with your outrageous comments.

The bottom line is you repeatedly harassed both verbally and in written form several different members of our staff over demands to receive an additional discount that was not available at the time you signed up (you claimed such promotions changed 10 minutes after you subscribed, but it was not until multiple days later and you apparently changed that detail in your post here):

http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/7043/scottpost.gif

You even stated at that point you thought our support was fantastic, and you were happy with the service.

This all boiled down to you unhappy you were not able to get additional discounts added on top of the promotional plan you signed up for. Our staff even did everything they could to find a middle ground and put the double promotion add on for you account on top of everything, and still you continued to call repeatedly (speaking to 3 different people demanding a different answer each time until you could find one sales person who would say something different than the last 2 you spoke with to try to get an extra promotional deal).

There is nothing wrong with asking for something, and even asking a few extra times, but you verbally assaulted our staff harassing them repeatedly.

You were given both a verbal (via recorded phone conversation) and WRITTEN warning that you were in serious breach of our terms of service due to repeatedly harassing our staff (being rude, degrading, and harassing are all violations of our terms of service you agreed to when you signed up which can lead to account termination without warning). While we are not required to give you a warning prior to taking action in such cases, we gave you 2 warnings (one verbally via the taped recording, and another in writing) and yet you continued on until our manager had to resolve the situation later in the day for the safety and well being of our employees.

This is not something we take lightly, but we take the safety and health of our employees very seriously - and in cases like this its unfortunate you did not accept the multiple warnings you were given in advance.

Here are the screen shots for those replies:

The written warning

http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/5148/reply1.gif

The final decision
    http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/8449/reply2.gif

There were quite a few emails/tickets/live chats and a half dozen phone calls recorded on all this - and I have to say I am personally taken a back on this one, as I have never seen someone act like this who was as happy with our service to turn and then go off the handle like that.

At the end of the day, clearly there was not a good fit here, and your 2 to 3 day total span with our company was met with nothing but our team bending over backwards, professionalism, and out and out kindness to assist you along the way.
    Colohouse | P: 877-539-4638 | E: hello@colohouse.com
    Dedicated Servers | Cloud VPS | Colocation | Web Hosting | Public & Private Cloud | IaaS & DRaaS
    Data Centers: New York | Chicago | Miami | Colorado | California | Amsterdam
      1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by sd-designs View Post
    I DO have copies of all transcripts and even proof of the security breech that they allowed to occur. Due to legal reasons I can not and will not provide the screen shot of the security breech to anyone except my lawyer; However if you are on that server you may contact me and I will provide you with the information needed in order to determine if you need to seek legal consoling for this situation as well.
    Sounds suspicious at best. Are you sure you can actually view files and you're not just seeing a directory listing of usernames that you technically cannot even access? How do you know you had root access? We once had a customer who uploaded a PHP shell and just because they could see usernames and the file system structure they thought they magically had access to everything, lol. :]
      0 Not allowed!

Patrick; believe me I know it sounds crazy. I've done website design for 8 years and hosting nearly as long. I've had dedicated and vps servers so I def know what root access looks like and when I have it. But I can post their service teamns response without sending the screen shot of everyones profiles and emails which I did have acess to.

Their tech actual fully admitted they gave me this access; although by mistake it is still a major issue.

As for the responce to turnkey above this I will be home ina few hours. It was rather cute of them to attempt to show screen shots of things I said like my account being 2-3 days old; yet convienantly leaving out my next message(s) where I correct that stantment. I have a copy of my phone bill and also can show I only called them twice not half a dozen times. But I will provide that when I get home not on my phone.

Best of all the attempt to say I harrassed their staff made me litterally laugh as the ONLY even questionable comment I made was that I would open a case with the BBB if they refuse to honor things they promote to clients (I have this transcript to).

For those that don't know the BBB is an optional org. That u may join to help show a good standing company. If someone says they are going to report actions they think are questionable that isn't a threat since that is what they are there for. But I assume turnkey knows that already since they are a member. Simply enough their rep didn't like the idea of someone complaing because then they have to explain their actions.

Regardless in a few hours I will post screen shots of the root access security risk they allowed. (Funny enough in their reasponce to attempt and bash me, saying I caused their actions, I didn't read a thing about that security access)

Don't worry readers this will become shown even more in my favor that I was honest during all this when I get home.

Turnkey this response will also be provided to legal due to statement of recording me which is not listed when a client calls in nor was I made aware... in case you didn't know that's also illegal good job guys.

-Scott
      0 Not allowed!

I'm going to have to side with Turnkey here. A promotion is a promotion. sd-designs, you were already getting a deal. Double disk and transfer. You asked to stack their next promotion on top of it, they said no. It's their right to do so. A banner on a webpage after you've been a customer even for 1 minute does not entitle you to anything.

You are acting as if Turnkey owed you something. They don't. You asked, fine. They said no, that should've been the end of it.

You making contact more than even 2 times to stack a promotion in my opinion says quite a bit.

That's just me though. I'm sure people will have all sorts of different opinions on this one though.

Bottom line, you shouldn't complain because you didn't get even more of a discount.
      0 Not allowed!

Its always good to hear both sides of the story. I doubt turnkey is at fault here but its my personal opinion though
      0 Not allowed!

noppix I get what you are saying; however please wait till I get home to show the lovely little parts that are not listed. Furthermore I didn't ask them to stack the promotions since my account wasn't even created with a promotion on it at all. That's where. The breaksdown with their ticket and support team came into play. At one point a the rep that closed the account even state u can have one or the otther double space or 20% off... this confused me and I responded to it with "its not two promoions though, they are the same. The promotion is 20% off AND double disk and bandwdith". So do to his miswording of coursei called the second time since they kept changing their stories. Don't worry unlike above I can prove what I say not just crop out sections like turnkey did; with how they worded it I would think I was wrong too... but there more to it then that.
      0 Not allowed!

noppix I get what you are saying; however please wait till I get home to show the lovely little parts that are not listed. Furthermore I didn't ask them to stack the promotions since my account wasn't even created with a promotion on it at all. That's where. The breaksdown with their ticket and support team came into play. At one point a the rep that closed the account even state u can have one or the otther double space or 20% off... this confused me and I responded to it with "its not two promoions though, they are the same. The promotion is 20% off AND double disk and bandwdith". So do to his miswording of coursei called the second time since they kept changing their stories. Don't worry unlike above I can prove what I say not just crop out sections like turnkey did; with how they worded it I would think I was wrong too... but there more to it then that.
    In your original post, you said you already got the double disk and bandwidth promotion when you signed up. That's a discount/promotion/special, whatever you want to call it.

You wanted a different discount/promotion/special after you signed. You wanted one that was not available when you signed up. Therefore, you're not exactly entitled to it.

I'm not saying Turnkey is an angel here either. If the account was only 3 or 4 days old, I'd have applied the current promotion. However, they chose not to, and I wouldn't think less of them for doing so. It's their reasonable right. The promotion started after you were already a client (from what I can tell.)
      0 Not allowed!

Noppix I get what ur saying; I will give a detailed explination when I get home and I'm certain u will get where I'm coming from too.

Keep in mind when I signed up I didn't have any promotion added including double space or bandwidth because I hadn't cancelled with my prior host yet. So when I signed up I didn't have any active promotion as turnkey attempt to say.

The big problem started after the online rep said no. In the morning I made my 1st of two calls ever to turnkey to ask if a manager would make an exception. Their rep told me they would and if I cancelled with my old host and posted that in the support ticket it would get taken care of.

That rep saying yes was the reason for me questioning them refusing to give me the promotion since it was their companies regional sales rep according to a later message I received. Furthermore; the claim that turnkey terminated my account for any reason other then they didn't want my business anymore(which is their words not mine) is a compliete lie. The account was terminated after my second phone call directly to Mr. Mcdonald who didn't appricate the fact I wanted to talk to someone above him. He told me to write a message in the support system and he would forward it to adam the owner. So I wrote my letter to adam, I appologized in the letter and ever told him that I didn't even expect the 20% anylonger. But I did want him to know my experiance. After that the rep that was anger that I questioned the promotion wrote me back saying the closed the account do to our business relationship detriorating, it had nothing to do with me being rude or harrassing because I wasn't but I did expect they would attempt to claim that.

-scott

My poor phones keyboard hehehe
      0 Not allowed!

I forgot to mentions that the server with the security risk housed more then 1500 accounts. This is something you as a consumer should be made aware of before making a terrible mistake and go with turnkey.
    That's the only thing that's really standing out to me here. 1500 accounts on one server? Damn that's a heck of a lot of overselling.

Are you sure it wasn't 1500 domains?
      0 Not allowed!

Positive; had little control panel icon to click on and go into the account and all had account names and emails... positive it was accounts not domains
      0 Not allowed!

Well I will side with Turnkey on the promotion issues, you already had the double disk space and then asked for the 20% off. I don't think I have ever seen a company give two separate promotions for a single product. Since they gained your business with one promotion "double disk space and bandwidth" then that promotion served its purpose why would they give you another. The "promotion was never your right" even if the 20% was already out, well before you signed up you are still going to take either and if you ask for both then ask when they say no then its no, there is such a thing as good customer service and there is also good customers. Web hosting is an expensive business with very tight profit margins it takes allot of customers to make a few bucks so promotions on top of promotions wont usually fly. I won't comment on the security issues and would recommend not posting any images if you did have root access!
    | Buzy Bee Hosting, LLCsales@bzybhosting.com★Dedicated★KVM VPS★
    | Self/Fully Managed★ Shared Hosting★cPanelŽ★ 99.9% uptime★
    | Softaculous★ CMS hosting★ SSL Certs★ Idera CDP Backup, FTP Backup
      0 Not allowed!

Patrick; believe me I know it sounds crazy. I've done website design for 8 years and hosting nearly as long. I've had dedicated and vps servers so I def know what root access looks like and when I have it.
    -Scott
    Could you please tell us "what root access looks like"?

No provider would have direct access to a privileged account.

So how did you manage to end up with access to 2 different accounts?
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Little View Post
    That's the only thing that's really standing out to me here. 1500 accounts on one server? Damn that's a heck of a lot of overselling.

I agree, darn 1,5000, even if they were small static sites, I still wouldn't take the risk of putting so many clients in one server, no matter how powerful it was.
      0 Not allowed!

These situations are tough to deal with.

I am starting to see posts like this a lot, the whole community does.

OP is always so frustrated they seem to lose their ability to speak and spell correctly. Not to mention they have spell checker.

Hosting Company usually responds with reasonable claims.

Both sides have proof that could easily be faked. Sd says Turnkey faked the proof and cropped parts out. How do we know SD didn't do the same thing?

When you are trying to prove anything to anyone, I suggest checking your grammar twice and your spelling three times. It is really hard to side with someone that is asking for the world and doesn't even use proper grammar or spelling.

That is my personal opinion, and we are all entitled to those.

On the other hand, if Turnkey did give SD root access, everyone will be thankful that it wasn't used maliciously.

If turnkey has a recorded phone conversation of verbal abuse, Sd's case is ruined. Verbal assault on any employee is not acceptable under any circumstances, regardless of the error.

Business transactions should be handled professionally.
    Does Your WordPress Come With Premium Themes?
    At DP Blog Host, you'll get two!
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Alivedead View Post
    Well I will side with Turnkey on the promotion issues, you already had the double disk space and then asked for the 20% off. I don't think I have ever seen a company give two separate promotions for a single product. Since they gained your business with one promotion "double disk space and bandwidth" then that promotion served its purpose why would they give you another. The "promotion was never your right" even if the 20% was already out, well before you signed up you are still going to take either and if you ask for both then ask when they say no then its no, there is such a thing as good customer service and there is also good customers. Web hosting is an expensive business with very tight profit margins it takes allot of customers to make a few bucks so promotions on top of promotions wont usually fly. I won't comment on the security issues and would recommend not posting any images if you did have root access!
    He actually was doing either. Their promotion right now is what he got PLUS 20% off. It's one single promotion.

Still the concept stands. Whether or not the promo was active or not, doesn't matter. It was initiated, and was simply pending. They are still in no wrong to deny you the other promotion, even if it is better than the one you got. It does suck. It may not be the BEST practice for a client 4 days old, I agree, however you still can't complain in my opinion.

I honestly at this point don't think anyone will agree with you on the promotion. They felt you harassed them, they terminated you. Again, it sucks...but that's what it is.

As others have stated, the real issue might be your claim of having ridiculous access to their server. Rather than keeping it private, since you've already named the host and this has gotten a fair bit of intrigue...you may as well post the screenshots you have of their server.

PLEASE be sure to blur out anything that might lead to something more. If you're claim is true, then yes it was irresponsible of turnkey. However, it would be even more irresponsible if you made compromising data public.
      0 Not allowed!

Let this be a reminder to all the hosts here to double check your settings. I wouldn't be surprised if some "new customers" signed up for TurnKey after hearing about the 'security breach.'

Security is a huge factor for every web host.
    Does Your WordPress Come With Premium Themes?
    At DP Blog Host, you'll get two!
      0 Not allowed!

In the original post it seemed there were two promotions the "double disk space" and 20% off after reading it again it seems it was just one. I guess the issue is he was just late had already signed up and they said no and that was not enough.
    | Buzy Bee Hosting, LLCsales@bzybhosting.com★Dedicated★KVM VPS★
    | Self/Fully Managed★ Shared Hosting★cPanelŽ★ 99.9% uptime★
    | Softaculous★ CMS hosting★ SSL Certs★ Idera CDP Backup, FTP Backup
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Little View Post

I'm wondering this too, 1500 accounts is definitely not a good idea, both for the perspective of the host and the customer.
      0 Not allowed!

As for someone respectfully requesting I check my grammer... I'm on my cell still and there isn't a spell check so I appologize. As for the root access and the question above about that; I was given it when they migrated my website with root acess from my old vps server to their server. And even after me telling the tech that I was mistakenly given root access at first they claimed nope I didn't.

After that I had to send the tech a screen shot of the WHM showing them I not only had access to all accounts I had access to all WHM functions.
      0 Not allowed!

After that I had to send the tech a screen shot of the WHM showing them I not only had access to all accounts I had access to all WHM functions.
    Okay, so your account in WHM showed you some admin screens. I guess I can see how that could potentially happen. However, I still doubt that you had privileges to make actual changes on the server. But it could be possible.

I can understand this, and a error in the access control of WHM makes more sense than gaining command line root access to the server (which is I am sure what everyone thought you meant).

Though, I would have though that the ISP would have put IP access controls on the administrative areas of WHM. If they didn't, I wonder why not?

Regardless, I doubt billing information was present, and I am sure passwords were encrypted, so you may have been able to do something malicious to the server, but I don't really see the privacy violation? What information were you have to see what was not available via whois and other public sources?

Jamie
      0 Not allowed!

To be honest if a host said to me I had to cancel my old hosting before they would even give me a deal then they would not be getting my business
    Host to avoid at all costs - Real Web Host

Mouse potato - The online generations version of a couch potato
      0 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast