Question How can i make a duplicate of my wordpress blog to test out a new theme?

I want to try out a new theme for my blog as i will be adding more content soon and the current theme is not very well designed for multiple sources of content

Is it possible to copy over my blog to my server and set it up on a new theme so i can make sure the current content will fit in right with the new theme

I have my blog hosted on a hosting provider but i own a dedicated server that i could setup a duplicate site to test out a new theme.

How would i go about doing this?

If you're use cPanel,etc then login to control panel, click on Backup >> Generate a Full Backup of your site, and then send to your new site, using SCP or FTP.
    Dewlance® Shared/Reseller/Master Reseller - US/UK/EU/FRK/CA - SSD
    WHMCS ReadyMadeKB - Tutorials for cPanel/InterWorx/Softaculous& Growing..
    DemoTiger.com - Buy Demo Videos for your Hosting Company

I copy files via FTP, and then sync database with SQLyog.
    I generally test on extra domains, too. The .org or .net versions, where I use the .com for live sites.

Note that I have to change some settings in the wp-config file, as well as the database.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

download Wamp server on your pc you can check templates and scripts locally. It helps me to test websites

Quote Originally Posted by Beatplexity View Post
    I want to try out a new theme for my blog as i will be adding more content soon and the current theme is not very well designed for multiple sources of content

Is it possible to copy over my blog to my server and set it up on a new theme so i can make sure the current content will fit in right with the new theme

I have my blog hosted on a hosting provider but i own a dedicated server that i could setup a duplicate site to test out a new theme.

Why not just load up your new theme to the themes folder?
    Inside the Appearance tab you can them preview it and activate if desired.

Cooldotz
    Guaranteed Design, Development and Web Hosting
    100% Uptime on our Cloud

First export your mysql database via phpmyadmin on your web server. Save it as a zip. Then on localhost or whichever server you have access to create a new database via phpmyadmin. Next import the zip file you saved into the new database.

Now download all your http files via ftp and upload them to your other server or localhost. Then edit the config file to reflect the name of your database if different. You should have an exact copy of your site.

to get more people to your website you need to first submit the website and sitemap to search engines like google, yahoo and msn, then you have to optimise your search using SEO techniques and tools like wordtracker and google adwords tools. This will increase your exposure and drive more people to your website.

<<signatures to be set up in your profile>>
    Last edited by bear; 09-06-2010 at 10:11 AM.

What does one,
    Quote Originally Posted by ashish123 View Post
    to get more people to your website you need to first submit the website and sitemap to search engines like google, yahoo and msn, then you have to optimise your search using SEO techniques and tools like wordtracker and google adwords tools. This will increase your exposure and drive more people to your website.
    Have to do with the other?
    Quote Originally Posted by Beatplexity View Post
    Cooldotz
    Guaranteed Design, Development and Web Hosting
    100% Uptime on our Cloud

You can install a new wordpress. Then use wordpress' export to take the backup of contents. On the new installation, you have to import it.

very useful guide for a newbie:

http://www.ryantmalone.com/tips-and-...ordpress-blog/

thts how i learned, basically same as what vat0r said.