Hybrid View

Arrow Best Colocation Providers In Canada?

What are the best colocation providers in Canada in terms of service and price?

If you look around you can find quite a few good providers. Check out http://notinus.com/ - Its a list of providers that aren't located in the US.

Give PriorityColo's website a look at perhaps.

You hear good things about them up in Toronto.
    Justin Cassidy, Accentra Inc.
    www.faxmicro.com :: Your Internet Fax Solution
    www.tollfreeexpress.com :: Hosted PBX Solutions

BCHosting has a good network

They are good for the west coast I hear having multiple locations and a nice network.

The east coast I would suggest PriorityColo.

Depends on where your geographical needs are.
    Last edited by xachen; 03-06-2005 at 07:06 PM.
    Justin Cassidy, Accentra Inc.
    www.faxmicro.com :: Your Internet Fax Solution
    www.tollfreeexpress.com :: Hosted PBX Solutions

Is there nothing in Toronto that compares to iWeb.ca? They offer 1U colocation with 500 GB transfer for US$69/month, but just about anything I see recommended in Toronto is at least three times that cost. I would prefer to have my server here in the GTA rather than shipping it off to Montreal...

Originally posted by Rehan
    Is there nothing in Toronto that compares to iWeb.ca? They offer 1U colocation with 500 GB transfer for US$69/month, but just about anything I see recommended in Toronto is at least three times that cost. I would prefer to have my server here in the GTA rather than shipping it off to Montreal...
    Simple answer to that is overselling, and I mean in the financial term (not in necessarilly in the network capacity term). If you search Iweb's website, they sell bandwidth in the 1-4mbps range for $215 USD/mbps, so 500GB would run you roughly $430/mo (when looking at realistic usage of ~250gb/1mbps of 95th percentile).

Iweb sells 500 gigs because they bank on very few people using it. But if you look at the difference in cost, thats around 625% overselling (relative to their posted 95th percentile pricing), or 520% (relative to their posted 95th percentile pricing, on their 1 year contracts).

I guess what I'm trying to say is, Iweb takes a risk by overselling to the given degree, in which nobody in Toronto is willing/wanting to do. Overselling is a double-edged blade, and its too easy to get cut. If you run a profitable business selling a fair service, why risk everything to sell something for less then it costs? I guess right now, nobody in TO wants to do that (or currently already does it, but not to the same degree).
    Myles Loosley-Millman - admin@prioritycolo.com
    Priority Colo Inc. - Affordable Colocation & Dedicated Servers.
    Two Canadian facilities serving Toronto & Markham, Ontario
    http://www.prioritycolo.com

Yes, I would recommend

peer1.net
    151forntstreet.com
    prioritycolo.com

All three have reliable network backbone and reputaion. Also you can search on WHT.

Good Luck of finding it.

Thanks
    David.K
    WebHostingChat Where you Discuss & Chat about webhosting.
    DatacenterTalk DataCenterTalk.com (DCT) is a leading resources site for the Data Center community.

Originally posted by webhostingchat
    Yes, I would recommend

peer1.net
    151forntstreet.com
    prioritycolo.com

All three have reliable network backbone and reputaion. Also you can search on WHT.

Good Luck of finding it.

Thanks
    David.K
    Just a FYI, 151frontstreet.com (gotta spell it right), doesen't have a Data Center, or a network. They're a carrier hotel, and provide unconditioned space (in large quantities only), and thats about it .

151 is simply a building, whose management is very similar to any other landlords (except they handle cooling towers, and more diverse power then others, but they dont provide UPS power, etc.).

Thanks for the infomation. I didn't know that, I am going to do more research on canada datacenters.

Thank You
    David.K
    WebHostingChat Where you Discuss & Chat about webhosting.
    DatacenterTalk DataCenterTalk.com (DCT) is a leading resources site for the Data Center community.

Originally posted by xachen
    They are good for the west coast I hear having multiple locations and a nice network.

The east coast I would suggest PriorityColo.

Depends on where your geographical needs are.
    prioritycolo.com is Central, not east coast...

Originally posted by jmweb
    prioritycolo.com is Central, not east coast...
    Toronto is central? I know we Canadians dont have that much out west aside from BC, and a LOT of plains, but come on, if Toronto isn't east coast, then New York is central also .

Originally posted by porcupine
    Toronto is central? I know we Canadians dont have that much out west aside from BC, and a LOT of plains, but come on, if Toronto isn't east coast, then New York is central also .
    Looking at http://gashydrate.nrcan.gc.ca/mallik...canada_map.jpg

Toronto is east, Manitoba is central.
    Jean-Pierre Abboud / I'm the TekGURU
    www.Gotekky.com / Managed hosting solutions / AS63447
    Web Hosting, VPS Hosting, Dedicated Servers

Wow, I guess that makes us European
    http://www.DynamicHosting.Biz
    Canadian Shared, Reseller and Dedicated Hosting

Myles - Does that mean if Toronto is now central you'll need to trade the bike for horse??

I guess what I'm trying to say is, Iweb takes a risk by overselling to the given degree, in which nobody in Toronto is willing/wanting to do. Overselling is a double-edged blade, and its too easy to get cut. If you run a profitable business selling a fair service, why risk everything to sell something for less then it costs? I guess right now, nobody in TO wants to do that (or currently already does it, but not to the same degree).
    Yeah, I guess it's just that the Toronto market is being fairly reasonable about it. Of course, some customers of colo providers are still going a little nuts with overselling...like someone who has servers in your own data centre selling a 200 GB/month package for $8.95/month.

Originally posted by Rehan
    Yeah, I guess it's just that the Toronto market is being fairly reasonable about it. Of course, some customers of colo providers are still going a little nuts with overselling...like someone who has servers in your own data centre selling a 200 GB/month package for $8.95/month.
    I wouldn't even dream of setting my customers prices. If they feel the need to over-sell their service at a potential loss, I suppose thats their business, though I know there are relatively few who go that route. Again, not that theres necessarilly anything wrong with it. I suppose you could title it "how to get Priority Colo bandwidth for a fraction of the cost" .

I think I missed the parts of this thread talking about overselling and about iWeb .. I just noticed it.

Simple answer to that is overselling, and I mean in the financial term (not in necessarilly in the network capacity term). If you search Iweb's website, they sell bandwidth in the 1-4mbps range for $215 USD/mbps, so 500GB would run you roughly $430/mo (when looking at realistic usage of ~250gb/1mbps of 95th percentile).
    Isn't it the same logic as cell phones? Bell, Telus and everyone sell packages with 1000 minutes or with unlimited nights and weekends. Microcell/Fido was selling the unlimited package at 40$/month not so long ago and if Rogers wouldn't have bought them I am sure the offer would still exist and it would be profitable for Microcell (Rogers removed it to stop competing it's own products not because it was not profitable).

It's not only about overselling, why do you think that Cogent sells bandwidth really cheap? They have plenty of capacity that sleeps and that is not used they think it's better to sell to more clients but cheaper. It's a way of doing business, it all depends of your strategy and the market you want to be in.

Iweb sells 500 gigs because they bank on very few people using it. But if you look at the difference in cost, thats around 625% overselling (relative to their posted 95th percentile pricing), or 520% (relative to their posted 95th percentile pricing, on their 1 year contracts).
    That might be one of the reasons, but it's not the only one. We have more people that you might think that really use their GB allocation.

like someone who has servers in your own data centre selling a 200 GB/month package for $8.95/month.
    There is probably a term of service that restricts it .. we've been selling unmetered shared hosting since 1998 and we never had a single problem and our shared hosting operations are profitable. You need to enforce the TOS and you sure need to cancel accounts sharing mp3s and yes you need to support some accounts that will do 200GB/month without using too much system ressources, but overall you answer the needs of the clients, you get a volume and it's profitable if you do it the good way.

You are right in that part. If you run a profitable business right now you might have a bigger risk if changing your pricing will affect your current revenues. If you start a new business, you need to think about the business model you want and choose what better fits your vision.

As for the risk, iWeb takes a very calculated risk, if there is a risk at all.
    :: Martin Leclair
    :: Linkedin Profile

Ya see that dot on the east coast called Prince Edward Island, thats East coast for ya! I am from PEI and I consider Toronto Central (Plus they are CST )

Ya see that dot on the east coast called Prince Edward Island, thats East coast for ya! I am from PEI and I consider Toronto Central (Plus they are CST )
    I'd call that the extreme north-east, middle of nowhere!

Toronto is EST, and very eastern, what kind of teachers do you have in the schools up there?!

I'd call that the extreme north-east, middle of nowhere!

Toronto is EST, and very eastern, what kind of teachers do you have in the schools up there?!
    I thought Toronto was CST, my bad. Our teachers have had bad marks but I think that slipup had more to do with my tiredness.

I thought Toronto was CST, my bad. Our teachers have had bad marks but I think that slipup had more to do with my tiredness.
    You should be ashamed of yourself, and suffer the punishment of coming to Toronto for a visit , bring any attractive young teachers with you