How Long Can my Server Be Hit With DDOS Until I'm Dropped?

I have a dedicated server with Versaweb. They don't offer any DDOS service or help. I've been getting hit with an almost daily 3 hour DDOS attack that takes my three sites off line.

Will I get cancelled by Versaweb? Does a DDOS attack affect them too or just my server?

What if the attacks go on longer like ten hours or even all day? Will Versaweb cancel me eventually?

It's been about three weeks now.

Or maybe they don't care because it only hits my server. ?

Anyone know?

You will need to talk to them. Every provider has their own policies. If the attack was very big you would have been dropped right now. Depending on the attack, you may wish to watch your bandwidth usage as to not be charged an insane amount should this attack be taxing your b/w.

At first, they dropped me for three days after the attack but now I go right back up when the attack ends.

You might want to look at a Ddos mitigation provider before the next attack happens. Though it is fairly expensive, it can save you. Your other option would be to switch up IP's and or figure out why you are being targeted. Are you hosting IRC? What kind of sites do you have?
    Tyler S.
    TheWareHive.com | Hosting Sites Since 2010

"Problems Of Today, Meet Solutions Of Tomorrow"
    US East ~ Shared, Dedicated & Fully Managed VPS Solutions

Yes, it probably costs them bandwidth (and maybe money) and may cause issues for other clients if they have a bad network design.
    Common sense is not so common.

What if I try to buy more bandwidth with Versaweb and hope the attacks stop?

Quote Originally Posted by jamesriske View Post
    Consider finding a provider with ddos protection or proxy service instead of just buying more bandwidth. You may also wish to have someone tweak/harden your server against the DDoS. If you are not being null routed, the attack might be small enough to block at the server level. How big of an attack are you facing? And what kind?

if the attack isnt big enough to saturate or overload the switch you are on, and any other higher up network gear, then they may not care.
    if you start affecting other customers, you can bet you will be nullrouted
    EasyDCIM.com - DataCenter Infrastructure Management - HELLO DEDICATED SERVER & COLO PROVIDERS! - Reach Me: chris@easydcim.com
    Bandwidth Billing | Inventory & Asset Management | Server Control
    Order Forms | Reboots | IPMI Control | IP Management | Reverse&Forward DNS | Rack Management

How large are the attacks?
    ColoCrossing - Dedicated to Uptime
    Jon Biloh | jbiloh@colocrossing.com | 1.800.518.9716 | Skype: jbiloh
    DDOS Protected Colo & Dedicated Servers in Buffalo, Chicago, Dallas and Los Angeles

Buying more bandwidth will not solve your problem. You need to find a way to stop or mitigate the attacks. If you keep throwing bandwidth at it you will just be wasting money that could go towards a solution for the problem instead of just throwing a band-aid on it.
    Tyler S.

Well, I bought the 100 tb bandwidth increase from Versaweb and now I only go down during the actual DDOS attack. When the attack stops, I go back up and everything seems fine. Whereas before, Versaweb would pull me offline for two or three days.

My question is if the attacks continue like this, will Versaweb drop me?

how can we answer FOR versa? ask them.
    EasyDCIM.com - DataCenter Infrastructure Management - HELLO DEDICATED SERVER & COLO PROVIDERS! - Reach Me: chris@easydcim.com
    Bandwidth Billing | Inventory & Asset Management | Server Control
    Order Forms | Reboots | IPMI Control | IP Management | Reverse&Forward DNS | Rack Management

My question is if the attacks continue like this, will Versaweb drop me?
    As long as they are not disrupting other clients and you continue to buy bandwidth to cover your loss then I do not see why they would.

But your main bet is to get some Ddos protection and mitigation or else it will not stop until the people who are doing it get bored.
    Tyler S.