Response times - kudos!

This is sort of an off-shoot from a dixiesys thread regarding response times and expectations...

I just wanted to say that as a whole, web hosts seem to have some of *the* quickest response times I have ever experienced for online services. I'm not telling people what your expectations should be, only to trying to put it in perspective.

I've had a problem with my DSL service, emailed support, and gotten replies in 3 days if I'm lucky, sometimes longer. I've used other online services and had problems and have gotten replies after a week (long enough that I forgot I even sent off the email and had a problem).

I just wanted to give kudos to all of you who provide support day in and day out, for your response times. Really, compared to most other online businesses, hosts seem to really be on top of it and manage to provide quick responses and resolutions to problems, even if there is only one person running the show.

I personally think this dedication is fantastic. While some hosts might be faster than others, in general, as a group, you guys seem to really try and that's more than I can say for a number of services I've used (from credit card processors to merchants to any other online service I've used).

Keep up the good work all!
    HostHideout.com - Where professionals discuss web hosting.

• Chicken

6 hours TOPS for support. Thanks My Opinion

I wish some banks would take lessons from some of these hosts.
    My answer to the most commonly asked question on WHT:
    Hosting Matters http://www.hostmatters.com
    FutureQuest http://www.futurequest.net

Thumbs up

This is a little bit off topic, but I had a really good experience with Plesk support yesterday. It was early Saturday evening when I submitted an e-mail to their support department and I got an answer back in about 15 minutes! I was expecting to wait until Monday at least. I exhanged a couple more e-mails with the support person (Alexey) and the problem was solved in a half an hour.

Off Topic (Kinda) - IGIA

Speaking of bad e-mail supprt replys.......I purchased something from IGIA.com and sent them an e-mail about shipping me the wrong product. THREE DAYS LATER, I got an e-mail response that was obviously automatically generated....telling me to call their toll free line. The catch, I am from Canada and their toll free line doesn't work from here.

So, I sent another e-mail telling them to give me a phone number that wasn't a toll free line........THREE DAYS later again, I get the same automated response telling me they have reviewed my e-mail and that I should call their toll free line!!! If they did in fact review my e-mail, they would have known that I asked for a number that wasn't toll free!!

Arghh.......I just had to vent that little story....

On topic though, my host normally replies to questions, etc within a couple of hours max. Haven't had anything longer than that. If I have an urgent question, I just pick up the phone and call their tech support line. Gets answered most of the time. The rare times I have been sent to voice mail (they don't stick you on hold and waiting), I received a call back within 20 minutes with problems already solved....

I bet no one has ever emailed dotster. Took almost 2 weeks for me to get a reply.

The worst technical support I have ever seen is from philips electronics. They replied to me 2 months after I sent them an email letting me know that they would need my serial number to reply to my problem.

I replied with my serial number and never got a reply back. This was with a CD-ROM recorder.

And I made the mistake of buying a philips web cam after that. Same exact thing. I should have known better. I do now. Worst thing is that they said that they reply within 3 business days.

I don't get why some people expect a shorter time than what is advertised, though.
    -Mark Adams
    www.bitserve.com - Secure Michigan web hosting for your business.
    Only host still offering a full money back uptime guarantee and prorated refunds.
    Offering advanced server management and security incident response!

Originally posted by teck
    I bet no one has ever emailed dotster. Took almost 2 weeks for me to get a reply.
    Really? Weird...I have had to e-mail them a couple of times and both times the response was back within the 24 hours that they say they will respond within.

Sorry to hear you had problems with them...

Thanks Chicken,

Funny too...I'm just poking around here while waiting for a customer to do some uploading and get back to me.

Service is #1, without customers non of us would be in business. Whether its web hosting or something else. Some companies that I worked for in the past had terrible customer service and paid dearly for it. Thats what made me realize that you have to keep the customer happy.

sorry if I went on a little rant there but I think its important.
    Matt Kelly
    WCiT.net
    Managed and Unmanaged
    Budget VPS, Cloud and Colocation

The tech support I get from hosting 4 less has always got back to me with a reply within 24 hours +- a bit, and the same with an australian host proweb. Rather them than me (not enough valium). It doesn't cost a thing to say please and thank you.

OT. My normal sane job is in the retail industry, the company I work for is highly customer service orientated, they worked out that a lost customer is equal to a loss of $50,000 . I personally go out of my way to keep them coming back. It is my wages and bonuses I am encouraging back all the time. Go out of your way a bit and it can pay dividends.

My DSL company ( which at the time I signed up was the only one able to provide services my area ) has - according to the contract - three days to fix an error. About a month ago it was down two and a half day before they fixed it - just in time. Lucky I still got my 33.6 modem

I think this is a proof competition gives better service and lower prices - I mean hosting is a service which you can choose from the whole world more or less.
    AdMentor PRO - banner management for ASP.NET 2.0 and SQLServer/MySQL

I spend most of my time surfing WebHostingTalk waiting for support requests.....every hour I usally get a few......The best thing is to make sure all of your support people have a way of checking frequently about tickets/emails.....They should make a progam that remind you of support tickets/emails/questions by turning your INTO THE FOLLOWING:

| SUPPORT |
    | NOW!! |
    |_________________|