Best recurring billing system?

Hi,
    Which transaction processor do you think offers the best recurring billing system? I've been using InternetSecure for years and it's OK, but not a very flexible system.

I'm looking for a powerful recurring billing system which really simplifies billing by offering features such as:

- automatic e-mailing to my customers when the credit card on record expires
    - option to allow my customers to directly update their credit card details with the processor without having us as the intermediary.
    - ability to send custom receipts for recurring transaction to the cardholder.
    - perhaps the ability to connect to their recurring billing database remotely (via port 3306 for example if they use mySQL!)

I know these are rather specific, but I think they are requirements for the billing system of any major web host

EMS can do all that - except allow the customers to update their info.

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

Affordable host,
    what is EMS???
    thanks......

Do you plan on using any control panels like Plesk, Ensim or Cpanel?

Originally posted by 21inchguns
    Affordable host,
    what is EMS???
    thanks......
    Its the merchant account that we've been using for about a year. I've been really happy with them. They are a bit more expensive than some...but DEFINITELY worth it, in my opinion. Their recurring billing systme is extremely easy to use.

www.emscorporate.com is their direct link

--Tina
    Last edited by Tina J; 01-19-2002 at 10:44 AM.
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

Originally posted by AffordableHost

Its the merchant account that we've been using for about a year. I've been really happy with them. They are a bit more expensive than some...but DEFINITELY worth it, in my opinion. Their recurring billing systme is extremely easy to use.

www.emsinc.com is their direct link

<removed>

--Tina
    First, your top link is incorrect. The actual link is http://www.emscorporate.com/

Second, it is highly inappropriate for you to advertise your little affiliate link here and goes directly against the rules in place on this forum, especially for hosts. Even if I were looking for something like this and decided to use their services, I would never click through your affiliate link, just because you put it here. Anyway, people can find better rates than EMS elsewhere.
    Last edited by Chicken; 01-19-2002 at 04:11 PM.
    My answer to the most commonly asked question on WHT:
    Hosting Matters http://www.hostmatters.com
    FutureQuest http://www.futurequest.net

I have to second http://www.emscorporate.com/

Very easy to set-up and you can begin processing cards instantly.

Originally posted by otherground
    I have to second http://www.emscorporate.com/

Very easy to set-up and you can begin processing cards instantly.
    Can you give me some details on how their recurring billing system works? Is it administered on the web or through some sort of software? Would my customers be able to directly update their billing details? And do they allow the recurring billing records to be export for loading in a local database (e.g. MSAccess)?

Thanks for your help!

It's a web interface - you input all of the info (or have it hooked up to your order form, so it goes there automatically, like we do), and then you click on a button that says "recurring billing" and tell it how many payments, frequency, etc.

It is INCREDIBLY easy.

We were with ECHO and one other before EMS. Everything else, including Authorize.net is such a hassle to setup. EMS is really easy. Like I said, they aren't the cheapest - but I would rather pay a bit more for this.

Also, most merchant accounts require that hosting companies charge month to month....EMS allows us to charge however we want to.

--Tina

<edit> I added the line in my signature AFTER this thread was started - not intending to spam anyone...the direct link to EMS is http://www.emscorporate.com </edit>

with EMS, your clients can not edit their own billing info, but this has it advantages ... you don't have to worry about someone hacking into your database ...

Originally posted by AffordableHost
    It's a web interface - you input all of the info (or have it hooked up to your order form, so it goes there automatically, like we do), and then you click on a button that says "recurring billing" and tell it how many payments, frequency, etc.
    Thanks Tina - all of the features you mention are offered by InternetSecure who I'm with right now. The main challenge will be transferring all of my current recurring accounts over elsewhere. But if they offer good rates (I pay $1.50+4.5% per transaction) then the effort would pay back on the long run. I would defenitely need some kind of import function for their recurring billing system.

Originally posted by hostmaniac

Thanks Tina - all of the features you mention are offered by InternetSecure who I'm with right now. The main challenge will be transferring all of my current recurring accounts over elsewhere. But if they offer good rates (I pay $1.50+4.5% per transaction) then the effort would pay back on the long run. I would defenitely need some kind of import function for their recurring billing system.

EMS rates, I believe, are around 2.50% + 30 cents per transaction (plus about $40 in gateway/statement fees), with a $95 setup fee. But I just had them take the setup fee after my first month with them. Made it a bit easier to swallow!

--Tina

Originally posted by Peeps
    Anyway, people can find better rates than EMS elsewhere.
    You can't put a price on great service and support.

Hi Tina
    Is it EMS only for USA based companies?
    Which billing script work with it? (ex. Ubersmit, Modernbill,etc)
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Hi all-

I am at the EMS website right now. Am I misunderstanding, or does that say $49.90/month in addition to the other fees? I can understand good support, but isn't $49.90 kinda expensive?

-Lamar
    Going out of business in our 10th year.

Originally posted by Lamar
    Hi all-

I am at the EMS website right now. Am I misunderstanding, or does that say $49.90/month in addition to the other fees? I can understand good support, but isn't $49.90 kinda expensive?

-Lamar
    Hi Lamar, I am kind with ya here. I dont understand that either. Were you able to find anything on their site with regard to customer signup, recurring billing and customer account management, i sure haven't been able to find anything?
    Happy trails... cowboy Mike

See Panama City Beach real estate for sale!
    Kiva.org - Make a loan change a life! See who we have loaned to!

Nope. I haven't found any of those things. Maybe someone else can point them out to us.

-Lamar
    Going out of business in our 10th year.

Hostmaniac:
    In my opinion, all you need to do is make InternetSecure work better for your situation.

First of all, if you're paying $1.50 (Cdn $) and over 4% now, you're probably on the Small Canadian/US Dollar Account. So you'd be paying $24.95 Cdn per month for admin.

Do what I did. Move up to the Standard Canadian/US Dollar Account. Now you pay $45/month admin, but $0.45/transaction and only 3.75%. Do the math to see if moving up benefits you.

They offer export scripts to put orders into a local db.

They offer recurring billing.

They offer GREAT customer service, and they have a very good AVS system in place.

Can you tell I'm a happy customer??

Actually one of my new sites this year is going to be a hosting service, and I'm definitely going to set up another merchant account with I.S.

vito:
    It's true, I'm reasonably happy with InternetSecure. But I do think they are slow implementing new features. For example, they have been telling me a newer more powerful recurring billing system will be released for a long while now, but nothing much.

Do you use their recurring billing system? I have been using their RB system for almost 4 years now and the main problem I have is that my customers can not automaticaly update their billing, credit card, or e-mail address. They should atleast have an option which allows people to login using their RB # and view/update their RB record or credit card on profile. Not having this option means far too many declined credit cards because they expire without warning, and far too many customers don't get their receipts because the e-mail is outdated. Doing all the updating myself is very time consuming.

Also I wish we could customize the payment pages to match the layout and coloring of our main sites.

Otherwise, I agree, InternetSecure is great.

AND YES, I need to upgrade away from the Small Merchant plan! Thank you :-)

Hmmm. You bring up some issues that I've never had to deal with before. For the last year and a half, I've used IS for a retail gift site I own. Never had to deal with recurring billing. But I can see from your last post how RB comes with its own set of potential headaches. Will have to look at it more closely.

I'll be using RB soon on the new hosting site. Although I probably won't have to worry as much about dealing with "thousands" of accounts. I'll be catering to a very specific niche market, so the numbers won't get that high.

Let me know what you decide to do. I'm interested.