Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hostgator.com Frustration

Having problems with Hostgator.com, been with them for about four months now. I am on a shared server. My site has around 15000 uniques per month with approx 2-5TB in traffic per month. I run a phpNUKE site that offers up large zip files for downloads.

Recently Hostgator took my site down due to CPU usage. They are claiming one of my scripts is causing "[php] <defunct>" processes to spawn over and over lagging down the CPU.

I believe them that this is happening to a degree. Its never happened before. I was on a dedicated server with this site for eight years before I went shared and there was no problems. I changed to shared to save money. I made no changes to the site, and Hostgator claims the same. How could this error just appear all of the sudden?

I understand phpNUKE was never the best written code. I understand as code gets older generally it becomes less and less compatible with other software.

Hostgator is holding my site offline until I fix the problem. Honestly I have no idea what the problem is. Theres only so much troubleshooting you can do from a shared account. Since I have to ask them to bring my site back online, troubleshooting becomes extremely hard to do.

Anyways... I really don't want to get in any type of protracted arguement through the ticket system with these guys who don't want to look at thier end at all. I am ready to packup and move!

MOOXE

Can you please give me your ticket ID? I'd like to look into this for you.

EDIT: net is right that there are limits on shared hosting, but our team should at least be giving you a good head start on the troubleshooting if not totally resolving the issue itself. We're limited as to what we can troubleshoot code wise, especially on encrypted scripts -- but we do try to support as much as we possibly can. If you supply me your ticket ID I'll ensure that happens (and is happening across the board). One caveat though, if you moved from a dedicated server to shared hosting there's a chance your site just isn't prepared to scale *down* to a more restricted resource environment like that.
    Last edited by gatorpatrick; 01-31-2013 at 07:38 PM.
    Patrick P.
    HostGator.com LLC
    patrick(@)hostgator(.)com

That is shared hosting. No matter where you go if your site is causing overload in the server, they will suspend you.

Specially 4 U
    Reseller Hosting: Boost Your Websites | Fully Managed KVM VPS: 3.20 - 5.00 Ghz, Pure Dedicated Power
    JoneSolutions.Com is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions, server management and services since 2001
    Debian|Ubuntu|cPanel|DirectAdmin|Enhance|Webuzo|Acronis|Estela|BitNinja|Nginx

I agree with what net said. Don't treat your shared hosting account like it's a dedicated server.

It could very well be that my site was never intended to go on the type of shared hosting we are familair with, ie: couple hundred sites on one computer. It seemed ok for the four months I have been with them, as I was never notified of a problem.

My last dedicated server was with iWeb.com. It was a Celeron 2.4ghz, 4Gb of ram, 100Mbps connection. Seldomly used more than 500megs of RAM at peak time and CPU load was always less than two.

Thanks Patrick for looking further into this for me.

Sent ticket ID to your PM btw.

If that is the case you can always upgrade to a managed vps and still save money but not be so limited to the shard hosting account then its win/win for both parties. Not saying you have to stay with HostGator but they also offer VPS.

I know shared is probably the worst way to host some sites. However, the problem with my site is it seems to be spawning defunct processes over and over which end up taking too much of the systems resources. This problem has basically appeared out of nowhere. Normal usage of my site probably does not impact the server negatively, and the response time has been very quick for the past few months.

I'm not sure whether I'm understanding this.

You have 200 sites on a shared hosting account, one of which gets 500 unique's a day and uses up to 5 TB of bandwidth?

And you wonder if the host is the problem?

Hmmmmm
    www.websitemagick.com "Add a little Magick to your Website"
    IwebNews.net

Like everyone else is saying even if you go somewhere else you will end up running into this issue. Your going to have to fix it even if you decide to move.

Large zip files for downloads is already a problem with shared environment. Have you ever considered to put the download files on somewhere else like the free cloud storage?

Quote Originally Posted by Lincxu View Post
    Large zip files for downloads is already a problem with shared environment. Have you ever considered to put the download files on somewhere else like the free cloud storage?
    Hostgator should know how to run a server. Unless the admin is clueless, I can't see how a large zip file could be a problem.

Unless the bandwidth usage is really through the roof, or there's some kind of dynamic generation or code-based serving of said files. But if it's the latter it would be CPU usage issue once again.

Quote Originally Posted by mooxe View Post
    I understand phpNUKE was never the best written code. I understand as code gets older generally it becomes less and less compatible with other software.
    That's my understanding of phpnuke. Once upon a time my colleague evaluated the package, and after taking a peek at the code, ran screaming to the other direction. I'm exaggerating only a little bit.

Have you tried updating the software? It's not very likely that an old piece of PHP code would completely stop running, but there could be some kind of conflict with the server software.

I'm still fairly new to the typical cPanel American shared hosting business (I come from the free hosting world) and I am astonished you can use multiple TB's of bandwidth each month without running into serious issues. A large VPS comes with 5TB bandwidth and is way more expensive than $5 per month (which is a standard price for unlimited* hosting). In the free hosting world, you are incapable of running a medium or more traffic site, especially if it's backed by a CMS. I can't believe people host huge sites on a package costing less than a hamburger and even complain when they get issues.

You can't use that amount of resource in the shared package.

Quote Originally Posted by i7Grendel View Post
    I'm still fairly new to the typical cPanel American shared hosting business (I come from the free hosting world) and I am astonished you can use multiple TB's of bandwidth each month without running into serious issues. A large VPS comes with 5TB bandwidth and is way more expensive than $5 per month (which is a standard price for unlimited* hosting). In the free hosting world, you are incapable of running a medium or more traffic site, especially if it's backed by a CMS. I can't believe people host huge sites on a package costing less than a hamburger and even complain when they get issues.
    Well let me get something straight. The topic is Hostgator.com Frustration. I am mostly just frustrated with the position I am in with Hostgator. I am not really complaining about thier service, I am complaining about the situation I we are in together.

However, Hostgator.com does offer unlimited business accounts on shared servers which I use. I am not a network admin, I don't know much about servers and writing any type of code. When I see a package offered as unlimited thats what I expect to have. I don't particularly care about what people in the industry interpret what "unlimited" really means, I interpret it as unlimited without the quotes. If I decided to complain about that specific point, I have full rights to and nobody can say otherwise.

Hostgator was helpful prior to this thread beginning. Since then, they have been even more helpful. They have followed up multiple times with different courses of action I can take. It may have been a mistake for this site to go shared, however I have turned a lot of useless functions off and blocked a lot of traffic I don't need on my site. Also using site caching, Cloudflare and more flood protection. We'll see how this works out.

Your site probably needs a dedicated server. And you downgraded to a shared account to save some money. If you can't afford your hobby, go outdoors and play soccer...

Don't get frustrated at hostgator. If the tittle is misleading, edit it.

Quote Originally Posted by mooxe View Post
    Well let me get something straight. The topic is Hostgator.com Frustration. I am mostly just frustrated with the position I am in with Hostgator. I am not really complaining about thier service, I am complaining about the situation I we are in together.

However, Hostgator.com does offer unlimited business accounts on shared servers which I use. I am not a network admin, I don't know much about servers and writing any type of code. When I see a package offered as unlimited thats what I expect to have. I don't particularly care about what people in the industry interpret what "unlimited" really means, I interpret it as unlimited without the quotes. If I decided to complain about that specific point, I have full rights to and nobody can say otherwise.

Hostgator was helpful prior to this thread beginning. Since then, they have been even more helpful. They have followed up multiple times with different courses of action I can take. It may have been a mistake for this site to go shared, however I have turned a lot of useless functions off and blocked a lot of traffic I don't need on my site. Also using site caching, Cloudflare and more flood protection. We'll see how this works out.
    Unlimited Space and Bandwidth doesn't mean unlimited CPU usage, keep that in mind.

HostGator is, however, probably the best shared host in terms of what you get for your money. They let you use a lot of bandwidth and CPU before suspension. I've used 5-10TB of BW in a month on a HG Shared Account, with hundreds of thousands of hits, zero downtime and zero issues.

HostGator is, however, probably the best shared host in terms of what you get for your money.
    ...And awfully big assumption there. Not suggesting I know the answer, but I guess it depends on what you're looking to get for your money?

Quote Originally Posted by Trip View Post
    ...And awfully big assumption there. Not suggesting I know the answer, but I guess it depends on what you're looking to get for your money?
    What I mean, is that HostGator gives you a lot more resources than most other hosts. Especially in CPU/RAM.

Interesting, App. In your experience does HG tend to preserve a pretty stable/well-performing environment most of the time? (even with people pushing the limits as some inevitably are bound to do?)

Quote Originally Posted by Trip View Post
    Interesting, App. In your experience does HG tend to preserve a pretty stable/well-performing environment most of the time? (even with people pushing the limits as some inevitably are bound to do?)
    Server Load 0.02 (16 cpus)
    Memory Used 26.8 %
    Swap Used 2.91 %

This is server status for the HG server I'm on. Never seen a load above 1.0. The server I'm on is apparently extremely undersold.

The HG server that I am on...

Server Load 0.08 (8 cpus)
    Memory Used 25.1%

you expect not to have peoblems on shared hosting using 5tb bw a month?

5TB bandwidth on Shared is too high and you really abusing the system.

Definitely you must go for a VPS or dedicated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast