Lightbulb Please Clarify For Me . . .

Hi All . . .

I mentioned in another thread today that I just cancelled my account with Aletia. When I wrote in to cancel, I asked for partial credit for the unused portion of money I had paid upfront for a years worth of hosting. I just assumed that they'd credit my credit card and I'd be on my way . . . but no.

Instead this is what they said :

Hi Stacey,

I have checked with PaySystems and they are currently unable to do a partial credit to a card.

As such, we will be doing a bank transfer for the partial credit ($35.70). We will need the following information from you to initiate the transfer:

Bank Account Holder:
    Bank Account Number:
    Recipient's Address:
    Recipient's City, State, Zip, Country:
    Bank Routing/ABA Number:
    Name of Bank:
    Bank's Address:
    Bank's City, State, Zip, Country:

<Snipped Signature for this post>
    Now, is it "just me" or is this a bit strange? In all the years I've been creating sites and using hosting services, I've never had a host ask for bank account information. Is this a "norm" I just haven't come across before? I really don't feel comfortable giving this information via an email and over the Internet, am I being paranoid?

As always, any feedback/wisdom is appreciated.

~ Stace
    "The believer is happy. The doubter is wise." -- Hungarian proverb

Well it is strange to refund it by bank transfer... why don't they simply send you a cheque?

But if a bank transfer is what they are doing they will need account details in order to put it in your account.

Originally posted by Paul-ukhost
    Well it is strange to refund it by bank transfer... why don't they simply send you a cheque?
    Good question, and my thoughts exactly . . .

But if a bank transfer is what they are doing they will need account details in order to put it in your account.
    True, but with all the info floating around about Aletia not posting a real physical address on their site, I'm a bit hesitant in giving them my bank account information.

Good luck to you, getting your money back. I went through the same situation a while back with another company. I did finally get my refund.

Have you seen this thread...

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...threadid=44684

They're right in that Paysystems dont provide the facility for partial refunds. It has to be the whole order. A bank transfer (as opposed to Paypal or a cheque) is a strange way to do it, unless you're in the same region as them.

Cheers

Gary

I really can't understand it either. I don't "think" I'm in the same region as them, because as far as I know they are in Nevada and I'm far from there.

I'll most likely just forget about the $35.70 . . . for me, it's worth not getting the money back knowing I didn't give my bank account information to a company that seems to be in a "downward spiral".

Thanks to all for the replies.

Have you asked them if they would refund you through PayPal or by check?
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

Originally posted by SoftWareRevue
    Have you asked them if they would refund you through PayPal or by check?
    PayPal or check would, indeed, be preferable as usually BOTH the sender and the receiver get slapped with wire transfer fees (at least in our experience). You may want to check with your bank to see if you get charged for incoming wire transfers.
    Jim
    RotoHOST.com
    webhosting solutions for e-Business

Another idea. Ask them to refund the entire amount and then recharge whatever portion was actually used.
    My answer to the most commonly asked question on WHT:
    Hosting Matters http://www.hostmatters.com
    FutureQuest http://www.futurequest.net