Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Sales have picked up quite a bit. In January, we were receiving maybe 2 orders a week. But now it's 2 orders a day, sometimes up to 5 orders a day. A lot of people jumping ship. I think 1 chargeback so far, but we cought about 4 stolen cards this month before they could do a chargeback.

Edit: 6 signups so far today.
    Last edited by avara; 03-15-2002 at 01:38 PM.
    Hostit365.com - Reliable Web Hosting with magical support
    cPanel #1 Web Hosting Control Panel Included
    WHT members benefit from our industry leading 60 day money back guarantee with no small print
    Now accepting PayPal™ - Click here to order now

Originally posted by avara
    Sales have picked up quite a bit. In January, we were receiving maybe 2 orders a week. But now it's 2 orders a day, sometimes up to 5 orders a day. A lot of people jumping ship.

Yeah, thank you Jumpline and Readyhosting! We've had alot of new orders from their former customers.

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

Still get a sustained 3 daily sign up av. since 3 month ago.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

If it makes anyone feel better, I average about 0 new orders a day...

Of course, I don't run a hosting company, so that may have something to do with it .

19 WOW Thats good. The most I have ever gotten were 4 in one day.

Sure you didn't have an advertising campaign going LOL. Anyway good luck to you.

We had 6 today, 4 where fraud

and yes I'm jealous
    Mark Sullivan
    http://www.allnethost.com/

From 12/5/2001
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...threadid=28141

Close to 50 new orders plus alot of renewals. Our average is about 10 new orders a day - 20 is a REALLY good day.
    The same user says this.

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...threadid=39559

Funny I stumbled across this thread today.

Our highest number of orders was 38 on New Years' Eve. Today I rec'd 4 chargebacks...all 4 were transactions put through on that date.

I generally get 10 orders a day and 1 chargeback every other month or so. Now I just feel stupid.
    And this, dear casual reader, is why you should always take any and all claims by web hosts with a grain of salt. I have no doubt that some of the hosts who are talking about one or two (or no) orders per day are telling it as it is. The others, though....I won't call them liars, no. But exaggeration or not being able to keep track of what they've said? Yes. I have a hard time believing that a really busy company could afford to have their people hanging around in this forum or on newsgroups all the time.

All of you smaller hosts who keep plugging away at this, day after day, I say more power to you. Clients want your honesty, and it's refreshing to see someone not afraid to be the little guy.
    My answer to the most commonly asked question on WHT:
    Hosting Matters http://www.hostmatters.com
    FutureQuest http://www.futurequest.net

I highly suspect that this thread is going to turn into a flame war.

I set up a query on our site where you can see how many .com, .net, and .org domain names a nameserver is authoritative for. Although this isn't scientific, it could be useful for a ball park figure on how many domains a web host is hosting. If tracked over time, it could be useful at monitoring the number of new clients that are being gained.

http://www.bitserve.com/cgi-bin/query.pl

I'm going to try to update it every wednesday with tuesday's data. I figured as long as I'm monitoring my competition, I'd let everyone else do it too. Although I'm removing our nameservers, because we seem to be the most popular search. And I obviously didn't create it so that our competition could monitor us. Damn them!
    -Mark Adams
    www.bitserve.com - Secure Michigan web hosting for your business.
    Only host still offering a full money back uptime guarantee and prorated refunds.
    Offering advanced server management and security incident response!

Originally posted by bitserve
    Although this isn't scientific, it could be useful for a ball park figure on how many domains a web host is hosting.
    LOL. So for Dotster it states "ns1.dotster.com has 2095 records". So what does the number tell you? That dotster has only 2095 domains? No, only that this particular nameserver has 2095 domains.

Originally posted by bitserve
    I highly suspect that this thread is going to turn into a flame war.
    The only thing we have to go on in the online world is what others present to us. If they aren't going to be honest and they get caught out, people will find out one way or the other. Most of the time, like this time, it's through their own words. This is not an attempt to start a flame war. It's an attempt to point out that people should be wary of what they read.

I set up a query on our site where you can see how many .com, .net, and .org domain names a nameserver is authoritative for. Although this isn't scientific, it could be useful for a ball park figure on how many domains a web host is hosting. If tracked over time, it could be useful at monitoring the number of new clients that are being gained.
    How? With most hosting companies using a variety of different nameservers, people who use third party DNS management services, or with hosting companies that do a lot of reseller work where resellers get their own nameservers, it's just like relying on what the companies themselves say. Better for the companies to present themselves in as honest a light as possible at all times and therefore have their words taken at face value rather than relying on something like this which is likely to be inaccurate in a lot of cases.

[removed URL]

I'm going to try to update it every wednesday with tuesday's data. I figured as long as I'm monitoring my competition, I'd let everyone else do it too. Although I'm removing our nameservers, because we seem to be the most popular search. And I obviously didn't create it so that our competition could monitor us. Damn them!
    So, you're willing for anyone and everyone to use something like that hostspy thing that was removed from this forum for anyone's company but your own. How...noble of you.

If someone wants to lie about their success, they will, if they want to increase numbers to look powerful, they will. Although having the biggest site and making the most money is always fun, doing it is far more important. As far as I care, if you want to make up some numbers do so, be respectful and keep them statistically valid so you don’t ruin posts (ie if you had 3 signups, 1 fraud order, don’t say you had 20 signups and 1 fraud order).

For those people not lying, if you're getting lots of orders, awesome, if you want to get more orders, these forums sure seem to give good advice, I know I've learned alot. All in all, if the guy next to you is lying, that’s his bad, your going to sleep at night knowing what you make while he's sleeping wishing he made half that much. If you keep it up one day you'll merge or do a nice press release and all your success will be shown to the world while that other guy applies for a job at your new office

Thats my take on the matter.

Well, I must doing something wrong I guess, because this week was one of the slowest week in 5 month
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Originally posted by Peeps
    From 12/5/2001
    And this, dear casual reader, is why you should always take any and all claims by web hosts with a grain of salt. I have no doubt that some of the hosts who are talking about one or two (or no) orders per day are telling it as it is. The others, though....I won't call them liars, no. But exaggeration or not being able to keep track of what they've said? Yes. I have a hard time believing that a really busy company could afford to have their people hanging around in this forum or on newsgroups all the time.
    Please notice, dear casual reader, that Peeps was also doubtful of Tina's success in the previous thread. I won't call Peeps a flamebait troll, but i do encourage others to take what he says with a grain of salt.

As far as the data presented, it seems pretty consistent to me, in both threads she said said that she averages 10 new customers a day -- which is what is really important. As for the highest signups in a single day, since I doubt most hosts burn that information into their brain, I think it is easy to make a mistake with that number. Given the level of helpfulness and support Tina has provided users with over the years, I think a little leeway is more than in order.

At the price tina sells her hosting at i wouldnt say 19 orders in a day was that amazing, all though it is good You need to look at how much each sign up is worth and not just how many sign ups a company gets.

EDIT: Sorry Tina, getting everyone muddled up here
    Last edited by Alan - Vox; 03-17-2002 at 11:37 AM.

By trying to prove that I lied - you've actually pretty much proved my truthfulness.

I said "close to 50 orders and alot of renewals"...while 38 is not 50...it is close when you throw in all the renewals and take into consideration that I didn't run off and do an exact count before I posted the first time. I did, however, have the exact number the last time I posted...because I had just got done looking at why the hell we got so many chargebacks from one day.

I also stated, in both (and probably alot more than that) posts that we get about 10 + new orders per day.

I have a five figure monthly income...every month it goes up by about $2000. I know I'm lucky and I also know that it could all be taken away (the nature of changing technology)...which is why I work 14 hours a day and have no life outside of my business. Yeah, its great...but alot of aspects of 10+ orders a day isn't so great.

I don't need to brag, but I did think this was a place where hosters could share, commisurate (sp?) and tell each other "congrats". Guess not.

--Tina

<EDIT ADDED LATER> My husband just pointed out to me that the 38 number was credit card orders only (that thread was about chargebacks). The 50 I quoted before included ALL orders on that day. The actual number may not have been exactly 50...but it was more than 38 actually. </EDIT>
    Last edited by Tina J; 03-17-2002 at 11:57 AM.
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

Chicken Could You Lock this Thread before we bring out the UZI's and flamethrowers.

Please notice, dear casual reader, that Peeps was also doubtful of Tina's success in the previous thread. I won't call Peeps a flamebait troll, but i do encourage others to take what he says with a grain of salt.
    I am not a troll. If I was, I would probably claim the same thing, but what is really important here is how hosts conduct themselves. Since the perception is that some hosts are so helpful and participate here quite extensively despite what must be incredibly busy schedules given their claims of how much business they're doing, I guess we'll have to let these lapses slide. How lucky that we're all graced with their presence. If I was a customer, I'd be pretty brassed that my host was spending all that time here or in the newsgroups.

By trying to prove that I lied - you've actually pretty much proved my truthfulness.
    I didn't say you lied. I pointed out inconsistencies in what you've claimed. And by saying so, I proved that you can't keep track of your own story. That's not surprising, since it happens to everyone eventually. I would expect that someone who seems more interested in proving themselves so much more successful than anyone else would keep a closer eye on what they were saying.

I said "close to 50 orders and alot of renewals"...while 38 is not 50...it is close when you throw in all the renewals and take into consideration that I didn't run off and do an exact count before I posted the first time. I did, however, have the exact number the last time I posted...because I had just got done looking at why the hell we got so many chargebacks from one day.
    Well, we'll just excuse you per uuallen's post. It's interesing that you came here specifically in early December and started an entire thread about how much business you were getting but that stellar day somehow slipped your memory. You were then able to name an exact alternate day (New Year's Eve) and an exact number (38). I find it odd. Other people do as well.

I don't need to brag,
    You seem to make it a point in almost every business-related post you make. Why not let your business speak for itself?

but I did think this was a place where hosters could share, commisurate (sp?) and tell each other "congrats". Guess not.
    And I did think this was a place where fairly accurate information could be found on a number of hosts instead of a pissing match between hosts trying to prove who's better/more successful/gets more business every day. Guess not.

I vote no on closing this thread. Why can't hosts be held accountable for the things they say in a public forum? The only reason Tina's posts are singled out in this context is because she has made the claims herself. It would be no different if Deb at FQ were to pop in telling us all how they had 500 signups in a single day and then two months later tell us all that their actual highest day was 150, several weeks after that original date. Since FQ lets their actions speak for themselves, though, it's unlikely we'd ever see something like that from them.

Originally posted by Walter

LOL. So for Dotster it states "ns1.dotster.com has 2095 records". So what does the number tell you? That dotster has only 2095 domains? No, only that this particular nameserver has 2095 domains.
    Since when does dotster offer web hosting?

Anyway, you should have typed in their other nameservers:

NS1.DOTSTERINC.COM 156430
    NS2.DOTSTERINC.COM 156389
    -Mark Adams
    Only host still offering a full money back uptime guarantee and prorated refunds.

This is crazy. I spend maybe 15 mins a day here and you're thinking that makes me a bad host? As for my "story" - you're talking alot of posts over a 3 month period and they all say *basically* the same thing.

Yeah, after working 12 - 14 hour days and no vacation or time off since last July, I don't always remember 100% of the details and time-line on every facet of every single thing that happens.

Uh oh, maybe that makes me human?

--Tina

How? With most hosting companies using a variety of different nameservers, people who use third party DNS management services, or with hosting companies that do a lot of reseller work where resellers get their own nameservers, it's just like relying on what the companies themselves say. Better for the companies to present themselves in as honest a light as possible at all times and therefore have their words taken at face value rather than relying on something like this which is likely to be inaccurate in a lot of cases.
    That's the unscientific part. Duh.

So, you're willing for anyone and everyone to use something like that hostspy thing that was removed from this forum for anyone's company but your own. How...noble of you.
    Thank you. I will not do anything that will hurt the business that I own a part of. If you don't find the information useful, don't use it.
    -Mark Adams

Big deal. All hosts work hard, including the two in my signature. I expect it, since I work long hours myself. You keep reading things into my posts that aren't there. I never said you were a bad host. I am saying that you should take care to insure that the things you do say are accurate and don't lend themselves to contradiction.

Let's use bitserve's script. I ran through all the nameservers I know from FQ and HM and they're in an acceptable range of the number of direct clients that both say they have (not including resellers) considering that there will be a fair number of people who manage their own DNS. The range is fairly large, since bitserve himself admits that it is unscientific, but it will do for now. HM is pretty decent sized, and FQ is bigger, for those interested.

I think I've tracked down your nameservers. How about we run them through bitserve's little script and then track them over a few days or a couple of weeks? What do you say?

Yes, feel free to do so. You would have to keep in mind that we host alot more that .com, .net and .org domains and aproximately 1/4 to 1/3 of all of our customers are resellers and plenty of those use their own nameservers.

That said, testing JUST our nameservers would still give a pretty good indication that what I say is accurate.

ns1 through ns14.affordablehost.com

Oh, and be sure to post the results here with an apology in 2 weeks.

--Tina

Umm, Peeps, nothing Tina ever said was contradictory. 38 is pretty close to 50, and she said "close to 50", not "exactly 50".

Further, why do you feel so threatened by her? She is successful and this is good as an example to follow not defame. Tina has helped tons of people time and again as I've bared witness. She has helped me in fairly significant ways, and she probably doesn't even know it!

Also, she qualified the 38 as only being credit card orders thereby possibly inflating the number to be even closer to 50 and you chose to ignore that.

As proof that you aren't reading the entire message and just basing conclusions on what you skim, you mention using bitserves script "a few days or a couple of weeks", even though bitserve made it clear that it was only updated once a week.

I think that says enough. I hate it when good people are treated with disrespect. Good luck to you.
    <!-- boo! -->

I love the qualifications placed on things.

And I don't feel threatened in any way, shape, or form by Tina or anyone else here. In my business, being less than truthful or not providing accuracy in the things you claim can be very dangerous to business both in terms of the business itself and to the reputation of that business. In my business, it is also required that we read very closely what people say and note inconsistencies in what they say. You accept a post of "about 50" as being close to 38, three weeks apart, when something of that nature would probably be something that stuck with a host when they made a point of sharing that little tidbit with everyone. Good for you. That isn't acceptable for when someone seems so bizarrely concerned with making sure that everyone knows just how well their business is growing. If it is growing, great. I prefer hosts that are confident enough that they don't need constant reassurance that they're doing a good job. Self-esteem counts for a lot.

For your point about bitserve's script, grow up. In your haste to try to accuse me of not reading carefully, you seem to have lost track of time. A few days from now will be Wednesday. I have today's figures. Do you think a comparison cannot be made between now and the next update?

I said this before and I say it again, if the person next to you is lying or if you think they are lying, so be it. However much you make is what you make and hopefully you can improve on that, make more and improve your company. If someone else is saying they had 20 orders instead of 15, maybe they made a mistake, maybe they lied, the point is it doesn't hurt your life so get over it, its not about what the guy next to you makes, its about what you make.

From what I've read Tina seems to be a dedicated professional with no real reason to lie. Maybe she only had 38 hours, maybe it was 50, maybe she made a mistake but either way that’s awesome, good job! Clearly the fact that she encouraged you to check her nameserver results shows that she’s not here to lie or pretend to be something she isn't. We can go on and on comparing numbers, trying to figure out what’s happening, insulting each other but what’s the point... to possibly prove that someone else overstated something while certainly proving that we can waste time?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast