100GB BW for $9.95/mo ?????

How come liveplanets.com seem to offer this deal? Do you think they will stay in the business for long? I noticed their site takes time to load. I on ADSL connection, which is quite fast.

500 MB of SPACE
    100 GB of Bandwidth
    FrontPage, cgi, PHP4, JSP, ASP
    FREE cgi Scripts
    NO Set-up FEES
    Cost: $9.95/mo

Liveplanets.com

They would probably just suspend your account (for some AUP violation no doubt) if you were to use more than a couple of gigabytes of bandwidth. That's how hosts offering "unlimited bandwidth" do it, and this isn't any different.

Even with Cogent bandwidth, there is absolutely no way they could offer this deal.
    Hostit365.com - Reliable Web Hosting with magical support
    cPanel #1 Web Hosting Control Panel Included
    WHT members benefit from our industry leading 60 day money back guarantee with no small print
    Now accepting PayPal™ - Click here to order now

Their AUP says it all:

Refusal of Service

We reserve the right to refuse, cancel or suspend service at our sole discretion.

Umm... yeah. Nothing about bandwidth overage fees, so I'm guessing they don't expect people to even come close to going over before they term their account. The Bat Rastards!

I'm am so fed up with the whole 30+ gigs of bandwidth being advertised and sold to customers but never being allotted. This is false advertising, and the day a bunch of PO'd webmasters get together and make sure the law starts protecting us *internet* consumers is the day I'm gonna sing Hallelujah Bro!

holy rollin'
    ochiba

I don't know who their uplink provider is, but if the have 500 accounts (random number) on a server with 100Gb each that's:

500 X 100Gb = 50,000 Gb per month!

And thats assuming they have one server!

I think your account will be closed and everyone else who even gets close to 100Gb before they will allow that! At least for 9 bucks a month.

Though I may be wrong.

Dig down into the site a bit, and you'll see some rather interesting things, all dodgy, if you ask me. Claims about being the oldest (insert whatever here, from the about us page) when the WHOIS shows April 2000 as the creation date aside, when you view the comparison chart from the link that actually works, you see that their plans start as "low as 6.95" but the chart lists 3.95/10G (at least it isn't as bad as the host from whom they lifted their content, whose same chart has "unlimited" data transfer). You could look at the code to find out what that 6.95 leads to and see this:

Our award winning shared hosting packages provide the support and reliability needed for a successful online presence. With plans starting for as little as a
    Code:
    <href="http://***********.com/standard_plan.htm">$6.95</a>
    and a 99.9% uptime guarantee, we leave no room for failure.
    Technicians are available around the clock, all year round to make sure you have a truly enjoyable experience.

It's just another host ripping off portions of someone else's site, really, and then trying to undercut what that other host offers by bumping up the offerings to insane levels. From the About us page at liveplanets (you missed one, whoever you are, and you've created a somewhat funny typo as well):

Data Security

HOSING24-7 will protect the confidentiality of its customers' information, account information and personal communications to the fullest extent possible and consistent with the law and the legitimate interests of LIVEPLANETS, its partners, its employees and other customers of LIVEPLANETS' services. To protect the loss, misuse, and alteration of information that is collected from customers, LIVEPLANETS has necessary physical, electronic, and managerial procedures in place.
    (bold my addition)

BTW, their overage for bandwidth is listed on the comparison chart, way down at the bottom. A buck a gig. Curiously enough, their control panel demo runs to a Verio IP. Looks pretty oddball to me, all things considered.

Tread carefully. Links below for each comparison chart.

http://www.liveplanets.com/compare.htm
    http://***********.com/shared_hosting.htm
    My answer to the most commonly asked question on WHT:
    Hosting Matters http://www.hostmatters.com
    FutureQuest http://www.futurequest.net

Ya, this kind of host just makes a whole lot of people frown on the hosting industry -----> Avoid.
    Laurence Flynn @ HostNEXUS.com
    Managed WordPress Hosting Solutions
    Focused on speed. Obsessed with security.

This is a secure order form. Information provided on this form is transmitted in an encrypted format for your protection.
    Hmmmm

100 GB for 9.95month...............
    ............hahahahahahahahaheeheehah......

Cogent bandwidth is about 9 CENTS per gb.

Originally posted by Tetraboy
    Cogent bandwidth is about 9 CENTS per gb.
    That would be assuming that you were to use 100% of the provided capacity at all times. If you were always using 100% of network capacity, that would mean that at peak times everything would grind to a halt, and at the best of times things would be extremely slow.
    Hostit365.com - Reliable Web Hosting with magical support
    cPanel #1 Web Hosting Control Panel Included
    WHT members benefit from our industry leading 60 day money back guarantee with no small print
    Now accepting PayPal™ - Click here to order now