Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Hi,

Here is my wishlist and dream of a good VPS provider;

1. Cpanel
    2. Fanstastico
    3. 5 GB space
    4. 50 GB bandwidth
    5. Online Public Forum (No secret trouble tickets)
    6. 1 IPs
    7. Unlimited everything else

And all this within a mere US$40 per month. Let me see if anyone else thinks i forgot anything or not to include in this wishlist?

In this debate between PowerVPS and Servint, I have not seen any mention of desire for telephone support. I am on the fence in terms of which company to choose but I am now leaning towards Servint after discovering that they offer 24/7 telephone support. I have no doubt, based on the comments I have read, that PowerVPS provides great support using their ticket system, but I find it comforting to know that I can dial a number and speak to a technician. The fact that at powevps, I can never speak to a technician on the phone is not a good thing.

Does anybody agree/disagree?

Originally posted by robs_77
    In this debate between PowerVPS and Servint, I have not seen any mention of desire for telephone support. I am on the fence in terms of which company to choose but I am now leaning towards Servint after discovering that they offer 24/7 telephone support. I have no doubt, based on the comments I have read, that PowerVPS provides great support using their ticket system, but I find it comforting to know that I can dial a number and speak to a technician. The fact that at powevps, I can never speak to a technician on the phone is not a good thing.

Does anybody agree/disagree?
    Just one slight correction, we offer emergency telephone support, meaning if your VPS was down, you were hacked, DoS attack, or anything critical as such, you can certainly dial our 888 number. We don't offer telephone support for day to day operations of your VPS for many reasons, one being that it is faster to submit a ticket and let an engineer work on it and resolve the problem without being on the phone, plus this gives us a tracking method for all customers, past history, etc.

That being said, we have a few customers that will call us because they are mobile, and we'll open a ticket for their problem, and resolve it via email and the helpdesk.

For the most part, our engineers answer and resolve tickets very fast, just ask our customers. You aren't getting a level 1 ticket taker that has to run and talk to a sysadmin or level 3 engineer, all of our helpdesk folks are level 3 experienced engineers, and can do anything required without delay and waiting to reach a sysadmin, higher level tech, etc.
    Last edited by TomK; 04-06-2005 at 02:50 AM.

That's good to know. Thanks for responding, I am now back in the middle with powevps having equal chance.

I have new server on Servint, and it is veeery slooow.
    overload is 5 average.
    Dinix was faster

Dinix R.I.P.

Originally posted by Cure
    overload is 5 average.
    Dinix was faster

Dinix R.I.P.
    Shoot the ServInt NOC and email. They should be able to tweak some things to bring the load down a little bit.

I myself would like to know which one (PowerVPS or ServInt) has a advantage over the other.

I contacted PowerVPS support and ServInt late night, both responded within 4 hours. Support Time for both is almost exactly the same. I noticed some spelling mistakes with one of the responses of PowerVPS.

Both offer RVskin & Fantastico except PowerVPS includes them for free and you have to pay $32 setup-fee with ServInt.

Someone who had experience with both providers, post who you think is better.

Originally posted by Cure
    overload is 5 average.
    Dinix was faster

Dinix R.I.P.
    Well ServInt does not overload their servers, I know that for a fact. Join their forums and take a look at the excellent Optimization Guide written by Doug in there. If you follow most of the suggestions there, you should bring your load down.

You can simply log into SSH and run "top" to see what is taking up the load.

Heavy load on your VPS is not really their fault, but I bet they will be glad to help you out.
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

I only said that servnt is very slow in last few days...
    maybe it is becouse of all dinix refugees
    I hope it will be very faster in future

servint seems to have slow speed history if you checked wth for a while. However, my vpscolo is not fast too...

so, in the day that dedicated is only $60, going to vps is not that smart move at all. A celeron box dedi could beat vps easily

Which company do you recommand that is in the $60 range?

$60 dedi is either a crap box partially managed or unmanaged mid-range box.

$45-60 VPS is generally managed, decent specs (at least 256MB dedicated ram...), on a box with RAID disks (which the dedi doesn't have), triple-redundant PSUs in most, many have dual-redundant network cards, redundant fans, and burstable to a chunk of the overall box (burst is higher than the dedi specs, like 3Ghz & 1GB+ ram...).

-d
    David Chait, Editor
    CHAITGEAR - Consumer electronics news and reviews

I've been with ServInt for almost a year and came from a reseller account. I've been very happy at ServInt and haven't had any speed issues.

One of the main reasons I went with a VPS and especially one from ServInt is because:

1) I was tired of my host having their finger on the SUSPEND ACCOUNT button saying "sorry, you're using too many resources... bye." and suspending my reseller account. Even though the "isolation" on a VPS isn't perfect, it works for what I need it to do.
    2) I knew I was outgrowing my reseller account, but wasn't anywhere close to needing or wanting a dedicated.
    3) I want fully managed! My business is not as a server admin and I don't want it to be. It's all about specialization of resources, and that's where ServInt comes in.

For the price I'm getting a lot. Sure I could find a dedicated box in some kid's basement for $30 a month, but I'd have to be the server admin and spend all my time doing something I don't want to do.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234