NY, NJ or CT Cage Pricing

As per the title I am looking for high level feedback on fellow WHT members that have their own Cages with a reputable provider. So far we've been looking at Equinix in Secaucus, New Jersey. I am not looking for offers of any kind as that is against the rules but I am looking for high level estimates for 50" or 100" Cages or enough Cage space for 4 and/or 8 Cabinets in around the New York and New Jersey area.

Also it would be good to know what kind of power to expect standard if any...

With Equinix, it does not matter the cage space. What you will buy is the number of cabinets (and power), regardless of the cage space. So if you can get 4 cabinets on a 100 sq feet cage, then you basically get the extra space for free.

Equinix has two data centers in Secaucus (NY2 and NY4). Which one did you check out? Pricing on NY2 would be cheaper. They would try to sell you NY4 since it's their newest data center and is built for more power density. Though with many customers moving from NY2 to NY4, I believe NY2 has more power to spare now (it used to be that you can't even get additional power at NY2 at all). And in fact, I do get allocated more power on my cage than what's the power density supposed to be. So do make sure you ask about NY2.
    Fluid Hosting, LLC - Enterprise Cloud Infrastructure: Cloud Shared and Reseller, Cloud VPS, and Cloud Hybrid Server

Thanks FHDave. We are still in the planning stage but will need to make sone kind of decision in the next few months. The initial contact that I had with Equinix listed Equinix IBX as the POP but I am not sure if this is NY2 or NY4. Our past understandings from providers like Telia or Telx is your just buying space + power not the actual Cabinets included in the package.

So you could buy 100" and get charged per KVa and then its up to you to purchase the cabinets, etc but basically the sky is the limit in terms of what you can actually do with the space. Is this different with Equinix? I know you leverage Equinix for years so I will bow to your experience.

Unlike other data centers, you can't just ask to pay 100 sq ft of cage and then try to put as much cabinets as you can in the cage. You are not paying by the sq. ft. You are paying the number of cabinets. And if you buy enough cabinets, they will consider building a cage for you. I believe you would need 4 (if not 5) cabinets to get a private cage. (Note: this was back in 2004 when, so the number could be different now).

Equinix standard cabinet is 2"x3" (WXD). Assuming your cage only have 1 row of cabinets, then you will have ~18 sq. ft per cab as Equinix will put ~3 feet of space in front and on the back of the cab. You will also get ~18 feet of empty space from the cage door to your first cab. So for our setup (5 cabs), we get ~108 sq. ft cage, which is bigger than what some other data centers will give you. This can be advantageous. On the other hand, unlike other data centers, you can't just put as many cabinets you want in your space. Equinix will maintain the number of cabinets on your cage.

I have seen a similar cage like ours but only with 4 (instead of 5 cabs); there is a pillar of steel in the cage, preventing the 5th cab to be installed. Well, this works fine if all you need is 4 cabs. You get to pay only for 4 cabs but still get 108 sq. feet of cage. You use the rest of the cage space for your storage. See if you can get that kind of cage

Hope that helps.
    Fluid Hosting, LLC - Enterprise Cloud Infrastructure: Cloud Shared and Reseller, Cloud VPS, and Cloud Hybrid Server